Breakfast Ideas?

Options
I always have trouble figuring out what to eat for breakfast... even lunch. I usually eat only eggs or oatmeal and it's safe to say, I'm getting bored of the non-excitement in my meals. Any suggestions?!

Replies

• aclark6818
    aclark6818 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    You should check out Hungry Girl (online or on cooking network or her books). She has alot of interesting breakfast/food ideas!!! Good Luck
    :flowerforyou:
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Find other things to get excited about.
  • suevlaki71
    Options
    I'm having challenges for breakfast too. I've been having yogurt, cottage cheese, hard boiled egg. I know they say breakfast is the most important meal of the day, but since I've started this program/using this site, I'm finding I prefer a lighter breakfast and using more of my calories at lunch/dinner.
  • hedwardsb
    hedwardsb Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    My new favorite is whole grain waffles topped with 3/4 to a cup of defrosted Dole Wildly Nutritious berries & a tablespoon of plain, nonfat Greek yogurt. It's quick because you can make the batter ahead & leave it in the fridge. It's perfect for me as a teacher now that we're back in school because I can serve my children a hot breakfast without much effort in the morning.

Here's the recipe for the waffles. http://allrecipes.com/recipe/whole-grain-waffles/detail.aspx
    I didn't have flax seed meal, so I ground oatmeal & used a 1/2 cup after grinding.
  • knewbill72
    knewbill72 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Try doing lunch or dinner type meals for breakfast from time to time.
  • kikrs
    kikrs Posts: 4
    Options
    Cook up some Quinoa, add some applesauce, cinnamon, raisens & milk and heat up. Sort of like a rice pudding and some protein to start your day
  • bhagavatilad1
    Options
    toast is great with any food preserve spread on it or even cream cheese on bagels delicious. You can have this and some more food and call it brunch.
  • Spurrowell
    Options
    Breakfast is the hardest meal for me also, However, If you eat more calories at the start of the day it is easier to work them off through out the day. Take the stairs, park farther away and walk, plan on a lite dinner, This is how it stays exciting think about how to maximize your food and minimize you workout. Rev it up.
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Eggs don't have to be boring. They're great high-protein foods to get you started in the morning. Try varying the spices & preparation. Simple hard-boiled with pepper is easy, or dice up some hard-boiled eggs with a tablespoon of mustard and sprinkle of paprika. You can break two eggs into a plastic bag, add any cheese / meat / veggies / spices you like, and microwave it for a no-mess omelet. I like Spam and salsa, myself.
  • wvjanie
    wvjanie Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I use a small crock pot and put mixed grains, like oat groats, wheat berries, Bob's Red Mill grain mixes, etc..., in the night before so they are cooked and ready in the morning (you can put a timer on it depending on how long you need it to cook). Then all I have to do is come up with creative toppings: apples sauteed (without oil) with cinnamon and nuts, other fruits, fruit sauces, etc... Whole grain waffles (which can be made ahead and frozen) with applesauce and fresh fruit. Whole grain bread made into french toast using egg whites or Eggbeaters, again with a fruit sauce and fresh fruit. Baked oatmeal recipes are another great way to eat oatmeal that is different, as well (love it made with coconut and blueberries).
  • tmarie2715
    tmarie2715 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    I just made a banana "pancake" from the recipe board.

Half of a banana, mashed
    1/2 cup egg whites (2 large eggs)
    dash of cinnamon

Mix it all up and cook it with nonstick spray. YUM! Mine came out to be 93 calories for three 4" pancakes.
  • sleepydaisy7
    Options
    My absolute favorite breakfast food is from the Clean Eating Magazine - it's their version of a breakfast sandwich.

1 lite english muffin
    1 egg
    spinach leaves (I usually use 4 or so)
    1 tbsp light cream cheese
    1 slice tomato
    hot sauce to taste

Toast muffin and poach egg to however you like it done. Lightly wilt spinach in a pan with nonstick spray. On toasted muffin, spread cream cheese on both sides, place tomato slice on top. Place wilted spinach on bottom and then place poached egg on that. Add hot sauce to taste.

It's really yummy and only is anywhere from 230 to 250 calories (depends on your cream cheese, etc). It sounds like a lot of work, but I can put mine together in about 10 minutes now.

I also second Hungry Girl. Loads of good ideas.
  • futurefitgirl88
    Options
    1 table spoon peanut butter on 1 whole wheat toast
    banana
    coffee (with some milk+ sweetener)

works out to about 300 calories :)
  • KimberlyDenice
    Options
    I saw where someone had a link on here for chocolate covered katie. It had some awesome oatmeal dishes with fruits and chocolates. That were sooo lowfat and made with things i would never think of.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I make my omelets the night before, and throw in some bell peppers and feta cheese (the feta is so delicious but watch the sodium).

I wouldn't take the advice to cook anything in plastic like someone suggested. The chemicals from the plastic will make their way into your food. Bad idea.

You can also have plain balkan yogurt (greek, whatever they wanna call it) with blueberries or any kind of berries and some honey if you like it sweet.
    Cottage cheese is good.
    I'm not a breakfast person so I don't have a huge variety of options in mind lol
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't take the advice to cook anything in plastic like someone suggested. The chemicals from the plastic will make their way into your food. Bad idea.

This is an urban legend. There's nothing wrong with cooking in plastic.

http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/cookplastic.asp
  • dperez66a
    Options
    I try to mix up my breakfast meals, but I mostly eat 6oz of 0 fat Greek yogurt (I use Fage 0%), 1 cup of mixed berries, fresh, 1/2 cup of fiber one cereal. I mix it all together and it's a sweet and crunchy meal. Delicious!
  • VickiMitkins
    VickiMitkins Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I'm not a big breakfast person, but I do need something. My go to during the work week is low fat cottage cheese with fresh fruit. I use different fruit for variety. Love mangos and blueberries with it. I also add milled flax seed and ground almonds for crunch and more fiber. This comes in under 300 calories and has good protien and fiber. It's a little high on carbs and sugar, but its from the whole fruit so I don't worry. It's quick and easy. I spice breakfast up on the weekends with a bigger brunch type meal.
  • VickiMitkins
    VickiMitkins Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    PS. I'm gluten free so I am a bit limited in what I can do.
    I'm not a big breakfast person, but I do need something. My go to during the work week is low fat cottage cheese with fresh fruit. I use different fruit for variety. Love mangos and blueberries with it. I also add milled flax seed and ground almonds for crunch and more fiber. This comes in under 300 calories and has good protien and fiber. It's a little high on carbs and sugar, but its from the whole fruit so I don't worry. It's quick and easy. I spice breakfast up on the weekends with a bigger brunch type meal.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options

This is an urban legend. There's nothing wrong with cooking in plastic.

http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/cookplastic.asp

That article says the claim that such cooking causes cancer is a hoax - it only talked about cancer. I didn't say it causes cancer. However it does mess with your endocrine system, including reproductive hormones. For some reason I can't cut and paste from there but one of the quotes even states that for cooking, the safest bets are glass, ceramic and stainless steel, NOT plastic.

If you wanna screw up your endocrine/reproductive system, go ahead. It's your body.

http://www.jhsph.edu/publichealthnews/articles/halden_plastics.html

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/01/080130092108.htm

http://www.endocrine-disruptors.net/what_you_can_do.html