Help with Keto

Options
I started trying Keto and this is my 5th day. I’m just starting to understand the macros however I’m not sure if I should worry about calories. I was talking to a coworker that said on Keto calories don’t matter. I find that hard to wrap my head around. For so long I’ve been taught that in order to lose weight I have to watch my calorie in take. Long story short I don’t know how many calories to set as a goal. For the past 5 days I’ve done less than 20g of carbs and 1100 calories daily. 60% fats and about 35% protein. I don’t want to hinder my weight lose by taking in too little calories. Does anyone have any advise?

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Yes, calories do matter.
  • knightreader
    knightreader Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    everything I've ever read from any type of reliable source says a minimum of 1200 calories on any plan. been doing keto since september and find i eat less bc the protein keeps me fuller longer. when you break it down, it is still calories in has to be less than calories out in order to be in a deficit and lose weight. i find with keto i don't need to eat as much. also, your only five days in, so give it some time. less than 20g is a great start! keto is NOT an all you can eat buffet. best of luck. any questions, feel free to ask. i'll share my limited experience.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    If someone tells you that calories don't matter, is the moment you should stop listening, smile and nod.

If you look at any metabolic ward study, you will see that calories matter. The one argument that has been made is that certain foods have a greater impact of metabolism. And the answer to that is the impact of protein. Most keto/lchf studies don't hold protein constant, so they always show greater weight loss and improvements in metabolic rate. Its when you hold protein and calories constant that low fat diets show a very slight advantage. But its so minimal that its not worth worrying about.
  • Leelalub
    Leelalub Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Use a macro calculator to determine how many calories, fat, protein and carbs you should be consuming for your body weight. You can google keto macro calculator. Hope this helps you!
  • chris02jaliyah
    chris02jaliyah Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the comment. That was a good article. After reading that I will stick with the Keto diet and increase my calories. I really appreciate the advise.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    As mentioned, the keto diet has no metabolic advantage, in otherwise healthy individuals, for weight loss/fat loss. If one is IR then there is some benefit to both keto and low carb in increasing insulin sensitivity.

If keto is a sustainable way to eat for someone, great. Some people experience higher satiety and lower hunger signalling. Some don't. In the end, the best diet for fat loss is the one you can stick to because it is the way you prefer to eat and doesn't feel restrictive to you.

Below are a scientific position paper and an extensive study with protein and calories controlled that support these conclusions.
    https://jissn.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12970-017-0174-y?utm_source=Annie+Bello&utm_campaign=2b20356128-MKT+2017-07-27&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_683161ac3a-2b20356128-184210761&mc_cid=2b20356128&mc_eid=49c2323da5
    A wide range of dietary approaches (low-fat to low-carbohydrate/ketogenic, and all points between) can be similarly effective for improving body composition, and this allows flexibility with program design. To date, no controlled, inpatient isocaloric diet comparison where protein is matched between groups has reported a clinically meaningful fat loss or thermic advantage to the lower-carbohydrate or ketogenic diet [60]

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2763382/?fbclid=IwAR1DFikPeiksul4Px_xeejVyrzqg-fyxUC-BlOm7GpJdlvj04JCl4fiJXo8
    CONCLUSIONS
    Reduced-calorie diets result in clinically meaningful weight loss regardless of which macronutrients they emphasize.
    So, yes. Calories matter.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    If interested, OP, here is Hall's study:
    https://academic.oup.com/ajcn/article/104/2/324/4564649

This is a summary of Ludwig's very recent study, which has not been reproduced yet probably because it is so new:
    https://www.drdavidludwig.com/case-low-carb-diet-stronger-ever/

Both were done by NUSI. I believe the Hall test was ISO caloric (same calories) and the second was eu caloric (calories needed to maintain weight. OP, feel free to read through them and decide for yourself if they are meaningful or not.

IMO if there is a calorie for calorie advantage, it is small, and some people seem to benefit more than others, who may perceive not advantage at all.

*** I messed up and wrote Lustig in my earlier post instead of Ludwig. Sorry for any confusion that caused.

https://www.bmj.com/content/363/bmj.k4583

Here is the actual study produced by Ludwig. Its a free living study which doesn't control a lot of variables. It demonstrates utility for personal use, but certainly not for EE. Even more so, metabolic chamber data, the gold standard, doesn't support Ludwigs data. Furthermore, no one else has duplicated his other studies that demonstrate similar findings.

It also doesn't show the individual variation of EE by individuals. As with other studies the LCHF produce significant variations amongst those following the diet. Some see increases and others decreases. There is much larger disparity between the individual vs moderate to high carb groups.

Overall, this is just another data point in the discussion. Ludwig is none to be biased towards low carb as well, thence KHs reaction.
  • matthew_garcia
    matthew_garcia Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Simple answer, Calories matter.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    People who find fat satiating may naturally eat in a deficit, and so do not need to track calories. Since I don't find fat especially filling, if I were to do keto, I would definitely keep logging.

How tall are you and how many pounds do you need to lose to reach your goal weight? Most women can and should eat more than 1200 calories: https://www.aworkoutroutine.com/1200-calorie-diet/

This is right. Hopefully your coworker meant that calorie counting may be unnecessary due to a common decrease in calories, and not that calories don't matter.

It appears that there is a very slight metabolic advantage to a ketogenic diet, possibly just for those with metabolic problems like insulin resistance, when protein is held constant. I've seen one by Hall that had an advantage of about 100 kcal but it appeared to be going away with time, and recently Lustig found a 200+ kcal advantage. It's only a slight advantage but it is consistent with my experience. Others do not experience any advantage. Ymmv.

I agree that your calories are probably too low. You'll probably want to increase that.

Lustig or Ludwig?
  • psuLemon
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    People who find fat satiating may naturally eat in a deficit, and so do not need to track calories. Since I don't find fat especially filling, if I were to do keto, I would definitely keep logging.

How tall are you and how many pounds do you need to lose to reach your goal weight? Most women can and should eat more than 1200 calories: https://www.aworkoutroutine.com/1200-calorie-diet/

This is right. Hopefully your coworker meant that calorie counting may be unnecessary due to a common decrease in calories, and not that calories don't matter.

It appears that there is a very slight metabolic advantage to a ketogenic diet, possibly just for those with metabolic problems like insulin resistance, when protein is held constant. I've seen one by Hall that had an advantage of about 100 kcal but it appeared to be going away with time, and recently Lustig found a 200+ kcal advantage. It's only a slight advantage but it is consistent with my experience. Others do not experience any advantage. Ymmv.

I agree that your calories are probably too low. You'll probably want to increase that.

Lustig or Ludwig?

It was Ludwig. Her second post clarified.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Ludwig. Yes. It was too late to edit when I noticed it. :blush: