Breastfeeding

Help me set a goal! I want to lose 10-15 pounds, and I’m still breastfeeding an 11 month old. My app has been set at 1280 calories for a long time, and it’s so hard! I’m starving all the time. I eat a lot of protein, but I’m doing really bad with snacks since I’m hungry all the time. How many calories should I be eating???? Please help.

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    amberwy12 wrote: »
    Help me set a goal! I want to lose 10-15 pounds, and I’m still breastfeeding an 11 month old. My app has been set at 1280 calories for a long time, and it’s so hard! I’m starving all the time. I eat a lot of protein, but I’m doing really bad with snacks since I’m hungry all the time. How many calories should I be eating???? Please help.

If you only need to lose 10-15 lbs, you should only be trying to lose 0.5lbs per week, maybe 1 lb. But breastfeeding burns calories, so you need to be fueling that. Most of the posts I have seen say that they set their goal to maintenance and eat those calories, and then the breastfeeding calorie burn creates their deficit.

What weekly goal are you set to, and how many calories do you end up actually eating every day? Is your supply okay?
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,323 Member
    it would be better for you to talk to either a lactation consultant or registered dietician...your baby is involved in these decisions. ins will pay.
  • amberwy12
    amberwy12 Posts: 5 Member
    I don’t exactly have a goal. I eat roughly 2000 calories per day, and I never gain weight. My supply is abundant, in fact I make too much. My daughter eats 3 meals per day, and will be weaned within the next 6 months. We’re not talking about a newborn who’s only source of food is breast milk.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited January 2019
    amberwy12 wrote: »
    I don’t exactly have a goal. I eat roughly 2000 calories per day, and I never gain weight. My supply is abundant, in fact I make too much. My daughter eats 3 meals per day, and will be weaned within the next 6 months. We’re not talking about a newborn who’s only source of food is breast milk.

OK, so I would suggest logging really accurately and consistently for a couple of weeks so you know how many calories you've been eating. Once you have that, set your goal to 250 cals less than that number. That deficit gives you a 0.5lb goal per week. Once she's weaned, you'll need to eat a little less or exercise a little more to make up for whatever calories that was burning as well.

Keep in mind, the last 10 lbs is TOUGH, because it can easily hide behind water weight fluctuations on the scale, sometimes for weeks at a time.

Check out these posts, not sure if they apply but you might find further insight there as well, good luck!

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1234699/logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide/p1

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat/p1
  • amberwy12
    amberwy12 Posts: 5 Member
    Kimny, that has been very helpful! Thank you so much!

I’m also looking for free workout routines I can do at home. I used to do body combat and body pump for a few years and loved it. If there is something on YouTube or amazon I could get into, I’d love to hear some suggestions.