Who else does Keto?🙋‍♀️🙋‍♂️

Options
Im now here! Im doing keto and modified fasting. Looking for friends who are also doing Keto and are active on here to keep me motivated. Feel free to add me! Thanks friends.

Replies

• KetoLula
    KetoLula Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Hubby and I did it over the summer last year, but didn't get back on track after our anniversary trip. We're getting back into the swing since we loved how we felt. And this time, I prepped for keto flu.
  • perktms
    perktms Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I am new to Keto as well.
    Can you tell me more about the flu?
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    perktms wrote: »
    I am new to Keto as well.
    Can you tell me more about the flu?

Keto flu us an electrolyte imbalance. When you cut carbs it will cause glycogen to be depleted, and for insulin to go down which greatly reduces water and electrolyte retention. You'll lose a lot of water and sodium which will need to be replaced or you nay experience headaches, fatigue, moodiness, stomach and BM issues, muscle aches, weakness or spasms. If you don't replace sodium, it may cause potassium and magnesium to become low as they are leeched out and used as electrolytes instead.

Most ketoers need at least 3000-5000 mg of sodium a day. For reference 2300 mg sodium = 1 tsp salt. I tend to eat 1/4-1/2 tsp of salt with water once or twice a day, and salt my food liberally. Others like salty broth or make a salty ketoade.

Good luck.
  • perktms
    perktms Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info.
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    No problem. Electrolyte imbalance is completely preventable if you take extra salt. Some don't know that and they suffer needlessly in the first few weeks blaming lack of glucose energy rather than lack of sodium. ;)
  • MarnieAnneBigelow
    MarnieAnneBigelow Posts: 1 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Good to know! 3 days in, and last night I had an excruciating headache...really wanted some sugar to help it out! Didn't do it....like a good girl! Drank an electrolyte water instead that I got the gas station :) I saw this post this morning and will be adding ketoade to my daily water intake! <3
  • SummerMerrill
    SummerMerrill Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I've been doing Keto since Aug 1st of last year. Lost 35 pounds already. Down 2 sizes. Once you get past the keto flu stuff it's really easy to adapt to. I tried eating a french fry the other day but they are so gross now so expect taste bud changes as well LOL.
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    Good to know! 3 days in, and last night I had an excruciating headache...really wanted some sugar to help it out! Didn't do it....like a good girl! Drank an electrolyte water instead that I got the gas station :) I saw this post this morning and will be adding ketoade to my daily water intake! <3

I have a friend who buys electrolyte water and then adds a salt packet to it. Lol they are one of those who need more salt than average and found that the drinks did not have enough sodium in it. ;)
  • sandymamaw1
    sandymamaw1 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I read that when your body is adjusting to ket o diet, you will get you like symptoms. To drink more water and bouillon.. Book i read was simply keto. This book I understood better than the other ket o books.
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    I read that when your body is adjusting to ket o diet, you will get you like symptoms. To drink more water and bouillon.. Book i read was simply keto. This book I understood better than the other ket o books.

The only reason the people get fly like symptoms when switching to keto is because of low electrolytes (sodium). There is no biological reason that one should feel sick when using fat for fuel instead of glucose/carbs. Know what I mean?

Boullion is good to drink and helps because it is salty. ;)
  • leiflung
    leiflung Posts: 83 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »

The only reason the people get fly like symptoms when switching to keto is because of low electrolytes (sodium). There is no biological reason that one should feel sick when using fat for fuel instead of glucose/carbs. Know what I mean?

I'm not sick but I feel woozy sometimes working out. Weaker. A little lightheaded. I can't do what I could do last week. Is this electrolytes or just adjustment, do you think?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    edited January 2019
    Options
    leiflung wrote: »

I'm not sick but I feel woozy sometimes working out. Weaker. A little lightheaded. I can't do what I could do last week. Is this electrolytes or just adjustment, do you think?

Weaker is fairly common, even for a few months. Its easier to get energy from carbs. Once fat adapted, its possible that you will get your strength back. Fat adaptation can take a few months.

After that, if your strength doesn't improve, its possible that your exercise goals and diet are not aligned.

Typically for lifting, people use low carb or keto to cut, and they reduce volume and then use carbs to bulk.

ETA: you can try to consume some MCTs 30 - 60 min and time your carbs around your workout to see if that works. Adding salt may help too.
  • leiflung
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    leiflung wrote: »

Weaker is fairly common, even for a few months. Its easier to get energy from carbs. Once fat adapted, its possible that you will get your strength back. Fat adaptation can take a few months.

After that, if your strength doesn't improve, its possible that your exercise goals and diet are not aligned.

Typically for lifting, people use low carb or keto to cut, and they reduce volume and then use carbs to bulk.

ETA: you can try to consume some MCTs 30 - 60 min and time your carbs around your workout to see if that works. Adding salt may help too.

Thanks. That's really helpful.
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    I agree.

Weaker is common in the first few months.

Woozy and light headed sounds like low blood pressure and may be helped with salt. Just my opinion though. :)
  • leiflung
    Options
    I agree.

Weaker is common in the first few months.

Woozy and light headed sounds like low blood pressure and may be helped with salt. Just my opinion though. :)

You may be right. My BP is usually low, 100/60. Maybe the Keto is making it dip into something woozifying. I'll try more salt :)
  • law102189
    law102189 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I’ve done so many diets in my lifetime. Lost almost 50 lbs in 2016, but unfortunately put most back on. Lots of reasons/excuses why .Low-carb always seems to work best for me, so I started keto on January 2. Will weigh in on Wednesday morning to see loss progress, but so far, feel good. Had a couple days of headache, but nothing unmanageable. My son and his GF are doing with me, so we are supporting each other, which helps.
  • cherylann11
    cherylann11 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I’m new to keto, how do you manage your portion sizes? Do you just count the carbs or carbs & calories? Thanks
  • trajik2
    trajik2 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I’m new to keto, how do you manage your portion sizes? Do you just count the carbs or carbs & calories? Thanks

Keto is still CICO (Calorie In, Calorie Out). It is a WOE (Way of eating) that keeps you full/satisfied. Portion sizes are the same as with every other diet or WOE.