What just happened here?

Options
Since starting 6 weeks ago I've been losing 2lb a week on average. At the beginning of last week I decided to switch from my usual 5K walks to 30DS. I only did it for 2 days before I remembered why I hate working out to videos and went back to walking. On Monday and Tuesday I did the Shred, on Wednesday I weighed in 2lbs heavier than I had been. I chalked it up to water weight, increased my water intake and waited for the scale to go back down. Not only did it not go down it went up another 4lbs this morning. I'm tracking my food and I know I haven't eaten anywhere near enough food to create a 6lb gain, my sodium is well under the limit, I'm drinking 64oz of water a day and walking 5K every morning. I eat my exercise calories. TOM is not due for another 2 weeks. I don't understand what happened.

I'm lost and feeling discouraged, it feels like 3 weeks of work were for nothing and I'm right back where I started.

Replies

• Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    Hmm... if TOM is due in about 2 weeks, you could be ovulating. I don't know if that has anything to do with weight gain or not, but it's a possible cause (TOM isn't the only time our hormones go crazy).
    Hopefully it's just some weird fluke and things will go back to normal soon!
  • echeindl
    echeindl Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I would try not eating your exercise calories, or at least not eating all of them
  • JennysMan
    Options
    Stick to it....sometimes your body responds to different exercises in different ways. I'm betting that if you stick to it, those pounds will fall back off very soon as quickly as you gained them! Keep a smile on your face and keep forging ahead!
  • SkateboardFi
    SkateboardFi Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    Stick to it....sometimes your body responds to different exercises in different ways. I'm betting that if you stick to it, those pounds will fall back off very soon as quickly as you gained them! Keep a smile on your face and keep forging ahead!

this. i wouldn't recommend not eating your exercise cals back ESPECIALLY if your intake goal is set at the minimum of 1200, if you have it set higher that might give you more wiggle room but i wouldn't deprive myself
  • ellumi
    ellumi Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I had the same thing happen when doing 30DS. I figured it must've been from exercising muscles that I hadn't used in awhile (er...a LONG while :embarassed: ), but weight continued to go up.

I ended up abandoning 30DS because I was quite discouraged and picked up C25K and am losing again. Maybe it would've leveled out and a loss may have eventually showed but I was impatient and am down to the last 10 +/- pounds and didn't want to feel like I was gaining a lot.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    Since starting 6 weeks ago I've been losing 2lb a week on average. At the beginning of last week I decided to switch from my usual 5K walks to 30DS. I only did it for 2 days before I remembered why I hate working out to videos and went back to walking. On Monday and Tuesday I did the Shred, on Wednesday I weighed in 2lbs heavier than I had been. I chalked it up to water weight, increased my water intake and waited for the scale to go back down. Not only did it not go down it went up another 4lbs this morning. I'm tracking my food and I know I haven't eaten anywhere near enough food to create a 6lb gain, my sodium is well under the limit, I'm drinking 64oz of water a day and walking 5K every morning. I eat my exercise calories. TOM is not due for another 2 weeks. I don't understand what happened.

I'm lost and feeling discouraged, it feels like 3 weeks of work were for nothing and I'm right back where I started.
    Muscle recovery can take up to 72 hours (which is why 2 days after working out hard you're more sore than the day after). It's water retention. It will subside if you stay consistent.
  • foremant86
    foremant86 Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    Yep sounds like your muscles are just holding onto water, especially since your normal exercise is walking.
  • crystalslight
    crystalslight Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Don't give up. Sometimes our bodies don't cooperate like their supposed to. I did the 30DS with GREAT results. My weight fluctuated alot during the 30DS. It's still fluctuating.
    If you enjoy the running and it was what was working. Just stick with that. No need to fix something that isn't broken.
    Don't get too worried the weight will come off. Just keep up the good work.
  • Aeliyah
    Aeliyah Posts: 247
    Options
    I gained 3 lbs in the first 4 days of 30DS... I was very upset about it. But, 30DS is geared towards losing inches, even though it says "lose up to 20 lbs in 30 days blah blah". The 30DS is effective for what it's meant to do, there is no doubt about that. If you enjoy the workout, I would suggest keeping at it for the 30 days and see what happens - that's my plan. If you prefer walking, and want to stick with what you know works for your body, then my suggestion would be to go back to walking.

Best of luck :)
  • bentobee
    bentobee Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I've expeienced just the same thing the last couple weeks. My usual exercise is from the gym - 30 min on ARC trainer, 15-20min rowing, then cooling down with a walk/jog on the track. Sometimes I cycle through the weight machines.

Then last week I started doing Jillian's Shred It with Weights - the kettlebell workout. My weight popped up 3 pounds and has stayed there since. It's uber frustrating! But I know it will all work out. Just stay the course.
  • AlyBelden
    Options
    I'm starting to notice every time I do a new or harder workout with weights (to where my muscles are sore 1-2 days following) my scale goes up. I've read your muscles hold onto water while they are recovering.
  • rachel1496
    Options
    Thanks for the replies, I guess it's nice to know that it's not just my body trying to test how motivated I really am.

I have a question about the walking if anyone knows the answer. I have 3 routes I use, all of them are fairly hilly and I take the kids with me so I'm pushing a double jogger with 80lbs in it (70lbs for the kids and a 10lb bag of flour I toss in the basket for added weight). I read somewhere that walking while pushing the stroller will give me a bit of an arm workout. Is there any truth to that or am I fooling myself there?
  • darlilama
    darlilama Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I don't know how great of an arm workout that is, but geez!! I'd probably pass out is I was pushing that much weight uphill. ;0) My advice is to do what you like, but you do need to change it up now and again. Not just for mental reasons, but because your body will adapt to the exercises and you won't get as much benefit out of them.
  • jpamplin28
    jpamplin28 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I do 30DS and my scale has been all over the place this week but I has lost at least .5 inch everywhere since my last measurement check two weeks ago. Be sure to take your measurements. You could be losing inches fast than lbs.