Low carb diet

Options
2»

Replies

• yaryrosa
    yaryrosa Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    https://www.ruled.me/keto-recipes

I get a whole bunch of recipe ideas from that site.
  • erjones11
    erjones11 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    jaci34 wrote: »
    Anyone who is eating low carb, help me! What is an easy breakfast? What do eat for lunch and snacks....and for dinner? I have a family and they won't be doing low carb, so how do I make my low carb diet fit into their dinners? Thanks!!

I go for turkey a lot. Turkey sausage, turkey bacon and sweet or hot Italian turkey sausage for dinner. I cook it up all kinds of ways, with peppers, onions, mushrooms you name it.
  • yaryrosa
    yaryrosa Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    crnacrn wrote: »
    Anyone doing keto? Ive been on the diet since jan 1st. No weight loss and im not sure Im doing it correctly.

I've lost 50 pounds on keto. My rule of thumb is eat only if I'm truly (stomach rumbling) hungry, eat until I'm full and happy, never eat if I'm not hungry, not caring about meal times. I found that by letting my body take the lead I lost faster. Usually eat about 2 meals a day, one at 11 am and one around 5-6pm. Doing any diet is so much easier for me if I don't have to plan for three meals plus snacks.

I eat eggs, cheese, cream, meats, fish, nuts, avocados, full fat greek yogurt, berries, and TONS of veggies. I try to not eat anything processed. Generally stick to 65% fat / 10% carbs / 25% protein. These work for me.

Play with your ratios and listen to your body and how you feel. Good luck!
  • Teabythesea_
    Teabythesea_ Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Anyone doing keto? Ive been on the diet since jan 1st. No weight loss and im not sure Im doing it correctly.

It hasn’t even been a week... surely you didn’t gain the weight in that amount of time, so don’t expect it to come off that quick. With that being said, if you still aren’t losing after a few weeks, make sure you’re accurately measuring caloric intake. Keto can be a useful tool for weight loss for many, but that’s all it is, a tool. Weight loss still comes down to eating fewer calories than you burn. Good luck! :)
  • reddwarf63
    reddwarf63 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Cauliflower rice, easy low carb meal
  • ottos37
    ottos37 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You should do what I do and make a master grocery list. Here are my

Grocery Staples:

Protien:
    Eggs
    Tuna
    Salmon
    Chicken
    Turkey
    Shrimp
    Cottage cheese
    Yogurt
    Sardines

Fat:
    Avacado
    Olive oil
    Almonds
    Peanuts
    Almond butter
    Peanut butter

Carbohydrates:
    Potatoes
    Sweet potatoes
    Broccoli
    Asparagus
    Spinach
    Brussel sprouts
    Protien Blends
    Califlower
    Pickles
    Onions
    Leafy greens
    Tomatoes

Sugars
    Bananas
    Grapefruit
    Apples
    Oranges
    Pineapple
  • CindyJNC1963
    CindyJNC1963 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    ottos37 wrote: »
    You should do what I do and make a master grocery list. Here are my

Grocery Staples:

Protien:
    Eggs
    Tuna
    Salmon
    Chicken
    Turkey
    Shrimp
    Cottage cheese
    Yogurt
    Sardines

Fat:
    Avacado
    Olive oil
    Almonds
    Peanuts
    Almond butter
    Peanut butter

Carbohydrates:
    Potatoes
    Sweet potatoes
    Broccoli
    Asparagus
    Spinach
    Brussel sprouts
    Protien Blends
    Califlower
    Pickles
    Onions
    Leafy greens
    Tomatoes

Sugars
    Bananas
    Grapefruit
    Apples
    Oranges
    Pineapple

I don't understand your carb and sugar list. I would call most everything in your carb list a vegetable (with potatoes being a starchy vegetable). Everything in your sugar list is a fruit.....very high in carbs.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Just an FYI, protein blends are a frozen veggie thing from Bird's Eye which I wish I could do, but gluten. They have beans, or lentils or edamame and whole grains plus veggies in a sauce. They'd make a really convenient vegetarian lunch.

• CindyJNC1963
    CindyJNC1963 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    The carb and sugar lists are both carb lists. Vegetables are primarily carbs.

I don't get the list unless the point is to help people understand what foods tend to have more of various macros. If I were doing super low carb I couldn't eat fruit or potatoes, and beats me what a protein blend is.

As someone who does only moderately low carb (just due to personal preference), I eat unlimited veg (and usually 10-12+ servings), plus potatoes, sweet potatoes, fruit, and beans and lentils, as well as occasional rice and pasta.

I get that if you are diabetic you may need to limit fruit or mix it with protein and fat, but it is such a pet peeve of mine that people claim fruit is bad for you or needs to be limited for the average person (beyond calories and getting enough protein). That's nonsense.

That is a MUCH better explanation of what I was trying to say. It would make more sense to divide the carb and sugar list into high carb and low carb foods....if you were separating them out.

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    Yeah -- I sometimes forget that not everyone is aware of what foods have fat, protein, carbs, so if you were starting to watch macros breaking them down like that might be helpful, but I wouldn't group them separately into carbs and sugars (since sugar is a carb). I might separate out non starchy veg since although primarily carbs they are inherently low cal, so also not going to be that high in carbs.

I kind of hate calling food "carbs," though, as so many are mixed and the usage is often quite arbitrary. Not that I don't fall into doing it often enough.

I tend to break them down in my head to what part they play in a meal. So veg, protein (could include beans and lentils), starchy courses, fruit, fat for accent/taste (things like cheese, olive oil, nuts) would all be different categories.

Not saying anyone else should use that system, it's just how my mind does it. ;-)
  • RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    Just an FYI, protein blends are a frozen veggie thing from Bird's Eye which I wish I could do, but gluten. They have beans, or lentils or edamame and whole grains plus veggies in a sauce. They'd make a really convenient vegetarian lunch.

You aren't missing anything! I have not found any of them that taste good and actually have a good texture (i.e. everything cooked through without being mushy).
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    RAinWA wrote: »

You aren't missing anything! I have not found any of them that taste good and actually have a good texture (i.e. everything cooked through without being mushy).

Good to know, thanks!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options

There are mistakes that people commonly make that cause them to not lose weight that we might be able to spot if you change your Diary Sharing settings to Public: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings
  • hillarysmith0529
    hillarysmith0529 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I’m doing Keto and I end up eating a lot of eggs lol eggs and bacon or sausage are good for breakfast or any time of the day really. Veggies with guacamole or sour cream/ranch are a good snack, cheese sticks, nuts and seeds. You can make a protein, veggie and carb (starch) for your family’s meal and just skip the carb part. Any type of protein on salad with creamy dressing, bacon, cheese, guacamole and a side of veggies is always an easy go to. Just be sure to log everything so you can track your carbs. And drink lots of water! Feel free to add me if you need support or encouragement 😊 good luck!!