Exercise and diet

Options
hi, I have been logging for 8 days and seem to be maintaining the diet okay. I just need some help with what to do with exercise. I work in a finance department, so I don't do much exercise during the day. what do you think is good for me to start with? i have tried to exercise before but always put myself off it. should i start walking more in the evenings? would that help? i need to lose 5 stone so do i need to do more cardio exercise.
thanks xx

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    what cardio exercise do you fancy doing?

walking is great as a starting point, and then there is about a million different things you could do, its all about finding something you enjoy.

also, doing some strength/resistance training is always good.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
  • claudiaedewis
    claudiaedewis Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm really not sure on what i like. I've tried the gym but i never go. okay i might start doing some walking just to get me out of the house and moving a bit! :)
  • BMsJourney
    BMsJourney Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    First thing first.. Welcome to MFP!

Exercise is not that difficult - walking is definitely a good place to start. You might want to consider some strength exercises as well, to ensure you are not loosing muscle mass. (Muscle weight = good, fat weight = bad). I think you will find a combination of cardio and strength will give the best results. (Personal opinion). Most importantly - Do something you enjoy!

What does your working day look like? I work in an office too, and have a standing desk - making sure I stand up for at least 50% of my day.
  • claudiaedewis
    Options
    yes, i struggle finding something i enjoy. Especially when i am tired after work. well I have my own office which I am at probably 95% of the time. so, i eat my lunch at my desk and everything, the only time i need to move would be to distribute things throughout the company or to make a hot drink. i live about an hour away so i leave the house at 7:30 and get back at around 6:30. so once ive eaten, im ready for bed! but i need to break that habit. and do more at weekends.
    what exercise do you enjoy? :)
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Exercise doesn't have to be done in a gym, you can do it in your own home or (my personal preference) outdoors.

You might find that once you start exercising (try everything, make it fun too...) you get more energy, it's easy to mix up mental tiredness with physical tiredness.

Also try and build more movement into your working day, take a break and walk, use the stairs etc. etc..
  • BMsJourney
    Options
    I'm addicted to running, and especially obstacle course racing (like the spartan races, although that series still haven't come to Norway). And I like pretty much all workouts, except the aerobic, zumba classes and the like..
    Guess I'm workout addict rather than a running addict really...
    I live in a rural town with lot of forest to explore, so I tend to spend a lot of time outdoors... and I'm an instructor at my gym...

I too have my own office, but I try to make as many errands as I can away from my desk :lol: Need to talk to a collegue? - walk over, rather than using the phone... Getting a hot drink? - Walk to the coffee machine in the opposite corner of the building. Park your car a little further away from the entrance.. and so on.
    Everyday activity matters more than you would think, especially if starting out as sedentary...
    Sometimes I eat while listening in on a phone conference, that way I can go for a walk during lunch... (Rude, I know, but hey.. :smirk: )

I find that food prepping helps too... Less time cooking - more time for activity. :sunglasses:
  • DaeNoMite
    DaeNoMite Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I personally train Muay Thai kickboxing which is a blast and it gets you in great shape. Add a little resistance training with compound movements and it gives you a great chiseled body
  • claudiaedewis
    Options
    oh, thats a really good idea, small changes make a massive difference I suppose. i will try all of that to see if it helps!

and i agree with mental vs physical tiredness. i just need to get myself moving more. i have already been a walk around the warehouse today instead of calling!
    :)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    yes, i struggle finding something i enjoy. Especially when i am tired after work. well I have my own office which I am at probably 95% of the time. so, i eat my lunch at my desk and everything, the only time i need to move would be to distribute things throughout the company or to make a hot drink. i live about an hour away so i leave the house at 7:30 and get back at around 6:30. so once ive eaten, im ready for bed! but i need to break that habit. and do more at weekends.
    what exercise do you enjoy? :)

exercise when you get home, before you eat. that way once you've cleared away your dinner things, you can sit down the the rest of the evening.
  • claudiaedewis
    Options
    yes thata good idea, i will try it thank you
  • Deviette
    Deviette Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    I always loathed going to a gym! I never had much motivation to actually go and get there.

Have you considered classes or sports? I find that the regular training times forces me to go out even if I'm feeling lazy. And training with the same people means you get a social benefit and makes you more excited to go and see those people too.

Personally I do judo on Monday evenings (although I didn't last night as I'm coming down with a nasty cold and instead slept on the sofa) and try and run wednesdays and fridays. Then I spent most of my saturday morning/afternoon doing judo (I teach and then train). I also very occasionally go indoor climbing (lots run climbing/bouldering clubs, but I only go with friends).

My biggest suggestion is to just go to as many things as possible. Many activities/sports have a cheap (sometimes free) initial trial period/ session. Go along and see if you enjoy it. If not, well, try something else
  • claudiaedewis
    Options
    i think i have got to the point, i feel quite embarrassed to go and do things. so when im tired and being lazy its easy for me to say oh I am not going! i used to go to the gym, but i was getting to the point where pulling into the gym car park made me want to cry! so i quit! but i like the idea of going to a class with friends, i suppose it will make it more enjoyable and will be able to have a laugh whilst doing it !
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    Options
    You have been given some great ideas. I will add yoga to the mix. Yoga can be very calming, aids with flexibility and increases your balance/core strength. Walking with yoga would be a great way to start out. You would be getting some cardio and ease into exercise. There are tons of options available online to allow you to workout at home. Eventually you might feel confident enough to join a gym and stick with it. Also, find ways to get up and move during the day. Even with a desk job, you can still find reasons to take a walk around the building.
  • BMsJourney
    Options
    Oh another thing...
    Although you've probably heard it before...
    Even if you feel like everyones looking and judging you at a gym - they're more than likely not. Most people have more than enough focusing on themselves and maybe their workout buddy.. In the case they do notice you, you can be pretty sure they're thinking something along the lines of "good for her", "impressed", "damn she works hard", "she sure looks determined"... So never ever let any negative thoughts get to you!

And as said above, you surely don't need a gym to workout!
  • shaf238
    shaf238 Posts: 4,021 Member
    Options
    Pick the things you enjoy doing!
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I walk on my morning, lunch and afternoon breaks. That gets me an hour of walking per day.
  • beatyfamily1
    beatyfamily1 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    It doesn’t matter what exercises you do. If you aren’t going to push yourself to do it you will never do it. I find it easier to get motivated by doing something smaller before I do my weight training. I break them up into small time frames so it’s easier to accomplish. I’ll do:

10 minutes HIIT battle ropes.
    10 minutes HIIT weighted step ups.
    10 minutes HIIT farmer carries with cinder blocks.
    10 minutes HIIT box jumping.
    40-60 minutes weight training program.
    15 minutes HIIT running on the treadmill.

You need to give yourself the initial push to get started. Break up whatever you are doing into smaller time frames. Once you have completed your first set it becomes easier to get motivated to do the next one.
  • claudiaedewis
    Options
    thank you for all the advice. im going to take it all on board, so i can stop making excuses! thanks again!!