Want to lose 10-14lbs! 1200 calories a day?

Hey! I'm looking to lose around a stone that has slowly crept on over the past year! I am getting married in August so I obviously want to look the best I can! I think I'm going to follow 1200 calories a day, looking for like minded people and to also share food choices? Thanks x

Replies

• zeejane03
    zeejane03 Posts: 993 Member
    edited January 2019
    I'm also working on some weight creep (would like to drop 14lbs). I'm doing around 1,400 calories a day though/.5lb a week loss (though first week in I'm down a little over 2lbs).

I'm also in the process of transitioning to a more whole foods woe (with a heavy emphasis on plant based foods). Daily I'm eating around 10 servings of veggies/fruit, a serving of beans and then 2-3 servings of whole grains. Along with that I'm still eating several servings of low fat dairy every day (Greek yogurt, cottage cheese and generic Laughing Cow light cheese spread; a serving of fish every week, and then minimal amounts of beef/chicken/eggs etc. I'm also being more intentional about reducing my added sugar intake. I'm not anti-sugar, but cutting out foods like cookies and muffins is an easy way for me to save calories :)

eta: edited for clarity
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,301 Member
    As an old hand who has possibly let her good maintenance habits slip a little, I'm sure you will do well to review your recent dietary habits on unused days. I'm sure a few small tweaks will be revealed to you. I fear going automatically to 1200 calories and possibly looking for a 2lb a week loss is too severe, its not recommended this close to you chosen weight. A loss of 0.5 lb a week is more desirable. I fear the next months will become stressful because of all the arrangements you want in place perfectly for your day and needing to pander to others needs as well. So please keep this as stress free as possible.

With the start of the New Year we here in the UK are seeing the annual Dietary Advice programs again. This time there is a different feel to them, mostly saying portion size is important, not just calories, Reversing the increase in portion size could be all you need. They are also saying "dieting" is often counter productive because people go on to be repeat dieters.

I'm sure you can reverse your current trend and be where you want to be for the rest of your life and not just your wedding. Wishing you all the very best for a long and happy future.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Hey! I'm looking to lose around a stone that has slowly crept on over the past year! I am getting married in August so I obviously want to look the best I can! I think I'm going to follow 1200 calories a day, looking for like minded people and to also share food choices? Thanks x

did MFP give you 1200 for losing 0.5lb per week?
  • crystalgulliver
    crystalgulliver Posts: 45 Member
    erjones11 wrote: »
    Hi Crystal- Congrats on your engagement and setting a date. Lot's of people are going to ask you for stats and starting weight and then probably going to say your calorie goal is too low for healthy weight loss, unless you are tiny. From your photo you are going to make a lovely bride no matter what you do with your weight.

Just wondering you feel you want to lose a few pounds for your wedding. Are you planning to maintain the loss after the wedding or is the goal specific to fitting in your wedding clothes?

Hi!

Thank you!
    Yes I am currently 132lbs but ideally would like to be around 112-117lbs and I am 5'5 so just more to the lower end of the healthy BMI!
    And yes definitely want to maintain the weightloss! Over the last few months I have eaten too much and have hardly exercised!

x
  • crystalgulliver
    zeejane03 wrote: »
    I'm also working on some weight creep (would like to drop 14lbs). I'm doing around 1,400 calories a day though/.5lb a week loss (though first week in I'm down a little over 2lbs).

I'm also in the process of transitioning to a more whole foods woe (with a heavy emphasis on plant based foods). Daily I'm eating around 10 servings of veggies/fruit, a serving of beans and then 2-3 servings of whole grains. Along with that I'm still eating several servings of low fat dairy every day (Greek yogurt, cottage cheese and generic Laughing Cow light cheese spread; a serving of fish every week, and then minimal amounts of beef/chicken/eggs etc. I'm also being more intentional about reducing my added sugar intake. I'm not anti-sugar, but cutting out foods like cookies and muffins is an easy way for me to save calories :)

eta: edited for clarity

Yes, me too! I don't very often eat meat as it is and do try to not have too much dairy but I don't want to label myself vegan/vegetarian etc just try to make healthier choices! Yes, snacking is a huge down fall of mine! OR I eat healthy all day and as soon as I get home I raid the cupboards!
  • crystalgulliver
    Fuzzipeg wrote: »
    As an old hand who has possibly let her good maintenance habits slip a little, I'm sure you will do well to review your recent dietary habits on unused days. I'm sure a few small tweaks will be revealed to you. I fear going automatically to 1200 calories and possibly looking for a 2lb a week loss is too severe, its not recommended this close to you chosen weight. A loss of 0.5 lb a week is more desirable. I fear the next months will become stressful because of all the arrangements you want in place perfectly for your day and needing to pander to others needs as well. So please keep this as stress free as possible.

With the start of the New Year we here in the UK are seeing the annual Dietary Advice programs again. This time there is a different feel to them, mostly saying portion size is important, not just calories, Reversing the increase in portion size could be all you need. They are also saying "dieting" is often counter productive because people go on to be repeat dieters.

I'm sure you can reverse your current trend and be where you want to be for the rest of your life and not just your wedding. Wishing you all the very best for a long and happy future.

Thanks for you message, that is really helpful and kind of you. :) xx
  • lbride
    lbride Posts: 248 Member
    At 1200 per day, I find it easier to eat only one large meal a day (or one large meal around 2 pm and then a very small dinner). Breaking it up into several meals makes me hungry - because the calories of each meal is so small. I also use high protein to keep me full, because again, 1200 really isn't that much at all! My two cents - 112 lbs seems like a really low weight for 5'6 (unless you are very small or don't have much muscle).
  • StephSuter2508
    StephSuter2508 Posts: 31 Member
    When I got married I lost 1/2 stone in the two weeks leading up to it due to excitment / stress and my dress was a little big for me as a result - it was corseted but pulled as tight as it would go lol

I personally feel 1200 a day is low BUT a wedding is a once in a lifetime event, so do what you are comfortable with and see what works for you, if you find 1200 is too low and youre hungry then adjust it to 1350 or even 1500 and add in some exercise to help boost with fat loss, you have plenty of time in the next couple weeks to figure out what works for you and what you can stick with until your big day,

I find when I am on a strict calorie allowance like that, eating lots of small meals is much easier than 3 meals that equal 1200, so Il have fruit for breakfast (150 cal), then Il have a smoothie or protein shake (150 cal), salad for lunch with added protein (350 cals) or a soup, then afternoon Il snack on grapes and something protein based like an egg or chicken, (150 cal), Il then have dinner with 50% green veg like broccoli (400 cal)/ Drink wise I stick to water, squash and tea without any sugar - eating reguarly helps keep hunger at bay for me

Currently I am on 1800 a day due to exercise and Il be honest I find it much easier to eat more and exercise than when I was trying to stick to 1200 a day

Hope it goes well for you and good luck for the big day :smile:
  • crystalgulliver

Hey... No 1200 is to lose 2lbs per week! I just had a look and to love 0.5lbs has only increased it to 1440 a day! I'd rather get the extra pounds off and then maintain I think!

At your stats, 2 pounds a week is overly aggressive. Do no more than 1 pound -- 1 percent of your starting weight per week is a safe goal. Those of us who are lean to start with simply can't safely lose at fast rates.

Would you rather be miserable to everyone around you for 7 weeks, and be close to bingeing because you're overly restrictive -- never mind lowered performance metrics, and ending up skinny fat? Or would you rather not white-knuckle through it, and still get to your goal weight in time, and still keep your muscles and look smoking in your dress?

Ha yes... You have a good point! Thanks for the tip :*
  • zeejane03
    zeejane03 Posts: 993 Member

Hey... No 1200 is to lose 2lbs per week! I just had a look and to love 0.5lbs has only increased it to 1440 a day! I'd rather get the extra pounds off and then maintain I think!

At your stats, 2 pounds a week is overly aggressive. Do no more than 1 pound -- 1 percent of your starting weight per week is a safe goal. Those of us who are lean to start with simply can't safely lose at fast rates.

Would you rather be miserable to everyone around you for 7 weeks, and be close to bingeing because you're overly restrictive -- never mind lowered performance metrics, and ending up skinny fat? Or would you rather not white-knuckle through it, and still get to your goal weight in time, and still keep your muscles and look smoking in your dress?

Ha yes... You have a good point! Thanks for the tip :*

Also keep in mind that you have plenty of time to hit your goal, you're planning ahead which will really help you :) .5lb loss/2lbs a month puts you at your goal weight late spring/early summer, giving you lots of wiggle room.
  • MirandaLing777
    MirandaLing777 Posts: 14 Member
    Added you! 🙂