Paleo/ Postpartum/ breastfeeding....Help!

Options
Hey im in need of help from pretty much anyone who can help me; other moms, fitness freaks, paleo peeps, breastfeeding gurus, physio, anyone with good knowledge of postpartum recovery and fitness.

When I initially got pregnant I was doing low carb but when I got pregnant all I could stomach was crackers and carbs the first 3 months. So for one I'm totally addicted to carbs again but we have just started to try and go back to eating paleo/ low carb. Day 2 and im doing i know the first 2 weeks are killer. Also diet wise, there is the breastfeeding factor. I've had so many supply issues and I do not want to make it worse by drastically changing my diet. I'm on supplements; domperidone,fenugreek, blessed thistle. I have been dairy free since my wee guy was 5 weeks due to his diagnosed dairy allergy and acid reflux. He may also be prone to a gluten allergy so paleo is awnat way to go.

So fitness wise, during my pregnancy I could barely walk due to symphis pubic disorder (pelvic ligament loosens and the pelvis becomes unstable. causing a lot of pain!) and went off work early. So my exercise has been at an all time low! My pelvis is still giving me a lot of pain even with walking. I am attempting to go to the chiro. And to make my poor fitness worse I had a c- section. 😕. I did however lose all but 8lb of pregnancy right in the first 3 weeks (I had horrible swelling so i think a lot was water). So i may need physio depending what the chiro can do. But I'm 10 weeks ot from my section and i need to start some sort of physical working out.

My goal is to lose the baby weight plus more so i can be a strong and healthy. So that's my story I'm happy to hear your advice, tips, tricks and knowledgeable answers. Thank you in advance!

Replies

• Fflpnari
    Fflpnari Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    I would try to see a physical therapist to help the pelvis/ pain. Eating enough and drinking enough water to support breastfeeding, and your energy levels is the primary goal.
  • CrysRN
    CrysRN Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I 100% agree. I've read that you need 500 extra calories a day for breastfeeding. But that seems like a lot and I'm not losing anything. But nor was I taking full this week.
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    When I switched to low carb when my younger son was a year old my supply tanked through the floor and never recovered. He was old enough that I wasn't too concerned, since I was back working at that point.

The same happened with my supply with my older son except it was just cutting calories, not carbs. I wouldn't cut calories and carbs at the same time. So if you want to do Paleo low carb, switch your diet over and assess your supply (at maintenance plus 400-500 calories to account for breastfeeding). And ensure you're getting enough fluids. Find a carb level within that which allows your supply to stay level and sufficient.

If you can dial that in, then gradually reduce your calories from maintenance+500 to just maintenance. Let breastfeeding provide your deficit. If you work out, eat back most of your exercise calories. Remember you are feeding two people. Some women's bodies will allow them to lose weight while maintaining an adequate supply and some will not, so keep an eye on baby weight gain and nursing behaviour.

For working out, bundle baby up into the stroller and go for a walk 2-3 times a day. You can gradually build distance. When it's super cold, walk indoors at the mall.

Congratulations and good luck!
  • FitGamerSmoak
    FitGamerSmoak Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    If you already have supply issues I would work on that first. Take good notes as to supply if you are changing your diet. Water, and good foods. Reevaluate your supply. If it drops make changes and increase those two.
  • abcdcm143
    abcdcm143 Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    My suggestion is to take it slowly, you are still only 10 weeks out and having only 8 pounds to go is amazing! Could you start by walking or swimming? Something light on your body? Also if you keep breastfeeding, it will help with the weight loss. Good luck!