Setting weight loss goals -- All at once or in steps?

Options
Hello all, looking for some advice. I have about 200 pounds to lose and so far, so good. Last year I was able to take off about 25 pounds from my heaviest and keep it off all year. This is a long term game though, and I was wondering whether I should set smaller, intermediate weight loss goals (25-50 pounds) or set my goal weight as the finish line? I've tried it the 2nd way for the last year and didn't see much in the way of working towards my goal and wondering if the change will help with motivation.

Has anyone else come across this and found that it worked or found that it didn't help at all?

Replies

• scd78
    scd78 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I set my main goal, then little ones along the way. I find the small goals keep me motivated to get to the large goal. Good luck on your journey. Feel free to add me.
  • hmaddpear
    hmaddpear Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    As above - I've one main goal, but set myself smaller ones on the way. Current goal, to lose a stone (14lb). Don't forget those non-scale goals as well - fitting into a new (smaller) pair of trousers or shirt, or walking a longer distance.

Along with my first weight goal, I've got a goal of getting back into my work trousers and running a good 10K at the end of February. Once I've achieved those, I'll set some more.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    I set my final goal when MFP asked, but I keep my focus on every five pounds. Then I make my husband dance with me every time I pass a five pound mark.. Well, we don't even out on music, so it is more of a wiggle party, but at least we celebrate.
  • anl90
    anl90 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    I am pretty much in the same boat as those above me. I have in my head the weight I would like to get to, but I don't focus on that - I focus on reaching smaller goals to eventually get to it. It helps me better, but I honestly think it depends on the person. Just trust your judgment, and go with whichever one you feel more comfortable/you feel you will have the most success with. :)
  • amberellen12
    amberellen12 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I’m like the other posters. One main goal but little goals along the way -1 lb per week goal.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,467 Member
    Options
    I found that to lose a hundred lbs, I had to reinvent myself about 4 times. The goal I had in mind when I started turned out to be about 30 lbs more than where I ended up. Long term goals are best pursued with the attitude of see how it is when I get there.

Try to think of some process goals. Things you can actually control, like log everything every day for a month. Then 2. Then 3. Go to the gym 5x per week. Plan your meals every Sunday. Stuff like that. The scale is awfully fickle.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    Take time to think about who you are and what you think will work. My husband needs to lose 100 pounds. He has trouble losing - he loves food so much, and he feels pretty comfortable in his own skin.

He lost 35 pounds last year..and has regained 10. I just wish he'd lose 25 a. year and slowly get it done. Time is going to pass no matter what and in a three more years he'd be done.
  • katp13
    katp13 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Personally, while I've got an end goal in mind, i set my goal on MFP to my first/next mini goal. I find it really motivating when i get the message from MFP saying I've met my goal! Of course, i then set a new mini goal to work towards. I plan to keep going like this until i reach my end goal, whenever that may be.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    Set the goal for me to be in the healthy weight range, initially, and find the motivation to continue from every pound lost. Every pound gone, motivates me to keep on track.