how low for low carb diet?

I was told by a friend that i should not consume more than 70 carbs a day to lose weight. I have been consuming probably more like 150-170 a day. I looked at WebMD and it seems that low carbs can be quite unhealthy. So how low is too low?

Replies

• Jojobeth
    Jojobeth Posts: 19
    I normally stay around 100 carbs a day and lost 5 pounds in a week! I dont think doing low carb is unhealthy...you should go watch the documentary 'Fathead'. You can find it on Netflix and Hulu. Its about low carb...its very interesting!
  • bluebird321
    bluebird321 Posts: 733 Member
    Lots of different opinions on this subject --. I stick to 70 or less every day and it works good for me and it doesn't seem to affect my exercise intensity. .
  • pickenslmc
    pickenslmc Posts: 47 Member
    Try different amounts. For most people around 100g a day seems to be a good number. That isn't especially low carb though, more moderate. I was eating between 50-70 a day and for me that wasn't enough, it made me grouchy. Now I generally eat between 100-150 grams a day, this allows for a little starch and more fruit.
  • ResilientWoman
    ResilientWoman Posts: 440 Member
    I feel best under 20g carbs daily and get 60-85% of my fuel from healthy fats. Picky about the source of my protein when I can be. Grass fed beef and heavy cream from grass fed cows make a huge difference in my energy levels.
  • momof8munchkins
    momof8munchkins Posts: 1,167 Member
    I am doing paleo about 90% of the time.. which is naturally low carb.. I try to keep it around 50 grams or less per day, I am finding it is not an easy thing to do even though I am grain free out of necessity and that helps but even fruit, nuts and a lot of veggies have carbs. I was shocked to find out how many carbs a tomato has in it lol. I try not think about it too much and get caught up in the numbers.So I focus on eating what is healthy for me.. it is very short list..plain meats, eggs, fruit , veggies, good fats, cocoa for when I need chocolate, nuts and a potato once in a while.. I am not sure it is the best way for everyone to eat but I function and feel better when eating this way. Coconut milk is a wonderful good fat and I find I feel better the more of it I get a day but it is pricey so I do not drink as much as I would like..if I could tolerate dairy I would go with heavy cream which I believe to be a good fat (and more affordable than coconut milk) to those who don't have issues with dairy..
  • THCamel
    THCamel Posts: 54 Member
    I aim for 15-20gm after fibre :smile: