Protect Against Sepsis

Options
It's very hard to believe, but this soli photo shows the destructive force a Sepsis Infection has on the human body. The top picture is me, today, at 164.4 pounds with 14.6% Body Fat. The bottom photo was taken 15 September, almost 4 months ago; i had just had my semi-annual Naval Biometrics. My weight was 192.2 pounds, with A body Fat Percentage of 11.4%. In the interim, as many of you know, I was laid up with a serious Full Systemic Sepsis Infection. One that, ironically, we've pinned down to beginning with an MRSA Infection I contracted at my gym, which brings me to my point...

I know that most of you train at public gym facilities. When you do, PLEASE take every precaution to guard again u argos little nasties that are hidden everywhere. Trust me, as a Kinesiologist and person who has been infected, I know what I'm talking about. I have NEVER, in my almost 60 years, experienced ANYTHING as tortuous as this Sepsis Infection. I'm a very tough old horse, with an extremely high pain tolerance, but let me tell you, this brought me to my knees! I do not wish what I've experienced in last 4 months on ANYONE! So PLEASE, use those antiseptic wipes and clean the equipment, before and after each use; and use your antiseptic gel, and clean those hands. Do WHATEVER you can to protect yourself. I found it so ironic when my Infectious Disease Doc told me that the two most prevalent places to pick up Streptococcus or Staphylococcus Bacterium, the basis for Sepsis, is a hospital or gym; and he actually called any public Jacuzzi a Bacterium Stew! So PLEASE take care, and as always...

Stay 'Healthy' My Friends!👍 ✌️❤️ 💪 🤙azqqxllfbswk.jpeg

Replies

• Running2Fit
    Running2Fit Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Gyms are gross. A friend of my mother-in-law’s picked up the same thing at her gym. It’s scary!
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    If you know the answer, would you mind sharing where you think you acquired your infection and what you might have done differently to avoid it? Any first symptoms you could have acted on faster if you'd been better informed? Knowledge is power, as they say in GI Joe.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    Wow, those pictures speak volumes. Sorry you had to go through all of that, but I'm thrilled to see you've gotten better. And, smiling as always!

Thanks for the warning. <3
  • arilukaszewicz1
    arilukaszewicz1 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I’ll keep that in mind!! I’ll start cleaning the equipment before too. Thanks! Hope u get better
  • RunsWithBees
    RunsWithBees Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    I work in health care and I agree with this. I do not go to the gym because I find it boring, I’d rather be trail running in the hills, but yes germs are rampant in gyms. Although it is rare to get that bad an infection, it’s still a good idea to take all precautions available! Glad you are doing better! :)
  • OvershareUsername
    OvershareUsername Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Oh man. Thank you so much for sharing this important PSA so that others can help protect themselves!

That said, I am so sorry you have gone through this! How scary!! It sounds like you are on your path toward recovery now. Sending positive vibes your way!
  • gcminton
    gcminton Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Yikes. I'm glad you made it through that!

I ended up with a staph infection from shared showers in my late teens and put off getting it checked out (hurray dumb teenagers). I didn't know what it was at the time but was strongly warned that it could have led to sepsis if I'd kept putting it off. I've been mindful of shared spaces like that ever since.
  • MHarper522
    MHarper522 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I am really glad I saw this (and shared with my husband) because we really don't think about this and we're at the gym every single day.
  • JaxxieKat
    JaxxieKat Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry to hear about your illness. I have a friend who he and his wife contacted staph at an LA Fitness they used to go to. I am slowly building a collection of freeweights, because I intend to work out at home (and already do 80% of the time).
  • getrealgirl
    getrealgirl Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Look at you! So happy you have made such a great recovery! My son went through this nightmare too several years ago when MRSA was the “new thing”. He was 9 years old at the time (21 now). Infection from heel to pelvis on one side, in his abdomen and lungs. He also made a full recovery, continued to play football into college and is in peak performance shape.
    Thank you for helping to spread the word! I’ve done the same for years and will continue.
    Wishing you many more years of optimum health, sir!
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    so glad you are doing better!

ironic, really, your mention about wiping down before and after. i always do after, as do the people who are there at my 'normal' time. yesterday i was there slightly earlier due to the shift i was working, and NO ONE wiped down their machines after.

guess what i decided to do, going forward? yup - wipe down before, too.