Can a Thyroid problem just pop up?

Options
I am having a hell of a time losing weight. I have had my thyroid checked quite a few times and nothing has come up. It's been a few years since being checked. Do you think something could have popped up during that time phrase?

Replies

• Tangerine302
    Tangerine302 Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Sure, if you feel like your thyroid is low I would have it checked again. I've been on throid pills for years and get checked every so often. Sometimes it changes and I have to get a different strength in medication.
    Have you been extra tired lately? It's a different kind of tired though. Like your batteries have fallen out. I always know when to go to the doctor again. Almost like you are so tired you have to think before saying a sentence.
  • evesacks
    evesacks Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    It can just pop up.

But do you have any other symptoms - ie feeling cold, exhaustion, (heavy periods with short cycles if female!)
  • Amyding115
    Amyding115 Posts: 120
    Options
    My mother-in-law had a similar situation, and thought it was her thyroid. Turns out she had cushings disease. Totally treatable! Ask your doc.
  • starwhisperer
    Options
    I went in Sep and mine was just a little high barely out of the normal range I think it was at like a 3.5 or something. When I went back in Jul and had it checked it had jumped up to a 36 even on the meds. So they have upped my dose now. Anyway the point is, I didn't have any issue with it until Sep of last year and i was 31, so I would say it can just pop up for sure.
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    I was tested in 2006 and everything was normal. A few years later, tested again, bam! thyroid. Thyroid problems are common, especially in women. They usually crop up as you get older. I was 38 when diagnosed. Very treatable.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    It can just pop up.

But do you have any other symptoms - ie feeling cold, exhaustion, (heavy periods with short cycles if female!)

Thyroid problems can also lead to no periods. Or, as in my case, it doesn't necessarily have to affect periods or cycles at all.

To the OP - I have a mild thyroid issue, with no obvious symptoms. It showed up in bloodwork though.