Healthy Restaurant Choices

Options
I am celebrating the last night of summer with my husband tonight and we are going out to dinner. I only have 600 calories left for the day any restaurant suggestions?

Replies

• kmcallahan2010
    Options
    Anywhere, there are really healthy choices at every restaurant, you just have to sift through the crap, like no french fries or anything fried. grilled chicken is always safe, but stay away from the appetizers. opt for grilled vegetables or rice as a side and you should easily meet your goal.
    If they serve bread as a restaurant, tell them to not bring it out, or if your husband really wants it, order a side salad to eat as he eats the bread.
  • Lindz2323
    Lindz2323 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Applebees has a weight watchers menu for 550 calories or less meals =) My mom tried their teriyaki chicken pasta and LOVED it!

You can see what they have ahead of time on www.applebees.com if you'd like =)
  • vanessaclarkgbr
    vanessaclarkgbr Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    I'd get out and walk for a bit, or squeeze in some Wii time if you have one...I generally choose fish, any sauces would be tomato based not cream/butter and on the side. I don't choose anything fried, and ask them to go easy on the salt (I'm lucky as I don't like it much anyway). Chicken is ok too, but I stick to the sauce rule above. I watch their plans for the potatoes too (roast will probably push you over) and for 600 calories wouldn't eat too many new potatoes etc. Salad would be perfect but make it clear to them you can't have the dressing. I'm always polite, but tell them I literally want veggies and my meat/fish and that's it, anything else on the side. That said, if it's a one off enjoy! You can always work out more to shift it if you don't go too mad!
  • chezmama
    chezmama Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I would second the Applebee's suggestion, because they have a whole menu of selections for under 550 calories, but when you eat the entrees, you leave feeling like you have had a good meal.
  • kb_CG_wife
    kb_CG_wife Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Applebees also has a shrimp and steak combo on their weight watchers menu. It's DELICIOUS! It comes with fresh veggies too!
  • Lindz2323
    Lindz2323 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I would second the Applebee's suggestion, because they have a whole menu of selections for under 550 calories, but when you eat the entrees, you leave feeling like you have had a good meal.

I still need to try them sometime, my mom keeps telling me how good the meal was that she got twice now lol =)
  • cherrikim
    cherrikim Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Applebee's for their Under 550 selections & the Weight Watcher's selections, the tilapia on is very good. Check online for the restaurants your interested in since most supply their nutrients on their website so you can plan early.
  • sinclare
    sinclare Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    nothing fried. nothing with cheese. take it easy on the sauces.

600 cal is plenty if you eat clean.
  • maureendonahue
    maureendonahue Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Applebee's had the Assiago Steak with grilled veggies and grilled potatos that was fantastic and less than 400 calories. (Leaves a little room for dessert!)

At Red Robin, you can get a Simply Grilled Chicken Breast on a lettuce bun (ask for no mayo) that was under 400 calories-so you can have a few french fries.

I often used the restaurant's online information to figure out what to have before I go (hence the Red Robin option!). And I usually try to get an extra walk in either before or after dinner to get some extra calories.

No matter what you do, enjoy your time with your hubby!
  • omgzstef
    omgzstef Posts: 157
    Options
    Anything that is broiled, cajun, blackened, etc. Avoid fried, battered or anything along those lines!
  • KnottyNCrotchety
    Options
    Applebee's had the Assiago Steak with grilled veggies and grilled potatos that was fantastic and less than 400 calories. (Leaves a little room for dessert!)

At Red Robin, you can get a Simply Grilled Chicken Breast on a lettuce bun (ask for no mayo) that was under 400 calories-so you can have a few french fries.

I often used the restaurant's online information to figure out what to have before I go (hence the Red Robin option!). And I usually try to get an extra walk in either before or after dinner to get some extra calories.

No matter what you do, enjoy your time with your hubby!

I am curious if an independent body checks these total calories. I am leery of just taking the restaurants word for it on the amount of calories in a meal. It is obviously their intent to sell food, not to make sure we all eat healthier. I am not saying they are totally wrong, just that I would be careful before I took the number of calories for one of their meals as gospel.

Less than 400 calories for steak with asiago cheese and grilled potatoes seems very low unless it is a tiny steak. Using the MFP database just for a quick comparison, any lean grilled steak is about 60 calories an oz, for a 4 oz steak that is 240 calories, asiago cheese would add another 25 or so calories, and 2oz of grilled potatoes is another 100-150 calories. That is already more than 400 calories, not including the veggies, olive oil, etc to cook it with. This also doesn't take into account the individual line cook that is preparing the meal and whether they measure out everything the exact way it is calculated for the menu or if they are "estimating" the amount of olive oil or what have you they are cooking with.