Hip pain?

Options
So a couple of weeks ago I was dancing and experienced a severe sudden pain in my right hip which was excruciating and necessitated 3-4 days of anti inflammatories and complete rest. Any movement hurt. Sleeping was painful in any position. I am not a lightweight when it comes to pain, I’ve had bilateral knee surgery. This was really debilitating and severe. It lessened after a few days but the hip continued to be stiff and achy but the sharp pain subsided. I had an x ray, there was arthritis and the doc recommended an MRI to check for cartilage tears (which I haven’t done because I haven’t paid my deductible on my insurance this year and can’t afford after paying for a visit and X-ray - I just changed plans to a low deductible one and trying to wait until Jan when it starts.). A couple nights ago I was getting out of a car, hip still stiff, and there was a pop, a jab of pain, a couple really painful steps then it’s subsided although I think it’s achier than it was. I’ve hurt my knees and feet before but not hips! Anyone have any experience with hip injuries and any idea what this is? Any exercise suggestions or remedies that may help while I wait until my coverage improves in Jan?

Replies

• Sunshine_And_Sand
    Sunshine_And_Sand Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    It's probably a good idea to take it easy until you are able to get the MRI and go from there once you get the results. You don't want to make any injuries you may have worse.
    Did the doctor give you any restrictions/guidelines for what to avoid or do until you can get the MRI? If not, maybe ask him/her for some guidance on your activity.
    Also, cute dog in the profile pic. I used to have one that looked similar.
  • amy19355
    amy19355 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Rest and wait til you can see the doctor would be my choice. How can you have confidence in trying something when you don't know what caused it in the first place? I'd be worried about triggering a recurrance of the original pain, or causing a new unexpected problem.

take care hope it feels better soon and without a lot of hassle.
  • sytchequeen
    sytchequeen Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    It's not possible to say without proper medical information. I personally have had hip trouble, however the root cause was actually my back (and psoas muscle). It took quite a lot of digging and second opinions to get to the root cause, as all to frequently they seem to want to cure the symptoms and not find a solution. So, basically what I am saying is please don't assume cause, or try anything that "worked for someone else" without medical guidance. Gently does it...
  • megpie41
    megpie41 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I have actually had A LOT of experience with hip injuries (labral tear, FAI etc). If you have any questions, you could PM me and I'd be glad to talk with you. With the hip, there are a lot of different things that could be wrong (it could even stem from back issues and be referred pain). An MRI is really the only way to know if there is a labral tear (cartilage tear). Anti-inflammatories, and ice work well to ease pain. Core strengthening is what is usually recommended if it is truly a hip injury (which you don't know yet), because a strong core takes strain off the hips. Again, feel free to message me if you would like to talk.
  • peggy_polenta
    peggy_polenta Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    bursitis?
  • geiznekcm
    geiznekcm Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry you are experiencing such pain.
    How are you feeling now?

As everyone else advised, definitely seek out your physician.
    I have no medical knowledge, but I hope it is okay to share my experience with previous injuries:
    I am nursing a hip stress fracture, which I never would have known was a stress fracture unless I sought out my doctor and completed an MRI examination. Prior to the diagnosis, an x-ray had shown know signs of bone, ligament, or any damage. I was assured it was inflammation from bursitis, then was sent home.
    Keep us updated on your wellbeing. You are in my prayers!!
  • scalebeater
    scalebeater Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice! I’m still stiff and sore but hoping to get the MRI next week.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    The MRI will be helpful and your symptoms do sound consistent with a labral tear. If that's the case, rest and PT will help (but only surgery will fix). I have a labral tear (and FAI which is bone spurs on the ball part of my joint that like to scrape the torn cartilage).
  • SMKing75
    SMKing75 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I have had hip pain for nearly 3 years. Been through xrays, mri, PT, to an orthopedic surgeon and a sports medicine doctor. I have mild hip dysplasia and the surgeon "thought" a labral tear, although cannot prove without surgery. Tests all inconclusive. Sports medicine doc said not to mess with surgery if the cause is unknown and IF I have a tear, it will come back after surgery if they don't replace my hip. Since I am only 43 and fully mobile and have no arthritis there, he recommended against getting surgery. They have mentioned bursitis and cortisone shots, however, the long term prognosis of getting those shots sounds just as bad as the rest of it. And it's kind of trial and error since they aren't sure of my problem. So, for the most part I live with pain. It's not constant or debilitating. I am advised to not run or squat, leg press, etc for fear it can get worse. I do take pain medication when I cannot sleep. I walk 50 plus miles a week and so far, its been ok. I think it came about from running. Obviously, probably a congenital birth defect (hip) that I possibly made worse with hill running. Who knows because I used to run when I was young with issue. Who knows.
    I hope OP gets better answers.
  • namelesshere
    namelesshere Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    In October I got into our truck an had excruciating pain. Thought maybe I twisted funny getting in so waited a couple of weeks but pain didn't let up. Went to the doctor who immediately ordered a few tests including an MRI. Yup, cancer was back big time. Don't delay. You never know what those pains could be. Get to the DR.