No Carb/Low Carb & No Sugar Diet ideas?

Options
Anyone else doing this sort of diet?

Replies

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    Lots of people at MFP low carb, lots of people tend to cut way, way down on added sugar, although you can lose weight without doing either.

I eat semi-low carb just by preference when cutting calories, by which I mean I tend to not eat much of starchy foods other than beans (which I will eat as my protein source), and get most of my other carbs from fruits and veg. I also just naturally tend to eat more limited amounts of fruit in the winter, since nothing is really in season, although I might get on a clementine kick and I will eat berries and whatever else happens to catch my eye.

I also tend to not eat a lot of added sugar and am somewhat avoiding it at the moment (by which I really mean anything with significant added sugar, I don't care that sriracha has a bit). I am sure I will return to eating dessert-type foods in moderation eventually, though.

I personally would never do no carb, and never avoid all sugar (in fact, I don't avoid foods with intrinsic sugar at all and I prioritize vegetables in particular).
  • datrails
    datrails Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to get into keto diet. They limit carbs to 20 gram per day. That is super low. I haven't made it that low any day yet. I'm on Day 3. Any suggestions willingly accepted.
  • pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    Options
    datrails wrote: »
    I'm trying to get into keto diet. They limit carbs to 20 gram per day. That is super low. I haven't made it that low any day yet. I'm on Day 3. Any suggestions willingly accepted.

There is a right and wrong way to keto.

Recommend sites like ruled.me and https://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/recipes/
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options

You don't actually need to do 20/day to do keto. I could never do 20 g per day, as I struggled to get in all the vegetables I like on 35 g net per day. (I did keto for a while, as an experiment and just to see if I liked it.)

That said, look at where you are getting your carbs and cut back on those foods.
  • JaimeLaRae
    JaimeLaRae Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I'm following a low carb diet right now. I've had great success in the past. For me, this means lean meats, eggs, fiber rich veggies, healthy oils, high fiber veggies, a little cheese & the like. I am trying to keep around 25 carbs per day, not counting calories. Get creative with your foods & mix it up so you don't get bored. :smile:
  • FlyingMolly
    FlyingMolly Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »

You don't actually need to do 20/day to do keto. I could never do 20 g per day, as I struggled to get in all the vegetables I like on 35 g net per day. (I did keto for a while, as an experiment and just to see if I liked it.)

That said, look at where you are getting your carbs and cut back on those foods.

This. I’m in ketosis right now and have had over 100g of carbs today (check my diary). That won’t work for most people; similarly 20g is lower than necessary for most people. 30-50g net (not counting fiber) is usually the sweet spot for keto.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options

Are you using the keto strips to see if you are in ketosis or not? As others have said, you don't necessarily need to be under 20 grams of net carbs to be in ketosis.

(You are using net carbs, yes? Carbs - fiber?)
  • freshkemp440
    freshkemp440 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    JaimeLaRae wrote: »
    I'm following a low carb diet right now. I've had great success in the past. For me, this means lean meats, eggs, fiber rich veggies, healthy oils, high fiber veggies, a little cheese & the like. I am trying to keep around 25 carbs per day, not counting calories. Get creative with your foods & mix it up so you don't get bored. :smile:

I agree its a group of us and we are on day 3 meats, eggs, veggies and most of us are down nearly 2 pounds. We will definitely get creative
  • eve7166
    eve7166 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    For veggies try to stick to green vegetables. They tend to be the lowest carbs and good for you. I eat lean meats, nuts (moderate), seeds, eggs, lots of green veggies, avocados, and some cheese. I occasionally ( a few meals a week) I have tomatoes, onions, and peppers. If you want sweets go for super dark low sugar chocolate or berries. I also measure and track portions.
  • amailitarose
    amailitarose Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Coconut flour or almond flour as replacement. Zucchini or spaghetti squash for noodles. I love cauliflower mash but to do it right, you must steam til mush, and push excess water out thru mesh strainer, butter and cream cheese. Yum. Also, if you bake cauliflower with olive oil, thyme, and parm cheese at 425 for 30 mins till crisp and eat with a lower carb/sugar bbq sauce, taste just like chix nuggets. These few things helped me and my husband convert
  • tiffanyleilarsen
    tiffanyleilarsen Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I do really well if I stick to the levels that this website recommends for me. So I don't go no carb, but for me it's pretty low carb. Same with sugar.
  • tiffanyleilarsen
    tiffanyleilarsen Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Coconut flour or almond flour as replacement. Zucchini or spaghetti squash for noodles. I love cauliflower mash but to do it right, you must steam til mush, and push excess water out thru mesh strainer, butter and cream cheese. Yum. Also, if you bake cauliflower with olive oil, thyme, and parm cheese at 425 for 30 mins till crisp and eat with a lower carb/sugar bbq sauce, taste just like chix nuggets. These few things helped me and my husband convert

I love zucchini noodles.

Have you tried using cauliflower to make pizza? I didn't know it crisps until you mentioned it. I really want to find someone who has tried it.
  • maureenkhilde
    maureenkhilde Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    If you decide to go KETO please read about it prior to jumping in with both feet. Or trying it based on things you have heard but have not actually read yourself. I say this because Keto is the Hot diet of 2018/2019. But really people should make sure they are informed before jumping in. Decide are they going net carbs, regular carbs. Understand what is the number for carbs, and 20 is not the magic number.

There are multiple ways to make mashed cauliflower. I do not use the one stated above and mine turns out just fine.
    Anyone who is interested in Low Carb and or Keto I suggest head over to the Low Carb forum lots of good information is available there. I say this from the perspective of I am considered low carb, not keto and it is working well for me. But I have spent the time to do educational reading read the stickies lots of good info to help.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options

I love zucchini noodles.

Have you tried using cauliflower to make pizza? I didn't know it crisps until you mentioned it. I really want to find someone who has tried it.

I just made fathead pizza last night. Two pizzas fed my husband and four teen boys. Very filling! I modify the typical recipe because of nut allergies.

The crust is about
    1.5 c cheese (mozzarella, cheddar, etc) shredded
    1/4c coconut flour
    1/2 c flax meal
    Onion powder, salt, oregano, basil and garlic to taste
    2 eggs
    2 Tbs cream cheese

Microwave cheese and flours about 1-2 min until warm and mix, add eggs and cream cheese and mix. I knead with hands. Spread on a pizza pan. Cook at about 425 for ~10-15 min. Add tomato sauce, toppings and more more shredded cheese and cook another 7-11 min.

It's quite weird to watch tall teen boys only eat 3 slices of pizza... And then they skipped the usual bedtime snack! :D
  • KetoZandra
    KetoZandra Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    If your daily food diary was visible we can see what you are eating and help you.