Meal Plans while Pregnant and Sick

Options
nrtauthor
nrtauthor Posts: 159 Member
Just to be clear, I am not on a weight loss plan but my doctor has approved me to eat to maintain. I am obese so he feels there is no risk to baby if I eat maintenance.

That said, I am so freaking sick! And I need a bit of help. Week 16, nausea out of control, vomiting like it's the purge and suffering from migraines.

I have regained enough energy that I feel I could start meal prepping again but I'm at a loss as to what to eat!!!

Nuts are out.

Doc has asked me to cut sugar out so no fruits (except berries) and no potatoes.

Because processed foods were a HUGE part of my diet, cutting out the snacks and the sugars has left me at a bit of a loss as to how to hit my calorie goal daily. As it stands I'm hitting a good 800 below what I should be hitting and just need some ideas for high impact meals that also won't make me sick (wishful thinking?).

Tomato and tomato based foods are out (make me sick).

Dairy is out (make me sick).

Gluten is out (allergic to wheat).

All that said... any ideas on some meals I could try?

TL:DR Anybody have some nut-free, dairy-free, gluten-free, dairy-free, sugar-free recipes?

Replies

• nrtauthor
    Options
    PS: For the last 16 weeks I have maintained my weight despite the sick, I'm just trying to improve my diet now and be a bit healthier in my food choices.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    how about meat...and vegetables...

grill or bake to your hearts content
  • nrtauthor
    Options
    how about meat...and vegetables...

grill or bake to your hearts content

Well, yeah, but that gets a bit old don't you think? Haha.
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    okay, I say screw trying to stay on some "diet" and get something to stay in your stomach. When I was sick with my second child the only thing that made me feel decent and not nauseous was salt and vinegar chips. I ate those and drank gingerale. I finally got my dr to prescribe me something b/c days went by where I could barely lift my head from my desk at work without feeling sick.
    This too shall pass and it'll pass quickly so just eat something. For me, salt and vinegar chips saved my life.
  • nrtauthor
    Options
    okay, I say screw trying to stay on some "diet" and get something to stay in your stomach. When I was sick with my second child the only thing that made me feel decent and not nauseous was salt and vinegar chips. I ate those and drank gingerale. I finally got my dr to prescribe me something b/c days went by where I could barely lift my head from my desk at work without feeling sick.
    This too shall pass and it'll pass quickly so just eat something. For me, salt and vinegar chips saved my life.

It's less about diet and more about wanting to provide proper nutrition to my body and baby but I get what you're saying too! I honestly haven't found any magic food that I can tolerate so I'm kind of like: Well, may as well find some good recipes and eat well.

This babe hates soda of any kind so ginger ale hasn't worked at all!!! Haha. I think I have a future health nut on my hands. ;)
  • daisymp678
    daisymp678 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Lentil soup? Chicken soup?

Baby takes your vitamins & minerals first so you have to eat to keep you healthy.

Hope it gets better soon.
  • DevinH85
    DevinH85 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Lentils, spinach, strawberry salad. All high in folic acid and fiber.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    nrtauthor wrote: »

It's less about diet and more about wanting to provide proper nutrition to my body and baby but I get what you're saying too! I honestly haven't found any magic food that I can tolerate so I'm kind of like: Well, may as well find some good recipes and eat well.

This babe hates soda of any kind so ginger ale hasn't worked at all!!! Haha. I think I have a future health nut on my hands. ;)

How is a diet that eliminates fruit and potatoes about providing "proper nutrition"? Did your doctor say "no sugar" and you interpreted that to mean no fruit or potatoes? And are you also axing carrots, beets, and squash, all of which have as much sugar as potatoes?

Maybe you should double check with the doctor as to whether s/he meant no added sugars?

And I'm definitely on board with the idea that you're more likely to get something nutritionally positive from eating enough food of whatever you can tolerate than you are from not eating anything, or not eating enough.

As for suggestions of what to eat: choose a protein (meat, poultry, fish, eggs, legumes); choose a non-starchy vegetable or two (leafy greens, cruciferous veggies, legumes if that's not your protein, etc.); choose a gluten-free grain or a starchy vegetable if there are any you will eat. Cook and eat. You can just have them as three or four individual foods on your plate. Or you can make soups, entree salads, stir fries, casseroles...
  • Baby_On_Board_85
    Options
    I am 16w as well and in the same boat. Try Yummly.com it allows you to filter recipes by dietary restrictions and food aversions.
  • nrtauthor
    Options
    nrtauthor wrote: »

How is a diet that eliminates fruit and potatoes about providing "proper nutrition"? Did your doctor say "no sugar" and you interpreted that to mean no fruit or potatoes? And are you also axing carrots, beets, and squash, all of which have as much sugar as potatoes?

Maybe you should double check with the doctor as to whether s/he meant no added sugars?

And I'm definitely on board with the idea that you're more likely to get something nutritionally positive from eating enough food of whatever you can tolerate than you are from not eating anything, or not eating enough.

As for suggestions of what to eat: choose a protein (meat, poultry, fish, eggs, legumes); choose a non-starchy vegetable or two (leafy greens, cruciferous veggies, legumes if that's not your protein, etc.); choose a gluten-free grain or a starchy vegetable if there are any you will eat. Cook and eat. You can just have them as three or four individual foods on your plate. Or you can make soups, entree salads, stir fries, casseroles...

A million years later... he specifically said no potatoes or fruit. I did not misunderstand. And yes, he wanted me to squash carrots, beets, squash, etc. as well but I opted not to listen. I just did my own thing.

He's a health nut and on this crazy diet and he periodically encourages me to do the diet too. I just do my own thing. ;)

Week 28 of pregnancy. 20lbs gained (although everyone tells me I don't look like I've gained a single pound). No gestational diabetes but I am now anemic (wasn't before). My blood pressure has plummeted since beginning of pregnancy but has not hit a 'dangerous' zone yet.

Other than that, baby is doing well and I haven't been over eating.

Pregnancy cravings have hit and all I want is vegetables. ALL the vegetables. LOL.

Resurrecting my own thread to add an update on the progress of things.

There was one week in month 4 where I ate NOTHING because I was puking constantly and I still gained 2lbs. LOL. It was at that point I gave up on the dream of maintaining or losing and just focused on eating what didn't make me puke.

I still puke and many foods still make me desperately sick so I'm still just focused on getting in what I can get in and trying not to eat junk (haven't touched soda since beginning of pregnancy, don't eat chips, cookies, etc. at all because the baby still despises all of it - and what I mean by that is my taste buds won't allow it).

Pregnancy has had a number of complications and I now have to have surgery after the baby is born due to some issues the pregnancy revealed. Doc says those underlying issues may have been a large part of the reason I was struggling so much with weight lost BEFORE pregnancy. So yay!