Question about calories

chubbyandawkward
chubbyandawkward Posts: 71
edited October 1 in Health and Weight Loss
I ate 12 pieces of chocolate after dinner.

But MFP says I’ve eaten 1222 calories today. Will I not lose any weight because I ate chocolate? Or does it no matter because my overall cals are okay? My net is 738 for today.

Replies

• servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Such a large amount of sugar in any one sitting can't be good. It will cause an insulin rush, and once your regular cells have enough glucose, the rest will go into your fat stores. Chocolate is not evil in itself so eating chocolate doesn't necessarily mean you won't lose, but depends on how much you eat at once. I would never begrudge anyone their chocolate in moderation (I like it too, occasionally).
  • SailingMike
    SailingMike Posts: 237 Member
    Such a large amount of sugar in any one sitting can't be good. It will cause an insulin rush, and once your regular cells have enough glucose, the rest will go into your fat stores. Chocolate is not evil in itself so eating chocolate doesn't necessarily mean you won't lose, but depends on how much you eat at once. I would never begrudge anyone their chocolate in moderation (I like it too, occasionally).

I totally agree... depriving yourself of an occasional treat only leads to defeat. But have the treat in MODERATION and eat it slowly. Eating healthy and regular exercise is the ticket to long term success.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    I highly doubt 12 pieces of chocolate will undo all you've done.

I eat what I want, when I want it. I make sure I have enough room in my daily calories (or I workout and make room! lol), I eat the serving size of whatever it is I want, I log it and I move on.

It is not the end of the world. This is your life and not a diet. No one wants to go the rest of their life not enjoying some of the things the love. As long as you are doing it in moderation, you will be fine.
  • Amyding115
    Amyding115 Posts: 120
    Dieting isn't only counting calories. If you ate just under your daily allotment in calories in oreos you'd be fine in terms of the "number" of calories. Dieting also consists of exercise and making healthy choices. The healthier the choices you make the faster you wills see the results you want. That being said, everyone deserves a treat every now and then. If you go over your daily allotment to splurge on (chocolate, ice cream, burger, etc) it's OK. So long as you have those things in moderation. I think of it like this, it is a treat not a regular part of my routine.
  • lalalazzz
    lalalazzz Posts: 131 Member

I eat what I want, when I want it. I make sure I have enough room in my daily calories (or I workout and make room! lol), I eat the serving size of whatever it is I want, I log it and I move on.

It is not the end of the world. This is your life and not a diet. No one wants to go the rest of their life not enjoying some of the things the love. As long as you are doing it in moderation, you will be fine.

agreed! No big deal at all!!!! You are fine!!
  • Although it isnt very wise to do so.... but you will loose weight.
    sometimes i fill up my daily calories (1500) with ****ty foods. but end up losing weight over all.
    its all math.

calories in vs. calories out.

unless ure seriously starving yourself, then your thyroid will slow down... making your metabolism (BMR) lower... ...which will make ur fat loss lower... ull be sluggish/tired etc.
  • kikio79
    kikio79 Posts: 2 Member
    Chocolate in moderation is ok. Dark Chocolate is best. Ghiradelli sells Dark Chocolate Chips that I will set down with once every week. I only allow myself 32 chips (which is two servings) and then I will have a glass of skim milk or Moscato along with it. It is ok to treat yourself every once in a while. Just try to do it on days you have consumed a lot of calories!
  • SuzanneRogers
    SuzanneRogers Posts: 250 Member
    Best time to eat chocolate (sugar):

Great advice for when to eat cheat foods and do the least amount of harm to your progress.
    http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/best-time-cheat-your-diet

Fat: 10am (give you eating and fuel and all day to burn it off)
    Carb: 1pm (increase feel good hormones- )
    Sugar: 2pm (instant energy boost - alertness to beat afternoon slump)
    Alcohol: 5pm (small dosage - stimulant, high dosage -depressant)
  • angiolm
    angiolm Posts: 52

agreed! No big deal at all!!!! You are fine!!

Triple that thought on my part. You can eat whatever you like, but sooner or later you're going to need to look at the nutritional value of what you eat as well, especially if you are exercising and becoming more active. Your system can't keep healthy on sugar or fats alone.
This discussion has been closed.