90 Days on Keto & Intermittent Fasting -> 42 lbs lost

Options
I went a few days of just reducing my carbs before actually committing to keto. I didn't start IF until about 45 days in, and that was to help bust through a few short plateaus. The only real exercise I'm doing is getting around 5,000 steps in per day (I've done a few runs, but those involved drinking beer, so I don't really count them. On On!). Another 20 lbs and I plan on actually working out. Last week, my blood pressure read as normal for the first time in years. While I have a bunch of different keto recipes, I'm mostly sticking with boring for now. My total goal is to lose just over 90 lbs, so I'm almost halfway there.
6'0" Male 46, 276/234/180

Replies

• nstott1
    nstott1 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    right on! that's great progress
    how did the IF affect your weight loss in general, what fasting strategy did you use?
  • 6kertisz
    6kertisz Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm 4 days in and truly struggling. I've always been a bread and candy gal. I can do IF but I find I can't get all my calories in.. tips?
  • MyRoadto195
    MyRoadto195 Posts: 51 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    6kertisz wrote: »
    I'm 4 days in and truly struggling. I've always been a bread and candy gal. I can do IF but I find I can't get all my calories in.. tips?

Body takes time to go into Keto and get Fat-adapted. About 3-6 days. But you will have to reduce your carbs. Keep your net carb intake between 40-50 and then bring it down. Look up net carb. 4 large eggs with 2 oz of cheese and tablespoon of olive oil and spinach is about 500-600 calories. Two chicken leg and thigh pieces about 600 calories and broccoli about 50-80 calories with oil another 100. So it is about 1200 calories right there with net carbs below 20
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    6kertisz wrote: »

How are you struggling? Surely if you're struggling because you're hungry, you can use the calories you aren't getting in to eat more food?
  • Gilsquared
    Gilsquared Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    nstott1 wrote: »
    right on! that's great progress
    how did the IF affect your weight loss in general, what fasting strategy did you use?

The fasting has definitely boosted the losses! The full feelings that I get from the high fat (heavy cream in my coffee doesn't officially break a fast) keep me satisfied throughout most of the day. Since I'm not starving, I'm not snacking.

My Intermittent Fasting strategy has been to not eat until about 3:30 PM (usually an omelet or some cheese). The next thing I know, It's 6:30 PM and I've eaten 1,000 calories and I'm full for the rest of the day. There have been a few days where my overall caloric intake was less than 500, while my actual goal is 1,500. I used the settings in My Fitness Pal to help me track the 5/30/65 macros (although I'm usually at 2 or 3 % carbs).
  • capturethemagic
    capturethemagic Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I’m interested in doing this but wondering if you could share some simple recipes with me to get started I’ve been doing IF for a while now but would like to do keto as well
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Gilsquared wrote: »
    I went a few days of just reducing my carbs before actually committing to keto. I didn't start IF until about 45 days in, and that was to help bust through a few short plateaus. The only real exercise I'm doing is getting around 5,000 steps in per day (I've done a few runs, but those involved drinking beer, so I don't really count them. On On!). Another 20 lbs and I plan on actually working out. Last week, my blood pressure read as normal for the first time in years. While I have a bunch of different keto recipes, I'm mostly sticking with boring for now. My total goal is to lose just over 90 lbs, so I'm almost halfway there.
    6'0" Male 46, 276/234/180

Congrats on the weight loss, but you should start lifting weights immediately if you are not already. Ideally you should have started 90 days ago, but definitely start ASAP
  • russelltc
    russelltc Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Try the Keto Reset Cookbook. $19 on Amazon and has great receipes.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!