High calorie salads

Options
This conversation is awesome. I have this issue as well. I love salad but I can’t help but think of the movie PeterRabbit where the little pudgy bunny comments on this. Being the heavier one and all he eats is salad- it’s all in the dressing. I seen a comment on using oil or a light vinegarette to make a dressing and it does help but I’ve noticed that’s the hardest part is cutting back in the dressing! Good luck fellow salad eaters!!

Replies

• spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Options
    I rarely make salads because DH's idea of a decent salad is 1/4 cup of lettuce, a couple of hard boiled eggs, a couple of ounces of cheese, a 1/2 cup of ham, and about a cup of blue cheese dressing. That was okay when we were doing Atkins, but not so good when you're counting calories.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    It's all in what you can get used to. My favorite lettuce is romaine, so I start there. Sometimes I cut back on dressing by using light, or a combination of light and full fat (it depends upon the flavor). I have never gotten used to the fat-free stuff as it has a weird taste to me.
  • zeejane03
    zeejane03 Posts: 993 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    There's lots of low calorie dressing options out there, my go-to is Kraft low calorie Italian-it has like 15 calories per serving (I use this as a veggie marinade too). They also make a low calorie Catalina dressing that's good.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    I rarely make salads because DH's idea of a decent salad is 1/4 cup of lettuce, a couple of hard boiled eggs, a couple of ounces of cheese, a 1/2 cup of ham, and about a cup of blue cheese dressing. That was okay when we were doing Atkins, but not so good when you're counting calories.

Ha! Not too similar to how my OH likes salad. I assemble one for him and one for me. I keep dressing calories low for me by only using 1 T of full fat dressing and adding cottage cheese, which gives me some of the mouth-feel of dressing for far less calories, plus bonus protein.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    dressings, nuts, cheese, croutons are big calorie hogs in salads. for dressings i usually use a light or yogurt based ones. it helps. my average salad (with meat cheese and dressing) is between 400-500 cals. I can make it lower if i need to, but thats a 'meal' salad.
  • gogetemrogue
    gogetemrogue Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    z6ab19gn6br4.png

This is an example of a very tasty and filling salad that I make for myself a couple times a week. Perhaps it's a little high in fat for some's taste but I am fine with it personally. You can use less olive oil to heat up the sausage after you slice it, but I use this amount so that I can pour it all off into the salad and toss it. The oil takes on some of the sausage flavor (especially if I switch out apple chicken for andouille) and the heat from the oil allows the goat cheese to soften and mix nicely.

I switch out the sausage based on what type I have on hand, but you can go even more healthy and switch it for chicken breast or another protein. I like to use the sausage though because it is easy for my lifestyle. Add some pepper for additional flavor as well if you would like.

• gcminton
    gcminton Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Funny, most of my calories in a salad come from adding eggs, meat (mmm ham) or nuts. I've found some yogurt-based dressings that are pretty low in calories and taste pretty dang good.
  • emilysusana
    emilysusana Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Try taco salad with romaine, seasoned ground beef, tomatoes, avocado, bell peppers, hot sauce, a little light sour cream and some lime juice. Throw on some tortilla strips (found near the croutons at the grocery store) and you have a super filling salad, no dressing needed. I can have a huge salad like this for around 3-400 calories and it’s a complete meal... not hungry afterwards.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    Like someone else said, it's all what you're used to. I flat out don't like most store bought/popular dressings in the US - that's always been the case. When I make a salad it will have maybe a tbsp and a half of vinaigrette, some sort of protein (chicken or smoked salmon), vegetables (lettuce, onions and/or scallions, tomatoes if they're in season, grated carrot, etc), and maybe parmesan cheese.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    You can dilute dressing with lemon or lime juice, milk,or water. A little goes a long way.
  • TheTruthAtAnyCost
    TheTruthAtAnyCost Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I like salsa as a low calorie dressing on taco salad like someone suggested above. It's super flavourful so you don't need a ton and it's about 15 calories for 2 tbsp. Tons of sodium though if you're watching that.
  • jesspen91
    jesspen91 Posts: 1,383 Member
    Options
    I'm a bit weird but I like hot sauce on salad. I love anything spicy. I also like to make my salads more filling by including egg and beans.
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    Chopped fresh mint a little oil and some vinegar put in a jar and shake. This is my favorite dressing on pretty much anything salad related.
  • LynnJ9
    LynnJ9 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    If you are eating out Mad Greens is great. Their website will figure your nutritional values when you add or subtract items. My favorite is the Don Quixote salad but substituting the roasted red pepper dressing!
  • lbride
    lbride Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Dole Chopped Chipotle and Cheddar is awesome (420 for whole bag, add some grilled chicken and it's not much more); I think most of the calories are in the dressing and it is AWESOME
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    I eat a huge salad out of a mixing bowl almost every night. I'm not trying to lose weight but it's still my favourite dinner.

My favourite dressing is just plain fresh-squeezed lemon juice. I have it even when I'm not remotely concerned with calories. Fresh herbs, like someone mentioned above, are also a great way to add flavour (I like to throw in chopped basil, parsley, thyme, and/or mint with many of my salads.)

I also like hot sauce and salsa on some salads and straight balsamic or even red wine vinegar. All very low calorie and flavourful.