Stuck

Options
Hey guys I know it’s been asked many times before (I’m sure) but I have been eating only my 1500 calories a day or less, but not usually less that about 150 cals, and supposed to be losing 1.5 lbs a week. Well the past 2-3 weeks, I’ve lost nothing. Any ideas why this might be? Or have you faced this as well?

Replies

• shaf238
    shaf238 Posts: 4,021 Member
    Options
    How long have you been on 1500 calories? Not enough info provided to tell but it's possible you've now reached maintenance.
  • MDL1418
    MDL1418 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    About two months. And MFP adjusted to this automatically as you know it does. And I even went in and changed it around to make sure it updated based on my stats
  • reality7001
    reality7001 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    MDL1418 wrote: »
    About two months. And MFP adjusted to this automatically as you know it does. And I even went in and changed it around to make sure it updated based on my stats

I'm in the same boat - going on 2 months now. Lost about 20lbs then stalled out completely. 😕 wish I knew what to do.
  • MDL1418
    Options
    You and me both. I am just gonna have to ramp up the exercise- that’s all I can do. Maybe to help speed the metabolism some more - we will get through it - for sure
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    You and me both. I am just gonna have to ramp up the exercise- that’s all I can do. Maybe to help speed the metabolism some more - we will get through it - for sure

You're not going to speed up your metabolism enough to effect weight loss, that's a myth (you're also not going to slow it down). Weigh your food, account for water weight (which isn't a bad thing) from things like medication(s) and/or exercises that are new to you, and track your food more accurately. How much weight do you have to lose? If you're at or nearing a healthy BMI that also has to do with it.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,951 Member
    Options
    Hey guys I know it’s been asked many times before (I’m sure) but I have been eating only my 1500 calories a day or less, but not usually less that about 150 cals, and supposed to be losing 1.5 lbs a week. Well the past 2-3 weeks, I’ve lost nothing. Any ideas why this might be? Or have you faced this as well?

If you just started a new exercise regimen you could be retaining water from that.

If not, there are mistakes that people commonly make that cause them to not lose weight that we might be able to spot if you change your Diary Sharing settings to Public: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings
  • reality7001
    Options
    For myself- I am 5'6" and 155 my goal is 135. I do weigh my foods and track but quit using MFP to do so and switched to another app that gives my macros and net carbs, without having to be a premium member. ... I was sick for a few weeks and that really needed me up because I couldn't work out but I still ate right. Screenshot below of what I usually aim for as a minimal daily Cal goal but I do hit 1300-1400 at times.

zsy1b476sy5w.png
  • reality7001
    Options

I found this link in another discussion... it might help us.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10634517/you-dont-use-a-food-scale/p1
  • reality7001
    Options

I found this link in another discussion... it might help us.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10634517/you-dont-use-a-food-scale/p1

WHOOPS wrong link!! Try this one instead

https://www.aworkoutroutine.com/why-am-i-not-losing-weight/
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

I agree with what others have said - now is a great time to tighten up your logging. Use a food scale, double check that the entries you are using in the database have accurate calories. When you are heavier you have more wiggle room, but as you get smaller you may have to be more detail oriented.

And it's also kind of normal to go a couple of weeks with no loss every once and awhile, it doesn't necessarily mean you have to change anything. Lots of people go through periods where they lose in whooshes, they stall for a bit and then 'whoosh' they see a big drop.

Also keep in mind, as you get smaller you can't expect to lose as fast. If you have less than 30 lbs or so to lose to get into the healthy weight range, 1.5 lbs per week may simply not be realistic anymore. Slowing down a little as you get nearer to goal can make transitioning to maintenance easier.

Hang in there :smiley:
  • MDL1418
    Options
    Thanks for all of the great advice! I will certainly look at the suggested items too. I appreciate all of this.