2019 Best Overall Diet - Mediterranean Diet

Options
Does anyone here follow the Mediterranean Diet? Has it worked in losing weight?

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    nygr8guy wrote: »
    Does anyone here follow the Mediterranean Diet? Has it worked in losing weight?

If you like the foods and they are filling to you - they can help you lose weight IF you eat within your allotted calorie goal. For weight loss calories are king.
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    I personally like the Mediterranean Diet because I like the foods that that it features and it most closely matches what I would eat anyway. As we told you when you asked about Keto and WW, you truly can eat what you like. Just eat less than you burn. If the Mediterranean Diet has foods you like and it would make it easier for you to eat in a defecit, try it out.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    The med diet is just an eating pattern. It works for weight loss if you eat fewer calories than you burn.

I think it's a healthy way of eating. Based on this description of it: https://oldwayspt.org/traditional-diets/mediterranean-diet, I eat somewhat like it in that I tend to eat lots of fish, try to use beans and lentils as a regular source of protein instead of meat, and prioritize vegetables and a variety of veg and fruit. I also usually cook with olive oil and prefer olive oil and vinegar for a salad dressing.

I probably eat eggs, meat, and dairy more than the basic diet would include, but "moderate servings" and "infrequent" are squishy terms. I probably eat grains more rarely (although I usually eat whole grains when I eat grains). I eat more potatoes and sweet potatoes as carb sources (as well as beans, fruit, and veg). Part of this is just preference.

I don't particularly make foods that are common in the Mediterranean, although I do sometimes. I like many other styles of food.
  • nvpixie
    nvpixie Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    A few weeks ago, my boss mentioned he's on the Mediterranean diet so I checked it out. I've been struggling with not eating enough veggies. I'm going to log my food while I use the basic guidelines of the Mediterranean diet. I think it'll work well for me as it includes all the foods I love.