Alcohol

Options
Has anyone cut back on their drinking? How’d you feel?? Did you feel like it help lose weight? Just looking for motivation ❤️

Replies

• Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    I rarely drink anymore. Wasn't hard for me to cut it though coz I haven't been a big drinker since my youtful party hardy days back in the 90s.
  • Mike1804
    Mike1804 Posts: 114 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    I’ve cut back my drinking to one day a week (Saturday, 3 drinks). Stopped beer altogether... and I love beer. My sleep has improved (which makes my 5:30am gym sessions easier) and makes it easier to stay on my eating discipline. So overall, I feel like it’s made a positive improvement. I don’t feel like I could lose weight while drinking alcohol on a regular basis.
  • BreenaBean5
    BreenaBean5 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I still drink!! Once or twice a week though. I’ve found Corona Premiers are on point 👌🏿 90 calories and barely any carbs, can’t go wrong! I also can’t quick my rum. Moderation is key, don’t over do it 👍🏿
  • Running2Fit
    Running2Fit Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I never drank much. Now I drink even less. It’s just not worth the calories for me - I love food more than I love alcohol! I still have a glass of wine on occasion though and just make sure to fit it in my daily calories.

I never drank enough for me to feel like drinking less made a big difference in my weight loss but if you are a bigger drinker it can definitely make a big difference.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Alcohol has calories, so cutting it back or out can certainly help!
  • siobhanaoife
    siobhanaoife Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Except for very special occasions, I've cut alcohol down to 2 glasses of wine per week, on Sunday nights, when my best friend and I split a bottle of prosecco with dinner :) Alcohol just has too many calories to fit comfortably into my days otherwise - I'd rather eat those calories than drink them!

I've lost 190+ pounds so I'm doing something right, it seems.
  • Lastchancetochange
    Lastchancetochange Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Going for dry january. Enough partying. And then if I make it to dry February. And yes, alcohol is full of empty calories that hinder a weight loss program.
  • funjen1972
    funjen1972 Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    I cut back and it has helped. I don't have the added calories from alcohol or the added calories of poor food choices that I made while drinking alcohol.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    I haven't cut back my drinking. I log it and fit it in my daily calories. One shot of clear liquor is usually about 95ish calories. I pair that with some sort of diet drink.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    I have never been a big drinker, and so it’s easily avoided for me.
    Besides, I prefer to chew my calories, so water and black coffee are my beverages of choice. No calories in water, and very few in black coffee.
    It’s not too difficult to work an occasional glass of wine into my calorie budget for the day.
  • Slider678
    Slider678 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I sure have! But today is only Day 2!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Except for very special occasions, I've cut alcohol down to 2 glasses of wine per week, on Sunday nights, when my best friend and I split a bottle of prosecco with dinner :) Alcohol just has too many calories to fit comfortably into my days otherwise - I'd rather eat those calories than drink them!

I've lost 190+ pounds so I'm doing something right, it seems.

that's a big glass that a bottle of prosecco that fits in 4 glasses!
  • noodlesno
    noodlesno Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I have gone from out socializing and drinking at least 5 nights a week to now trying (and mostly successfully) to drinking once a week and even then only a few glasses. It has really helped with weight loss and mental wellbeing.
  • SisterSueGetsFit
    SisterSueGetsFit Posts: 1,211 Member
    Options
    For me, it's really the only way, at least in the beginning. I'm participating in Dry January as well... But I'm not a good moderator with alcohol so one glass just doesn't do it for me. Dry January offer me a reset and is very beneficial. To each their own. Good luck!!!
  • SisterSueGetsFit
    SisterSueGetsFit Posts: 1,211 Member
    Options
    I failed to answer your question...Yes, it helped me lose weight. I first started Dry January and MFP in 2017. I stayed dry for almost 3 months and then drank very little for the next few months. After 6 months I was down 50 pounds. You appear to be in good shape already... I was quite overweight so I had more to lose.
  • siobhanaoife
    siobhanaoife Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    that's a big glass that a bottle of prosecco that fits in 4 glasses!

Yes, I'm a fan of a heavy pour :) I log it (in milliliters, not as "2 glasses") and it fits in my calorie goal, so, it works!

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    I'm doing Dry January in hopes that it helps me lose weight. I usually have a drink or two almost every day. So it hasn't been easy.

I've been looking for the No Alcohol group on here - do they still exist?

there are 2 active ones. here is a link to one
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    When I'm trying to cut weight I cut back on alcohol. I'm usually a daily drinker...when cutting weight I usually cut that back to weekends only. Yes, it helps because it cuts out a lot of empty calories.
  • BrettWithPKU
    BrettWithPKU Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I used to drink like a fish but I cut back considerably. I recommend, whenever you have an occasion to drink, stop at one. If you have "one drink here or there" and can't lose weight the drink's not the problem.