Need to lose weight - Advice gratefully received

Options
Hi All,

I'm a 24 (soon 25) year old woman currently weighing 102.2kg at 5"3 tall. I am under no illusion I need to lose weight and in fact I badly want to, and I have already taken some steps to do so ie. I have signed up for a gym membership and I am going every day (in the am before work) and do 2 hours of cardio (exercise bike, rowing machine, treadmill, cross trainer at 30 mins each) and I average around 1,000 calories lost. I could easily do more but I don't have the time due to work and family life. I am also seeing a dietitian and my stats are:

102.2kg
BMI 73.5
Body Fat %: 40%
Visceral Fat: 9%
BMR: 1751 calories
TDEE: 2622 calories

The dietitian told me to limit myself to 1500 calories per day, or if i'm really hungry 1800 calories. However with all the exercise I am doing, MyFitnessPal is telling me that my daily allowance should be 2280 calories (without exercise) to lose 0.5kg (about 1lbs) per week? Is the app telling me fibs or is the dietitian being overly cautious?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    2 hours of cardio every day does not sound particularly sustainable to me, and i'm a long distance runner so i do a fair bit of exercise! if you are going from no exercise to 2 hours 7 days a week then its a recipe for burnout or injury.

sounds like the dietitian is presuming that you wont accurately count 1500-1800 calories, that or you didn't mention to them that you would be doing 2 hours worth of cardio every day? netting 1500-1800 sounds more reasonable to me.
  • BMsJourney
    BMsJourney Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Hi All,

I'm a 24 (soon 25) year old woman currently weighing 102.2kg at 5"3 tall. I am under no illusion I need to lose weight and in fact I badly want to, and I have already taken some steps to do so ie. I have signed up for a gym membership and I am going every day (in the am before work) and do 2 hours of cardio (exercise bike, rowing machine, treadmill, cross trainer at 30 mins each) and I average around 1,000 calories lost. I could easily do more but I don't have the time due to work and family life. I am also seeing a dietitian and my stats are:

102.2kg
    BMI 73.5
    Body Fat %: 40%
    Visceral Fat: 9%
    BMR: 1751 calories
    TDEE: 2622 calories

The dietitian told me to limit myself to 1500 calories per day, or if i'm really hungry 1800 calories. However with all the exercise I am doing, MyFitnessPal is telling me that my daily allowance should be 2280 calories (without exercise) to lose 0.5kg (about 1lbs) per week? Is the app telling me fibs or is the dietitian being overly cautious?

I would go with the dietitian, at least for starters. He/she has seen you in person, and give advise specifically for you, whereas MFP are based on more generic formulas, and even if it is effective in many cases, it is not tailored in the same manner.
    If you start feeling miserable/off on the diet suggestion, go back and ask for a new one!

Best of luck,
    B
  • julielunk94
    julielunk94 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    2 hours of cardio every day does not sound particularly sustainable to me, and i'm a long distance runner so i do a fair bit of exercise! if you are going from no exercise to 2 hours 7 days a week then its a recipe for burnout or injury.

sounds like the dietitian is presuming that you wont accurately count 1500-1800 calories, that or you didn't mention to them that you would be doing 2 hours worth of cardio every day? netting 1500-1800 sounds more reasonable to me.

I have been doing that amount of exercise for a few months now, except that was at home on a rather old exercise bike. I don't feel weak or burned out, I find it really satisfying at the end of a session. It's somewhat addictive really.

Re the exercise, I did mention this to her straight away, and initially she said stick to 1200 calories per day with no exercise, or the 1500-1800 range with the amount of exercise I am doing.

Obviously a dietitian is qualified and should know what they're talking about, so I will put more weight on what she tells me versus an app. I do like MFP though, but it just worries me that there's a differentiation between the two limits,
  • julielunk94
    Options
    *Side question*

If my TDEE is 2622 calories, but I've been told to stick to 1500 per day. If say I exercise and manage to burn 1000 calories through that, does that mean that I can safely consume more than 1500 in that particular day whilst still being in deficit?
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    *Side question*

If my TDEE is 2622 calories, but I've been told to stick to 1500 per day. If say I exercise and manage to burn 1000 calories through that, does that mean that I can safely consume more than 1500 in that particular day whilst still being in deficit?

that TDEE sounds low given your weight and exercise level? does that TDEE include 14 hours exercise per week?
  • julielunk94
    Options
    4i68x3si5yns.png

It does include the exercise according to the above picture
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    4i68x3si5yns.png

That says your TDEE is 3454, which sounds more like it, so if you take 1000 cals from that, you will lose around 2lb per week.
  • julielunk94
    Options
    4i68x3si5yns.png

That says your TDEE is 3454, which sounds more like it, so if you take 1000 cals from that, you will lose around 2lb per week.

Oops so it does... I'll go and put the dunce hat on LOL..

but even if I take 1000 from that, that's still 2454, which is 800-1000 more than what the dietitian said to keep to. Can I safely go with the 2454 and still lose weight, even if it's 1lbs per week or thereabouts?
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    4i68x3si5yns.png

Oops so it does... I'll go and put the dunce hat on LOL..

but even if I take 1000 from that, that's still 2454, which is 800-1000 more than what the dietitian said to keep to. Can I safely go with the 2454 and still lose weight, even if it's 1lbs per week or thereabouts?

its your choice which you want to follow. personally i would go with eating as much as possible while still losing weight.

try 2400 for 6 weeks, see what the scales do?