App to Track Fitness Benchmarks

I'm looking for an app to just keep track of my benchmarks. Like on January 4 I did three burpees and did not pass out. Then on July 12th I got better and was able to do five! I want to keep track of my progress in specific exercise like that.

It does not seem like any of the MyFitness family apps does that. Unless I am missing something. Does anyone have a suggestion for what I could use?

Replies

• moogie_fit
    moogie_fit Posts: 279 Member
    Agree with paper. I listened to a starting strength podcast and it said that in 10 years you'll still be doing fitness, but you won't have the same apps.
  • ckeuta
    ckeuta Posts: 1 Member
    I am using Fitness Point Pro, alot of Excersises and easy to keep track on
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    An app called STRONG is a good one. I was using pen and paper which I was devoted to for years, started using this one and ended up liking it. This will allow you to create workouts on the fly and/or repeat the previous workout(s) and each workout you repeat displays the the previous sets/reps/weight used. I use the free app, but it has a premium/upgrade option.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    edited January 2019
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    Why not just use a paper ledger book?
    Much faster and easier to review data.

ditto (for the planning & immediate recording at least). Much quicker and less hassle when in the gym.

I do record afterward on https://weightxreps.net (text-based entry - no having to click a bazillion places to record a workout). They now have an app - also quick to use (option for text based entry). It keeps track of personal bests (highest weight at various reps).

(ETA: obviously meant more for weighted exercises, but you can certainly just record 0x__. The app also allows for BWx__ entries)
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,215 Member
    I find myself using google docs/sheets more and more in all areas of life, fitness included. I've got a big ole spreadsheet sheet with like 8 tabs I can access from anywhere. Calculates my TDEE, tracks my weight trend, I build workout templates, track my max lifts, squirrel away links and copy/pasted info I want to keep, etc.

I still print out a hard copy of my workout plan for the week to check boxes while lifting but it always comes from the sheet. January 1 I save a duplicate and start fresh on data to keep it from getting too massive and can always go back and see what I did or what I weighed in past years. I've tried a variety of different apps and haven't been able to beat the customization and flexability of a spreadsheet.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    I found paper much more cumbersome and antiquated. I run excel which allows me to analyze a varied of data let total volume by cycle, total program, % improvement and much more. I can graphically show this by lifts as well. There are apps that can do this too, but i don't use them.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    I'm going to jump in here as I was going to ask a similar question.

I like the Strong Lifts app in how it tracks reps, weight and rest between sets. Is there something similar but not limited to the set SL program? Or does paying for the premium version allow you to add exercises? Basically, I'm do SL but adding assisted pull ups and wanting to add something to help with hip flexors.
  • StargazerB
    StargazerB Posts: 425 Member
    I like the fitnotes app for tracking.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    psuLemon wrote: »
    I found paper much more cumbersome and antiquated. I run excel which allows me to analyze a varied of data let total volume by cycle, total program, % improvement and much more. I can graphically show this by lifts as well. There are apps that can do this too, but i don't use them.

I program for myself as well as other people I coach/train. I too utilize other means for purpose of mesocycle analysis, measuring fatigue, useful volume graphs, wilks progress, etc...

While certainly excel and google docs are a fine means, I personally wouldn't have a purpose for graphs during actual training for me or the others that I program for.

I was speaking of ease of paper vs a "app" while in the gym for the purpose of reviewing and recording "not passing out during burpees" and other specific data. I would hope a graph for that specific data always goes upwards for the OP :).