Macros

Options
AK2AZ
AK2AZ Posts: 14 Member
I have faithfully logged in to MFP for 1455 days now, I’m wondering if anyone really pays a lot of attention to the macro pie? I never really payed to much attention to it and been struggling the last year trying to drop the last 10 pounds, I had lost it but slowly gained it back and struggling to lose it again, it seems I’ve hit a plateau this last year, I faithfully work out 3-4 days a week including weights, so I’m not sure it’s muscle I’ve gained or what?? I decided I need to change something up and looked at my macros pie and noticed I have been eating way more protein and fat then carbs so I’m focusing now on my macros pie trying to balance things with good carbs and hopefully will help, my question is when I signed up with MFP did they automatically set my macros pie percentages when I signed up? It’s been so long I’m afraid to try and change things manually and wouldn’t know what to change them to.
Thanks for the help in advance.

Replies

• kdfits
    kdfits Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I only use MFP for macro counting. Exellent results. I’ve been counting macros for 3 years.
  • always_smilin_D
    always_smilin_D Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I personally would concentrate on measurements a tad bit more if you have been doing weights... my first time around I started at 157 in a size 12 in pants and ended in at 147 fitting in a size 3 -- remember muscle is denser than fat. Once you add weights the number on the scale is deceiving.
  • AK2AZ
    Options
    Honestly I feel like good upper and lower body, it’s my mid section I feel like I’m struggling with the weight. Not sure if it’s menopause approaching soon or what, I work my whole body in my work outs and switch my work outs frequently. I’m very active on my days that I don’t work out, working 2 jobs.
    I do feel like I’m carrying this last 10 pounds in my gut, even my back looks pretty good and toned.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    AK2AZ wrote: »
    Honestly I feel like good upper and lower body, it’s my mid section I feel like I’m struggling with the weight. Not sure if it’s menopause approaching soon or what, I work my whole body in my work outs and switch my work outs frequently. I’m very active on my days that I don’t work out, working 2 jobs.
    I do feel like I’m carrying this last 10 pounds in my gut, even my back looks pretty good and toned.

Yep, a lot of people find the gut is the last to go. Check out this post when you get a chance...

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1161603/so-you-want-a-nice-stomach/p1
  • AK2AZ
    Options
    Kdfits wrote: »
    I only use MFP for macro counting. Exellent results. I’ve been counting macros for 3 years.

Can you tell me what percentages I need to be at?

MFP has it auto set for protein 20% fat 30% carbs 50%

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

Macros don't directly affect weight loss, they are most useful for satiety and for health & fitness goals. Different people find different things filling, so different people do better with different macro distributions. For general good health as well as protecting muscle while in a deficit, the recommendation I usually see is at least 0.6-0.8g of protein per lb of goal body weight, and 0.3g of fat per.

I lost weight and have been maintaining with the MFP default, trying to get extra protein when I can.
  • me_jello
    me_jello Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Why don’t you try getting a body analysis where they measure fat, water, and lean muscle. Some gyms and doctors offices have the proper equipment.
  • sexysexy2
    sexysexy2 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am 52 years young and did keto for 6 months and lost a 18lbs. I fell off this December as life is too short not to enjoy yourself but I only gained 4lb in the whole of December to today. I am going back to it tomorrow 7/1/19 my macros are 5% total carbs 20% protein and 75% fat. I am on my way out of menopause and I must say that being on keto stopped most of my menopause systems by 95%. I did not have to take any other supplements or hormone replacements.
  • shustler79
    shustler79 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Wow that sounds fantastic. I have just started Keto today so I’m pleased to hear positive results from it, as well as weight loss. Also good to know what your macros are. Thanks.
  • neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Yes, I look at my macros consumption by the end of every day. Initially (300 days ago) I thought that I would eat much less carbs - in the region of 25 %. Over time my macros have slightly adjusted to about 30 % carbs and 35 % each fat and protein. I am happy with this mix and can live with my healthy meal plan long term. I am still not good with portion control, especially in restaurants or when invited somewhere. Otherwise I always prepare myself a meal plan for the next day and take it meal by meal. About 27 kg down, some 60 kg to go.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

Macros don't directly affect weight loss, they are most useful for satiety and for health & fitness goals. Different people find different things filling, so different people do better with different macro distributions. For general good health as well as protecting muscle while in a deficit, the recommendation I usually see is at least 0.6-0.8g of protein per lb of goal body weight, and 0.3g of fat per.

I lost weight and have been maintaining with the MFP default, trying to get extra protein when I can.

Quoted for emphasis! Protein and fats described above are seen as minimum targets. Carbs can fall where they may. There is no proven metabolic advantage to reducing carbs for fat loss. There is proof that adequate protein and resistance training protects existing muscle tissue in a calorie deficit.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,981 Member
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »

Quoted for emphasis! Protein and fats described above are seen as minimum targets. Carbs can fall where they may. There is no proven metabolic advantage to reducing carbs for fat loss. There is proof that adequate protein and resistance training protects existing muscle tissue in a calorie deficit.

I still say the quote for macros is for LBM, not total weight.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/819055/setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets/p1

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/819055/setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets/p1

I don't disagree. Kimmy used goal weight not total body weight. That is a reasonable ballpark and sometimes easier to figure than lbm for most people.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,981 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options

I don't disagree. Kimmy used goal weight not total body weight. That is a reasonable ballpark and sometimes easier to figure than lbm for most people.

There is no way I need 140g of protein. I weigh 140lbs. That's a 21-ish BMI. The NIH recommendation is
    Long-term consumption of protein at 2 g per kg BW per day is safe for healthy adults, and the tolerable upper limit is 3.5 g per kg BW per day for well-adapted subjects. Chronic high protein intake (>2 g per kg BW per day for adults) may result in digestive, renal, and vascular abnormalities and should be avoided.

...that would be 126g per day, max, for me if I used 2g per kg of my total current weight.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26797090