Question About Macros

Options
Hi. My name is Carol. I started on the Keto WOE on November 13, 2018. To date I've lost 20 lbs! When I started, the calculator I used had me at the following: Calories - 1335, Carbs - 17g, Fat - 104g, and Protein - 83g. Without prompting from MFP on December 19th, I recalulated my macros. It put me at the following which I've been following ever since: Calories: - 1200, Carbs - 15g, Fat - 93g, and Protein - 75g. My question is this - Should I have recalculated my macros so early on? My weight loss has slowed significantly. On December 19th, I was down 15 pounds. Since that time, I've only lost 5 more pounds. I'm trying to put everything in perspective. My goal is to lose 1.5 lbs a week. If that's the case, I've exceeded that goal by losing 5 lbs (versus an expected 3.75 lbs per my goal). Please help by letting me know your thoughts.

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    Hi Carol - you may have had a big water weight loss in the beginning, after which your rate of loss naturally slowed. Your macros will not affect your rate of fat loss.

How tall are you and how many pounds do you have to lose to reach your goal weight? Unless you are very very short and extremely sedentary, you can and should eat more than 1200 calories. https://www.aworkoutroutine.com/1200-calorie-diet/
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    edited January 2019
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Hi Carol - you may have had a big water weight loss in the beginning, after which your rate of loss naturally slowed. Your macros will not affect your rate of fat loss.

How tall are you and how many pounds do you have to lose to reach your goal weight? Unless you are very very short and extremely sedentary, you can and should eat more than 1200 calories. https://www.aworkoutroutine.com/1200-calorie-diet/

I wouldn't say this exactly. Multiple studies show benefits with higher protein. So if anything, i would advise the OP of maintaining or increasing protein a bit.

OP, i wouldn't change anything if its working. So I would put your macros back. If anything, I'd replace some of the fat with a bit more protein. Nothing burns more calories like protein (and fiber). Plus the two have the highest satiety ratings.
  • whit4kids
    whit4kids Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thank you both for replying to my post. I appreciate the different perspectives.