Clicking Knee

Options
WideAgain
WideAgain Posts: 33 Member
edited January 2019 in Fitness and Exercise
I'm trying to get back into some exercise... So far it is only the funny step 'thingy' machine in the lounge but my knee keeps clicking.
Today it is worse than before. (It has clicked for a few days but getting more uncomfortable today.)
Dr. Google says lose weight and change my shoes... I have Asics running shoes and I'm trying to lose weight! :D

Any thoughts or advice welcome!

Replies

• spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Options
    Does it hurt or just make noise? I get clicking joints, but no pain, so I ignore it. If you are feeling pain, then do some exercises to strengthen your legs like leg lifts.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    It could be nothing more than popping joints if you are prone to those. It could also be an overuse injury, in which case rest and then a SLOW increase in your activity level should help. Ice may also help with any swelling. Overuse injuries are pretty common among new exercisers who try to do too much too soon.

Of course, if you start having pain, you should get checked out by a physio. Don't ignore pain or try to work though it.
  • WideAgain
    WideAgain Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    It can be uncomfortable but not painful and yes... It makes a noise!

I love the thought that it could be this: It could also be an overuse injury. (Not really but I'm far from over excerting!)

Thank you for the thoughts and tips.

• CindyJNC1963
    CindyJNC1963 Posts: 895 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    I was a distance runner many, many years ago and I had something called iliotibial band syndrome that caused a clicking sensation in my hip. I had physical therapy and it eventually went away. I think you can get the same thing in your knee. Definitely worth having a Dr. check it out.
  • jeedsjds13
    jeedsjds13 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Whenever my joints click or crack I go see my chiropractor. He seems to have ways to help me with everything haha
  • tlpina82
    tlpina82 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I went to an orthopedist over the same problem. Clicking without pain. Left knee.
    Doctor said, lose weight and lift weights, but i think the weight loss is what makes a difference because whenever i put on a few pounds, the clicking returns.
    Shed those off, and it goes away.
  • FL_Hiker
    FL_Hiker Posts: 919 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    I was a distance runner many, many years ago and I had something called iliotibial band syndrome that caused a clicking sensation in my hip. I had physical therapy and it eventually went away. I think you can get the same thing in your knee. Definitely worth having a Dr. check it out.

Yup pretty much, I have runners knee right now (Chondromalacia) and it clicks a lot. If your knees bother you at all probably worth going to see an orthopedic over it. I let mine go over several months of marathon training and finally my left knee blew out so bad I couldn’t walk anymore. Dr fixed me right up 👍😊