C25K progress

Options
Couldn't really think of another title for this topic.

Basically I'm in week 7 (although it's taken me a lot longer than 7 weeks to get here) of C25k.

And while I'm really proud of my progress and how far I've come, I can't help but be a little disheartened at the fact that my pace is a lot slower than what is expected in the app, so I cant quite reach the distances it's set for me within the time limit.

I think it's aimed for someone running at a pace of about 6:25 mins per km, but I'm more like 7:20 mins. Like, is it even still considered running at that pace?

I'm still significantly over weight (just over 90kg) so I'm sure that's a factor, but I still want to crush my goals y'know?

Any tips on improving my pace? Any help and/or encouragement is appreciated :)

Replies

• hmaddpear
    hmaddpear Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Bearing in mind, I'm not a good runner - I completed my C25K three years ago, and have been pootling round 5k and 10k races since then. I'm not fast, nor consistent, but have probably completed about 15 races since 'graduating'.

1. At this moment in time, don't worry about pace. Work towards running the 5K at the end of the programme (or running for the half hour - depending on the goal of the programme), and enjoy yourself. Improvement in pace will come naturally with running more.

2. 6:25 per km is pretty quick for a training app / run. I run around 7 per km to get close to a 30 minute 5K race time. If I have to stop training for any length of time, it drops considerably until I get my muscles and breathing back into it. So consistency is a big factor as well.

3. Weight has a large effect on pace, so as you lose weight, your time will drop considerably as well. As long as you don't get disheartened.

You're doing awesomely - please don't let disappointment in your pace discourage you from completing this.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    C25k doesn't really have an "expected" pace. Most beginners are nowhere near a 30 min 5k when they finish the program. I have friends who've been running for years who don't do a 30 min 5k. You are doing great, just keep going!
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    I didn't run a 30 minute 5k after finishing C25K. My first 5k race time was something like 45 minutes. I am just now at a point where I am reasonably sure I'd finish a 5k in less than 30 minutes at race pace, and I've been running routinely for four years. However, I now run about 15-20 miles per week minimum, and I complete two half marathons per year, plus multiple shorter races. I sure couldn't do any of that when I finished C25K.

C25K is just meant to train you to run for 30 minutes. Most of us can't finish our first 5k in that time. But if you can run for 30 minutes, you'll be able to cross the finish line on race day. Either you'll run the extra distance thanks to training and/or adrenaline, or you'll run/walk, but you'll get there. If you want to keep running, then you can work on speed or endurance after finishing C25K.
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    My fastest 5K ever was something around 37 minutes. Right now, because I'm coming off an injury and also have gained weight, I'm considerably slower. Nevertheless, I have run and finished 2 half marathons. I guarantee you that I am a runner - and if I am a runner then you are a runner. The only qualification you need to be a runner is to run.

And don't find any dead bodies because then we will have to call you a jogger.
  • thelastnightingale
    thelastnightingale Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    I've been running 5K non-stop for years at a pace of around 8 minutes per K and I'm not much lighter than you. You're doing great, don't worry. You'll be so proud of yourself the first time you manage to do 5K without walking, focus on reaching that goal safely rather than the time it takes you to do it in!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Yeah I think the app is a little optimistic about being able to do 5k in 30 minutes.

I'd been running 2 years (and completed a couple of 10ks and a half marathon) when I did my first 5k race and completed it in 30:33!

Don't worry about speed, that'll come later.
  • stephieleee
    stephieleee Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your support and encouragement!

I guess my expectations came from the apps last run saying "jog 3 miles (or 30 minutes)" so assumed I should be doing at least 3 miles within that 30 minutes.

I'm definitely going to to keep going! I've entered a fun run on the 17th of Feb which is 6.5km. I dont think I'll be able to run the whole distance, but if I can achieve just running 5km, that will be so worth it!

Thanks again!