Peeps aged 50+ who run

Options
What is your age, how fast can you run for extended durations (say 15 minutes) and how many months did it take for you to get to that speed?

Replies

• spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,687 Member
    Options
    Are you looking for average pace for an easy run or fastest pace for a 5k race? I never run only 15 minutes. I don't get warmed up until 2 miles or more, so my runs are all at least 4 miles.

I'm 62. I started running at 55. After finishing C25k I was running 10-11 minute miles for my easy pace. My first 5k, a month after finishing C25k, was about 28:30, or 9:12 minute miles. Right now my easy pace averages 9:30 and my 5k pace is 7:55. I run a lot of miles (35-40 week) but don't do much racing or speedwork.

TBH, it really doesn't matter what other people run. All that matters is what you are able to run. If you want to get faster, more miles and some effort at training properly will get you there. You have to be willing to put in the effort though.
  • Vladimirnapkin
    Vladimirnapkin Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I'm 55 and I can run faster than I could in my 30s. (All my personal bests are from my early 40s.) How fast can I run for 15 minutes? I ran around 17:58 5k and a 37:47 10k a couple years ago (as a 50+). I am also one of the slowest guys on my competitive 50+ team!

The trouble is that I get hurt easier and recover more slowly. Right now I would struggle to get under 40 for 10k. Give me a few months of good health and who knows what could happen!

It takes about a year of legit training to reach your potential. It might take a couple years to build the capacity to do the training. Be patient, but don't sell yourself short.

But as spiriteagle99 said, it's not about other people. It's about you. I still enjoy running and appreciate the fact that I can still do this stuff at my advanced age! Even if I can't even sniff the times I was running 10 years ago.

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,121 Member
    Options
    Saturday -- training for a half-marathon continues with my longest distance yet. Mostly running, a little bit of walking

According to Strava:

Distance: 14.35km
    Elevation: 200m
    Moving Time: 2:00:35
    Elapsed Time 2:04:30
    Pace: 8:24/km
    Calories:1,171

Yep ... slow as! I am a bit faster on short 2-3 km runs and have seen a pace of about 6:55 once or twice. But I take it easy on the long runs. Conserve energy.
  • Lolinloggen
    Lolinloggen Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    You'll get a variety of answers here as the over 50's gouger consist of people that have been running since forever to people that started last week (on jan 1st) Speed varies greatly with intensity, ability and weight as well as medical issues and simply height. Lastly the 50+ group is 50 to 100 that is a lot of years :smile: I am not joking I know and 84 year old that still runs regularly (and faster than poor 50 year old me)
    If you go through the runners threads you'll find a lot of decent information.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    I'm 68, and been running for about a year and a half. A few weeks ago I ran a 30 minute 5K on the treadmill, but I'm considerably slower outdoors. The fastest mile I ever ran was outdoors flat surface, 9:29, after which I could barely walk. There's no way I could sustain that pace for 15 minutes.

I started with a Couch to 5K program, and just completed a 5K to 10K. Lots of repeated weeks, and taking it slow is what worked for me.
  • kathleenneriducharme
    Options
    I'm 54 and have been running on and off for about 10 years. Today's run: 5.03 miles in 49 minutes 17 seconds. That was outdoors with some incline, but nothing crazy.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    I will be 50 in a couple weeks. How fast I run doesn't really matter though. I am faster than many but not fast enough to be elite. I am still getting faster because I just started taking it seriously 4 years ago. At some point I will stop getting faster and I'll have to find a new challenge.

There's no 'average' speed for a 50 year old. Run for you. Don't worry about me. :)

Edit to add that it has taken me 4 years to get to my current speed. I expect to put in another couple years to get to my 'top' speed. My 'speed' is for marathons but I will be training for 5k's for the next couple months. I have no idea what to expect there but I suspect I will get faster with both shorter races and hopefully my marathon time.
  • nooie19
    nooie19 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I agree to “run for you.” I have a friend who told me “I’m a really slow runner. I only run a ten minute mile.” That made me feel really insecure because it took me long time to build up to a ten minute mile.

By for your reference, I am 50 years old. I haven’t run for over a year but I have lost 29 pounds. Last week while in Texas at sea level Tbis past week I started running again. My best time was 10:15 in the first mile. But I’ve been doing 30 minute runs that are consistently 11:30 minute mile over all. Also, I’ve learned over the years that it’s okay to jog one or two times a week. I also do yoga, walk, and ride my stationary bike.

The takeaway; even on my “worst” runs I’m increasing my heart rate, stamina, strength, and endurance. And I’m wirkinv hard to beat my personal best. So who really cares how other people run?
  • mel7632018
    mel7632018 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm 51 and only started running 2 years ago. I tend to run between 4 and 6 miles once a week. Currently my average pace is around 11 minutes a mile although my runs always include a lot of steep hills.
    I don't compare myself to others as I know I'm not fast but I have a TomTom running watch that has a race function which allows you to race your own time and I find it more helpful to see how I'm doing against the best I know I can do.
    It depends on why you want to know but my advice would be to focus on enjoying your running. Good luck x
  • LWlazer
    LWlazer Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    enter some fun 5K FUN RUNS. You will be able to see how your time compares
    to others in the 50-54 age group. It will also motivate you to run more and get a little faster. Everyone no matter the speed will be doing their best and that is more than most of the fat guys sitting in the local sports bar talking about their good old days and what athletes they used to be can say.
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,882 Member
    Options
    I was thinking about those who start running after 50 on my jog today. I am going to bet that you have a lot less physical issues with running over the next years than those of us who have been jogging since we were teenagers. ;) Have fun. Enjoy.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I'm 50, I don't remember how long it took me to work up to 15 minutes when I started 5 years ago. I didn't follow any running plan running just happened. I walked a ton early in weight loss, before I knew it my walking turned into walk/run intervals then it got to where I was running a mile without stopping.

I don't post my running times, comparing times with another person doesn't matter, it can even set me up for disappointment if I am trying to out do others speed or distances. OP if you enjoy running or working up to be a runner, you do it your way in your own time. :smile:
  • dmille2
    dmille2 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    51 and run 6x a week. Only 30-35mi a week these days. It’s about being consistent. Recovery from injuries is the biggest thing I’ve encountered so far. Like others mentioned I was at my peak in early to mid 40’s. Keep lacing up them shoes and get out the door!
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    OP, I took a 30 year break from running, then resumed it when I was 54 years old as I lost weight. It took a number of months for me to build up my endurance, but I wasn't focused on distance or speed at that time.
    Eventually, my speed and endurance increased and I entered a number of races.

As others have said, consistency is the key to success, and to be consistent, avoiding injuries is important. I've learned that the hard way, but at 61 years old, I still enjoy running.