Had one bad day and put on 2.5lb

Options
2»

Replies

• AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Don't deprive yourself. Of course you lost it when you told yourself no sugar. That is human nature.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Bad days happen. They do feel pretty bad due to the number going up. But this is mainly due to water retention. More food requires more water to process. So, don't worry about it. In fact, count on the fact there WILL be bad days and learn to accept them and heck, maybe enjoy them when they happen. Just make sure more days are good than bad!
  • JohnnytotheB
    JohnnytotheB Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I would think this may be water weight only. I don't think you have any issue if you remain focused and abide by your goals .
  • jamesjeffsmith
    jamesjeffsmith Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    1150 calories over your goal .33 pounds. 3500 calories equals a pound, so that is water weight and food in the digestive track. dont try to make up for this and go back to your goal. 3 days or so weight should level out.
  • n_green_l
    n_green_l Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I really watched it yesterday, really watched it and I put on another 3/4 of a pound! What am I supposed to do?? This is so disheartening. 😞
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I really watched it yesterday, really watched it and I put on another 3/4 of a pound! What am I supposed to do?? This is so disheartening. 😞

look at weekly and monthly trends, not daily.

step away from the scales is my advice.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options

You're OK, OP. :) Go back to page 1 and look at that chart of weight loss. This happens to everybody. The number on the scale from day-to-day honestly tells you nothing about the fat loss going on in your body. Here's a couple of posts you can consider to reassure yourself, and please realize if you are emotionally invested in these daily numbers, you are going to have a very hard time.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10303793/who-gained-weight-during-the-holidays-i-have-a-solution/p1

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10634529/why-did-the-number-on-the-scale-go-up-this-week-heres-why/p1

I also want to reiterate what someone else commented on. If you have chosen a weekly weight loss goal that is too aggressive for your current height, weight, & activity level (for example, 2 lbs/week is only for those with 75+ lbs to lose), you are going to struggle. If you were under-eating to the point of a binge, you likely need more calories on a daily basis.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    @Dilvish - Actually, weighing yourself daily is helpful for a lot of people. Weighing daily and tracking it in an app that will give you a moving average is going to give you a much more accurate picture of your weight than weighing once a week. But really it's about finding what works best for an individual. That might be only weighing once a week but you really shouldn't spread false information that weighing daily is something to be discouraged because research disagrees with you.

This.. Weighing daily, but only looking at the trend weight (running average) to smooth out fluctuations, can be much less frustrating unless you have a huge amount of weight to lose (where you can expect it to always go down despite any fluctuations). (If seeing the scale go up on a daily weight gives you grief, watching it go up on a weekly weigh out definitely isn't going to feel better).
  • anmille8
    anmille8 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    https://www.womenshealthmag.com/weight-loss/g19990871/weight-fluctuation-experiment/

I also like this article woman weighed herself every hour of the day about 15 times and saw her weight jump around seven pounds. I agree af is a good challenge but if you like a drink every now and then don't be yourself up over it. I'm doing it as a less alcohol challenge and had two drinks this weekend and the scale didn't move up or down which i'm satisfied with.
  • try2again
    Options
    anmille8 wrote: »
    https://www.womenshealthmag.com/weight-loss/g19990871/weight-fluctuation-experiment/

I also like this article woman weighed herself every hour of the day about 15 times and saw her weight jump around seven pounds. I agree af is a good challenge but if you like a drink every now and then don't be yourself up over it. I'm doing it as a less alcohol challenge and had two drinks this weekend and the scale didn't move up or down which i'm satisfied with.

I thought this would be a great article to share, but why on earth was she changing clothes, shoes, & socks every time she jumped on the scale? Hasn't she ever heard of minimizing the variables? :/
  • anmille8
    anmille8 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    try2again wrote: »

I thought this would be a great article to share, but why on earth was she changing clothes, shoes, & socks every time she jumped on the scale? Hasn't she ever heard of minimizing the variables? :/

right? she says shoes make a difference then continues to weight herself in shoes and why is one person changing shoes and socks that often?
  • try2again
    Options

right? she says shoes make a difference then continues to weight herself in shoes and why is one person changing shoes and socks that often?

IKR? I guess that's why she needs to work from home ;)
  • z4oslo
    z4oslo Posts: 229 Member
    Options

This is too hard

If you stumble and fall, are you really just gonna lie there?

• mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options

Right? I wonder if she was trying to increase the variability of her weigh-ins to make it more interesting. I did like the article, she has a nice light writing style and of course I agree with her point.
  • try2again
    Options
    mph323 wrote: »

Right? I wonder if she was trying to increase the variability of her weigh-ins to make it more interesting. I did like the article, she has a nice light writing style and of course I agree with her point.

I was impressed that the scale readings were as consistent as they were, considering. Her jeans must not weigh as much as my jeans ;) But the point would have been better made if she'd kept the same clothes on every time (who gets on the scale in heels?)
  • Veganvibesss
    Veganvibesss Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Impossible. A pound is equivalent to 3500 calories, so you ate 2450 but burned calories (personally I burn around 1800 doing almost nothing in a day) so you only likely had 650 calories too much, which would take you 5-6 days of eating this much to gain a pound even. So it would take about 16 days of eating like this to gain 3
  • Running2Fit
    Running2Fit Posts: 702 Member
    Options

I think you need to step away from the scale. While weight daily can be helpful for some, it’s clearly demotivating for you.

Focus on hitting your calorie goal and being more active for 2 weeks. Then try stepping on the scale again. Or throw the scale out completely and focus on other ways of measuring progress like:

- Progress Pictures
    - Measurements
    - How Your Clothes Fit
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,444 Member
    Options

I think we've seen the posts here where, on questioning, and OP turns out to have been weighing at different times of day wearing different clothes? I know I have. ;) Maybe that's why?

There was a pretty recent "weighed more after breakfast" thread! (I don't know if the clothes changed, in that one, or not. Doesn't matter.)