• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    ApeDog39 wrote: »
    My breakfast this morning, Veggie omlete

Omlette with eggs?
    Not vegan but it is vegetarian

I've made omelettes by blending tofu, no eggs required.

Speaking of which, they used to serve tofu scramble at the Kripalu Center for Yoga & Health. My ex actually liked it.

http://www.nasoya.com/healthy-tofu-recipes/tofu-scramble/

I love tofu scramble!
  • robbienjill
    robbienjill Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Shocking your body is not necessary. However, with that in mind, a vegan lifestyle is not a bad thing. Some go vegan for the planet, cruelty free, and love of all animals. There are many great websites to help you choose your path. For me, I can say I’m not the slimmest girl in the world, but I do it for the animals. Learning where your food comes from is important.
    But let’s not forget that the tasty Oreo is also vegan...but hey...moderation😉
    Good luck!
  • frenchiesgiirl
    frenchiesgiirl Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    @ApeDog39 congrats on choosing to be a fellow veggie! I'm not big on labeling because people tend to get their panties all bunched up. I eat a whole food plant based diet. No meat, no dairy and no processed vegan crap. Message me or send a friend request if you'd like to chat more. I'd be happy to help you. It is super easy to fall into the unhealthy vegetarian/vegan trap with all the products that are out there. I'll have some sometimes, but it is not a staple in my meals (I love MSF vegan chicken patties and can eat the whole box 🤷‍♀️ so I don't buy them often). Best of luck on your journey!
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    @ApeDog39 congrats on choosing to be a fellow veggie! I'm not big on labeling because people tend to get their panties all bunched up. I eat a whole food plant based diet. No meat, no dairy and no processed vegan crap. Message me or send a friend request if you'd like to chat more. I'd be happy to help you. It is super easy to fall into the unhealthy vegetarian/vegan trap with all the products that are out there. I'll have some sometimes, but it is not a staple in my meals (I love MSF vegan chicken patties and can eat the whole box 🤷‍♀️ so I don't buy them often). Best of luck on your journey!

Honestly, I'm not such a fan of looking at what people choose to eat and call it "crap." That's the kind of labeling I prefer to avoid, "vegan" I can totally live with.
  • Veganvibesss
    Veganvibesss Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Okay first, vegan isn’t something you do for a detox, I think you mean your going plant based for a month. Second you don’t need to detox there’s no such thing, do you mean you just want to start eating healthier? Also avocado is more of a fat source, things with protein are tofu, Seitan, tempeh, nuts, edamame, lentils, chickpea, beans, hemp and chai, quinoa, oats, rice, all kinds of veggies etc. I wouldn’t worry about trying to eat a bunch of protein, your most likely eating enough. It’s a common myth that vegans are protein deficient... In most cases vegans eat more protein then a non vegan because we are more aware of what we’re eating and healthier. It’s super easy to rack up calories as a vegan. Add things like chai and hemp to your breakfasts, tofu to your veggie bowls, peanut butter etc. To be honest I’ve been vegan for 7 years and before that I found it easier to eat low calorie but the food wasn’t as nutritious.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    In most cases vegans eat more protein then a non vegan because we are more aware of what we’re eating and healthier.

I think it's totally possible to get plenty of protein on a vegan or plant-based diet, but I think the above about protein is extremely unlikely.

As for "more aware of what we're eating and healthier," varies depending on the vegan (and the non vegan).
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    Okay first, vegan isn’t something you do for a detox, I think you mean your going plant based for a month. Second you don’t need to detox there’s no such thing, do you mean you just want to start eating healthier? Also avocado is more of a fat source, things with protein are tofu, Seitan, tempeh, nuts, edamame, lentils, chickpea, beans, hemp and chai, quinoa, oats, rice, all kinds of veggies etc. I wouldn’t worry about trying to eat a bunch of protein, your most likely eating enough. It’s a common myth that vegans are protein deficient... In most cases vegans eat more protein then a non vegan because we are more aware of what we’re eating and healthier. It’s super easy to rack up calories as a vegan. Add things like chai and hemp to your breakfasts, tofu to your veggie bowls, peanut butter etc. To be honest I’ve been vegan for 7 years and before that I found it easier to eat low calorie but the food wasn’t as nutritious.

I think you mean "chia," "chai" is tea.

Do you have a source for the claim that vegans eat more protein that non-vegans do? I certainly think it's possible for us to get enough protein, but I'm not aware of any research showing that we get *more*, as a population, than non-vegans do.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,972 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    ...In most cases vegans eat more protein then a non vegan because we are more aware of what we’re eating and healthier...

@Veganvibesss I would also like to see a source for this. My vegan friends have to work at getting sufficient protein. It's certainly doable, but more work than for people who are eating slabs of meat.
  • Veganvibesss
    Options
    I learnt that from “science vs” on their podcast on vegans. They were looking at statistics in different regions and vegans vs non vegans and found that they ate more protein and said it was probably because most vegans are health conscious and plan and know a lot about what they’re eating and they’re nutritional needs!
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    I'm honestly not following this protein thing. I'm a vegetarian. Some of my meals are vegan, but I have to be honest, if all of them were vegan, my protein consumption would take a big hit for the same amount of calories.

Now it's possible that if I were able to consume some of the vegan sources of protein that I can't due to intolerance issues (no gluten or soy), this might be different.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,972 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    I learnt that from “science vs” on their podcast on vegans. They were looking at statistics in different regions and vegans vs non vegans and found that they ate more protein and said it was probably because most vegans are health conscious and plan and know a lot about what they’re eating and they’re nutritional needs!

Did they do more than one episode? Because I found a transcript of an episode of that show focused on veganism and there isn't anything in there about studies showing that vegans eat more protein than non-vegans.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1KMEluvrhIr1aILpGQNRHcJWanAqIAY3pXx4ydwDtsKQ/edit

Thanks for finding that. I'm going to bookmark it for the dairy/calcium part as I was having problems finding references for that when it came up on another thread.

@Veganvibesss on page 15 it says that the studied group of vegans were healthier, not that they ate more protein. Was there another vegan episode?
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Did they do more than one episode? Because I found a transcript of an episode of that show focused on veganism and there isn't anything in there about studies showing that vegans eat more protein than non-vegans.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1KMEluvrhIr1aILpGQNRHcJWanAqIAY3pXx4ydwDtsKQ/edit

Thanks for finding that. I'm going to bookmark it for the dairy/calcium part as I was having problems finding references for that when it came up on another thread.

@Veganvibesss on page 15 it says that the studied group of vegans were healthier, not that they ate more protein. Was there another vegan episode?

I only did a quick skim of the transcript (plan to listen to the episode later), but it seems pretty well-sourced.
  • Veganvibesss
    Options

I swore it was that podcast I heard it on, I was listening to a few on veganism and remember a guy interviewing a girl doctor