Mirena Removal an how it improved your overall mental and physical heaith

Options
Hi everyone,

I’m new here. I’m finding it extremely difficult to keep the weight off. I’ve read several posts on here, but they’re all from a few years ago and I was hoping for current feed back. I’m scheduled to have my Mirena removed on 1/15. I had it inserted in March 2015 (I was around 105 lbs) and I am now currently 135! It’s mostly in my stomach/ hips/ lower back and upper arms. I look pregnant, it’s embarrassing. I don’t eat like crazy, but I definitely have an increase of appetite. I’m so tired and lack energy all the time . I have no desire to do anything. Not to mention the mood swings/ anxiety and acne. I’m curious to hear from those who suffered similarly & how their body’s reacted after the IUD was removed.

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Hi. I removed mine when I realized I wasn't feeling great. And probably replied to those older thread. My main advice: don't assume the progestin is "local". Know that you may feel *worse* initially. Consider supplementing with some bio-identical progesterone cream (whole foods, Sprouts, amazon) if you start to feel unwell. When I removed mine I had a bit of a crash, not unlike postpartum depression. Progesterone cream helped get me back to feeling well.
    Good luck!
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I had to have mine removed (perforated my uterus right before the 3 yr mark). I didn’t have any side effects after removal.

My only issues with it in were low sex drive and of course the fact it perforated my uterus.
  • Slasher09
    Slasher09 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I noticed a big decrease in my blood pressure, and improvement in the pelvic pain I was having and PMDD...however to be fair the hypertension (160s/110s), PMDD and pelvic pain all originated during the 9m I had the mirena
  • ampotter1018
    ampotter1018 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I just removed mine after 2 years and 35 lb weight gain. Will keep everyone updated.
  • WishfulThinning18
    WishfulThinning18 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I have paragard.. the non hormonal one.. i love it. been almost 10 years so it's time is up and having another placed
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,398 Member
    Options
    No mirena, but I'm on longterm cycle of a pill and love it. Feel no difference and I can control when I take a break from it (about 4 times per year). It's so good to decide when to have my mens, avoiding vacations, stressful periods at work, or simple when I don't feel like it.
  • elliej
    elliej Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    That's what I was like on the mini pill. I started on antidepressants and am furious noone suggested trying stopping hormonal birth control. As soon as I stopped the pill I found myself again. Lost weight, skin cleared up, less lethargic and no more mood swings. I now have the Jaydess which is a mini mirena and don't find I have the same symptoms but I have spoken to lots of women who do. Perhaps try the copper coil instead?