Low carb diet

Anyone who is eating low carb, help me! What is an easy breakfast? What do eat for lunch and snacks....and for dinner? I have a family and they won't be doing low carb, so how do I make my low carb diet fit into their dinners? Thanks!!

Replies

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Eggs and bacon.

Egg muffins (millions of recipe ideas, here's one: https://www.dinneratthezoo.com/breakfast-egg-muffins/)

I like vegetables with breakfast, so I did vegetable and feta omelets (as I do most of the time anyway)

Or anything you'd eat for any other meal, you don't need special breakfast food
  • lemurcat2
    edited January 2019
    Just noticed the other part of the question -- my idea of a standard dinner is meat, veg, starch, so make that for the family and eat yours without the starch.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,959 Member
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    Just noticed the other part of the question -- my idea of a standard dinner is meat, veg, starch, so make that for the family and eat yours without the starch.

^^This. It does likely mean a shift if you tend to rely on "one-dish" or casserole type meals, where the starch is part of the same dish as the protein and veggies. You'll either have to eliminate those kinds of meals in favor of meals comprised of separate roasts/chops/burgers, non-starchy veg, and starch dishes, or set aside some of the meat and veggies when you put together the one-dish meal for the rest of the meal and combine the meat and veg in a separate dish for yourself.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,881 Member
    jaci34 wrote: »
    Anyone who is eating low carb, help me! What is an easy breakfast? What do eat for lunch and snacks....and for dinner? I have a family and they won't be doing low carb, so how do I make my low carb diet fit into their dinners? Thanks!!

There are various definitions of low carb. For some people it's eating less than 150 grams of carbs a day. For people doing keto, it could be no more than 20 g of *net* carbs per day.

What's your goal for carb percentage or grams? This will make a big different in recommendations.
  • jaci34
    jaci34 Posts: 225 Member
    I would like to eat between 50 and 100.
  • 2bthin52
    2bthin52 Posts: 2 Member
    Dinners: I would have lean meat, salad or non starchy vegetables, maybe 1/2 cup brown rice with broth.
    Fruit salad made with berries is a good desert or make a smoothie with berries and water for a treat.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,673 Member
    Hard boiled eggs are a good easy snack or meal. When I was doing low carb I also ate cheese for snacks. Breakfast was usually eggs in some form. You could do a hamburger or chicken, but that was more expensive than eggs and took longer to fix so I didn't do it, but it's an option. For dinner, as a change from grilled or baked meat and veg, I sometimes made chili without beans and spaghetti without pasta. I just used lots of veggies with ground meat. You can do two pots or just make pasta or rice as a side for the family.
  • reddwarf63
    reddwarf63 Posts: 24 Member
    If you are going low carb, then ditch the bread and pasta and instead have cauliflower rice as its filling and very low carb
  • MsMinah1908
    MsMinah1908 Posts: 1 Member
    Any ideas for breakfast without eggs?
  • lemurcat2
    Low carb? Ditch traditional breakfast foods. Or have bacon on a salad.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,948 Member

This is exactly what I've done with my fam for 4 years. Works pretty well.

^^This. It does likely mean a shift if you tend to rely on "one-dish" or casserole type meals, where the starch is part of the same dish as the protein and veggies. You'll either have to eliminate those kinds of meals in favor of meals comprised of separate roasts/chops/burgers, non-starchy veg, and starch dishes, or set aside some of the meat and veggies when you put together the one-dish meal for the rest of the meal and combine the meat and veg in a separate dish for yourself.

Exactly.
    I still make casserole things. Those things often take a bit of prep before you even stick it in the dish to bake. I set my portion of meat/veg/sauce out before I even compile the casserole. Then I heat or reheat depending when theirs is ready so we can eat together. It's a bit of a shift in the beginning but you rapidly get used to the new routine so it is no longer a big deal.

I do about 100g daily myself, and if you plan, you can fit in a serving of starch. Last night we did a homemade tuna noodle casserole. I just fried it all up in a pan, sauce and all, and boiled the noodles in a pot. Got 2oz of egg noodles and then put the meat sauce and veg on. Yummy. Sometimes I budget for a serving of potatoes. Or rice. Preplanning your day ahead whenever possible has benefits. :smile:
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,386 MFP Moderator
    Any ideas for breakfast without eggs?

A breakfast hash with ground beef, bacon, breakfast meats.
  • jdog022
    jdog022 Posts: 693 Member
    jaci34 wrote: »
    I would like to eat between 50 and 100.

Why? The obligatory carbs don’t make you fat just in case your new to this
  • coderdan82
    coderdan82 Posts: 133 Member
    I prepare a salad for breakfast the night before. I usually include half an avocado, some pesto and some nuts so it's very filling.
  • s_storrie
    s_storrie Posts: 2 Member
    Plain whole fat yogurt, with berries and topped with cinnamon, is a surprisingly filling breakfast. Add a bannana or raw honey if you need more carbs or sweetness.
  • crnacrn
    crnacrn Posts: 1 Member
    Anyone doing keto? Ive been on the diet since jan 1st. No weight loss and im not sure Im doing it correctly.
  • naf530
    naf530 Posts: 4 Member
    I am all for accountability! I am 10 months postpartum and am only down 6lbs from my highest pregnancy weight. I'm definitely not as active as I want to be and low carb diets have seemed to be the only thing that worked in the past. Feel free to add me :)
  • CindyJNC1963
    CindyJNC1963 Posts: 895 Member
    I try to stay under 90 carbs for the day and one of my favorite snacks is a Yoplait YQ yogurt (130 calories, 9 carbs, 15 protein). I usually add in some chia seeds for a little fiber and berries.....but this will add a little more carbs to it. I used to hate yogurt but I decided to try YQ and it's really, really good. I'm not much of a breakfast eater so I usually eat a Pure Protein bar for breakfast (20 protein and 18 carbs).