Working out while sick

I’ve had cold/flu symptoms the last 3 days, feels like it’s settling in my chest. I want to get my work out in today and tomorrow since these are my main work out days, I feel like I could get it done but not sure if I will make myself worse, does anyone ever work out while sick? I always listen to my body, which is why I feel like I could do it but I’m also known to push myself a lot. What are your thoughts on exercising while sick?

Replies

• lauragreenbaum
    lauragreenbaum Posts: 1,017 Member
    I would say take it easy. Your body is trying to heal, so pushing it harder isn't going to help that. You also don't want to get anyone else sick if you go to a public gym.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    I draw the line at sickness that's in my chest or stomach. A head cold is one thing but once it's in your chest I think it's time to rest and use that energy for healing. Eating at maintenance is a good idea too.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    If it’s in the chest or you have a fever just rest. You could prolong your illness if you stress the body further with exercise and possibly make things worse.

• MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Oh hi, this is me. The dryness finally got to my sinuses. I took two long walks yesterday and gonna do the same today and tomorrow and until I feel better. The only thing hard work outs do for me when sick is make it take longer to get better.
  • FL_Hiker
    FL_Hiker Posts: 919 Member
    edited January 2019
    Make sure you don’t have a fever or elevated heart rate first. If you do get in to see a doctor ASAP, if it’s the flu they can give you an anti viral drug that can cut down on the sick time. I tested positive for the flu and a 103 fever on Tuesday, today I felt okay just a bit exhausted still from it and ran 18 miles. I took it very slow and kept telling myself I could stop at any point and I didn’t push it. If I felt nauseous at all I would stop. I ran poorly though and my form suffered and ended up screwing up my knee. Had to call to get a pick up. Take it from me, if you do work out, go easy.
  • ImSoSquishy
    ImSoSquishy Posts: 57 Member
    edited January 2019
    i do suggest you rest until you recover. just think of it as you're taking a deload week for the time being and when monday comes/your next training session comes or when you get better, just continue where you left off. i don't know what you do at gym but if you lift weights, a sneeze or cough can easily destroy your form while you're repping out your set, or if you're running on the treadmill, the machine is not going to stop for you while you sneeze and you may injure yourself and/or others around you as well. but anyways, get well soon!
  • AK2AZ
    AK2AZ Posts: 14 Member
    I would say take it easy. Your body is trying to heal, so pushing it harder isn't going to help that. You also don't want to get anyone else sick if you go to a public gym.

Thank you, I was going to work out at home with DVDs, definitely not the gym this weekend.
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    Based on my experiences, can do a cold workout that’s tapered. Flu, no way.

This is an opportunity to evaluate if you have compulsive tendencies that need to be checked, many of us do.
  • AK2AZ
    Thank you for all the responses, I’m thinking just a light work out at home with light weights. I’m staying well hydrated with lemon, cucumber, fresh mint and ginger water. 💪
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,785 Member
    One thing I do is monitor my resting heart rate. It usually spikes when I am sick and I take that as reason NOT to work out because my body is struggling with the virus already. There was a link somewhere here about doing light workouts when symptoms (no fever!) were about your neck but definitely NOT when they were below. In your chest sounds like you should take it easy to me. Also remember to EAT enough.
  • tess5036
    tess5036 Posts: 942 Member
    edited January 2019
    Rest and recover, maybe do a very light workout if you feel you need to, but listen to your body. If you go to a gym, please stay away from it, otherwise you'll be sharing will germs with everybody else there and could cause other people to catch your illness
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    if you are contagious please do not go to the gym. if you work out alone at home, or running, or whatever (not around people), do what you feel like doing. listen to your body, though.

when im sick, i play it by ear. I will usually take a walk, even if its not a long one, or if i know im not contagious and am feeling up to it, tackle the gym, even if its a lighter workout than normal.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    For me, I do not go out if I am contagious, or if it's in my lungs. The former, because I'm not a jerk, the latter because I have exercise and illness-induced asthma, and the combination of illness + working out is just going to end very very badly.

I also don't go out if I'm exhausted. Pushing myself through exhaustion is just going to make me sicker, and it's not like I'm going to have good performance.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    I was sick this week; I made the judgement call to not work out at all (even at home) during this week, and even though I felt better yesterday, I still avoided the gym because I didn't want to wear myself out at the tail end of my recovery. Best to give yourself the time to relax, and allow your body all the time it needs to recover.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,961 Member
    Oh hi, this is me. The dryness finally got to my sinuses. I took two long walks yesterday and gonna do the same today and tomorrow and until I feel better. The only thing hard work outs do for me when sick is make it take longer to get better.

You should really start your own thread, not post something that sounds like the OP returning with an update when you are not the OP. It risks people giving advice to the OP that's based on a mistaken understanding of her situation.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    AK2AZ wrote: »
    I’ve had cold/flu symptoms the last 3 days, feels like it’s settling in my chest. I want to get my work out in today and tomorrow since these are my main work out days, I feel like I could get it done but not sure if I will make myself worse, does anyone ever work out while sick? I always listen to my body, which is why I feel like I could do it but I’m also known to push myself a lot. What are your thoughts on exercising while sick?

Generally, if the symptoms are from the neck up, it can be safe unless you feel otherwise.

Please take others into consideration with your decision. If you work out at home, or bike/run on your own, that’s one thing. But please don’t take your germs to a gym/studio and risk infecting others.
  • FitGamerSmoak
    FitGamerSmoak Posts: 224 Member
    I had a cold, that I just got over, that I’ve had for 5 weeks. I thought I was getting better but it was settled in my chest at week one. I worked out twice after that, and am just getting healthy now because all I’ve done since then was yoga and walking.
    Take it easy, heal, and let your body do it’s magic. Then get back to it. Feel better
  • AK2AZ
    Thank you everyone for your replies, I did a good light work out at home with a Joy Bauer DVD plus some arm weights and abs. I felt ok afterwards, still sick with chest and head cold, I will definitely take it easy today, maybe a walk this afternoon.
    Thanks again for all your input😊