Beer

Options
I’m craving beer. Will it be ok to drink a couple as long as I remain under my calorie goal? Or will it mess up my metabolism?

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    I do. It is all about the calories.
  • Running2Fit
    Running2Fit Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    As long as you are under your calorie goal it’s fine. I had more than a few glasses of champagne throughout December and still lost weight.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Good heavens, a big yes. Enjoy a couple of beer.

Unless you are planning on not drinking once you reach maintenance, learn how to fit it in without compromising your nutrition.

I went from quaffing pints of full bodied ale, to having my favourite to begin with, then switching (sob) to light beer. I am quite small so it was a good, though heartbreaking, move for me.

Cheers, h.
  • nk9o
    nk9o Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I bought a variety case of Linnies during the holidays. As long as it met my calorie goals it played no havoc to my weight loss all through the holidays.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Make sure it's a good one!
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    The above two posts are crucial to the topic.

863v8zmsuc7v.png
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Yes, Guiness is cheap on calories.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    And filling!
  • StargazerB
    StargazerB Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    Just make sure it's a good beer!
  • funjen1972
    funjen1972 Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    Try Miller 64 or Bud 55 if you can stomach the cheap stuff. It certainly isn't good beer, but it's a decent compromise to stay within a calorie budget.
  • kbushe3221
    kbushe3221 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    As long as you don’t go above your calorie goal your good. I always drank beer and lost weight as long as I hit my calorie goal. Sometimes I would do a little extra cardio that morning. Also, sometimes low calorie beer (Miller 64) may be tempting but here is less alcohol therefore I would drink more and end up consuming more calories. Mich Ultra and bud light are better choices 95-110 cal a beer but sometimes I just need a Sam Adams so I fit them in.
  • kbushe3221
    kbushe3221 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Taking shots also worked for me!
  • rianneonamission
    rianneonamission Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Yes, enjoy a beer! The only thing with alcohol is that it can cause water weight. So don't be disheartened if your weight seems high the days after a few beers. I know that having a few gins of an evening sends my weight up a lb or 2.

And also, don't beat yourself up for going over your calories for the day, as long as you stay under your calories for the week. E.g.: Some people religiously stick to the same number of calories daily whereas others limit themselves a bit more 6 days of the week and have a blowout on day 7. Say your weekly calorie allowance is 12600 calories, you can split it across the week as you choose. For instance:

12600 calories / 7 days = 1800 cals a day

But, you maybe want one day a week with a higher calorie count in order to enjoy some beers and a take away:

1500 calories * 6 days = 9000 calories, leaving 3600 for day 7. Still totalling 12600 calories for the week.

Whichever way, watch your overall calorie intake, but don't forget to enjoy life. And if beer/cake/gin/fried food is a part of that, then why not enjoy it?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    rick3b wrote: »
    I’m craving beer. Will it be ok to drink a couple as long as I remain under my calorie goal? Or will it mess up my metabolism?

It's not going to do anything to your metabolism. That said, I really struggle when I'm trying to lose weight with drinking beer. Most beer that I enjoy is going to be a minimum of 150 calories but closer to 200+ in most cases, particularly as it's winter and this time of year I enjoy IPAs and winter beers...it's usually just easier for me to cut out the beer and stick to vodka and a diet tonic or other mixer if I want a drink...I might throw in the occasional beer in there on a Saturday or something.
  • KNoceros
    KNoceros Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    OP, I have managed to fit in a couple of pints of beer (British real ale) into my diet several times a week while losing 12kg and then for 2 years maintaining at about 62kg (137lb). As others have said, it’s just about the calories.

That said, I do most of my drinking on gym/exercise days. ( ‘coz I have “spare” calories those days!)