Anyone starting again in the new year for the 100th time?

Options
Hi there. I'm female, 48, dieting and up and down all my life, now I need to lose about 5 kg again and it seems incredible I have to do it again. Just gained 2 kg over the Christmas break after lots of efforts losing them. I'm the kind of person who either diets or overeats- find it hard to control myself once I'm off the road. Anyone like that around?

Replies

• statickey
    statickey Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Hi, im sadly starting over again as well. I was able to lose about 60lb and kept it off for a few years and recently gained a majority of it back. Add me if you'd like!
  • jmjsf
    jmjsf Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Oops. I'm new and not sure how to add someone, can you help?
  • vickimcdonald73
    vickimcdonald73 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I am a human yo-yo, I lose weight then binge and gain it back REPEAT, REPEAT, REPEAT lol
    I don't know how to maintain... it seems as soon as I hit my goal I lose all self control.
    I'm hopeless 😜
  • jmjsf
    Options
    That's more or less what I do...
  • ckh825
    ckh825 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Yep!!! Fingers crossed this is my last ride on the roller coaster
  • petethegamermfp
    petethegamermfp Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I am on round two here. Lost 42lbs last time and have started a new profile for 2019 as want to lose at least 30lbs for my little gay summer wedding 😀
  • jeromeloresco05
    jeromeloresco05 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    yep for the 8 year in a row lol. But now I think I can be more consistent currently tweaking some stuff. I know if I give up food or drinks I take I will eventually give in so maybe i'll consume in moderation. No more all or nothing.
  • times60
    times60 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    That is me!!! starting the new year with a different outlook. Not dieting or depriving myself. I am going to make sure I portion control but if I feel like having something I just will.
    As long as it is in moderation.
  • hmaddpear
    hmaddpear Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Me! I lost almost 80lb back in 2013-14, but the weight has been creeping back, despite my trying to get back into it. I log back in around every 7-8 months for a month and then fall back off the wagon. I've gained back around 40lb of the initial 80lb I lost. :-(

But I'm determined to stick at it. False starts are better than no start at all.
  • cariwaldick
    cariwaldick Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I've done the diet thing several times in the past, and once even lost weight while I was pregnant--with doctor supervision. Intense diet and exercise plans don't work in the long run.

What does work is accountability, and lifelong changes. I've finally come to understand I will always be on a diet. I'm never going to be able to relax my vigilance. Science proves that once you've been fat--especially as a child--your body wants to get back to it. That doesn't mean it's impossible to lose and keep it off; it just means you can't reach your goal and quit.

For me, quitting means an early death. I'm still obese, even after losing over 70 lbs in 5 months. But I'm only borderline diabetic now, my blood pressure is controlled, my cholesterol is down, and I no longer have indications of heart and liver disease. I can go up and down steps without much pain. I haven't taken an antacid in months. I haven't had a headache since August, either. I'm almost healthy.

I get on here every day and log my food--all of it. Everyone in my family knows my calorie limitations. I don't eat unless I know the calorie content or can make a close guess. This is a lifelong plan, and it's easy now that I'm in the habit. At this rate, by August I should be a nice, normal weight. Once I meet my goal I won't give up.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    The key is to take some time to figure out a way to eat and exercise that will keep you at a healthy weight for the rest of your life. Many people go on a "diet" that they don't enjoy and exercise more than they will ever want to in order to just get the weight off and get back to life. And that tends to create the yo-yo cycle.

Log accurately and consistently. Pick a modest weekly goal, not the most aggressive available. Eat foods you like, but get out the food scale and learn what a serving that fits in your calories really looks like. Note how you feel in the notes section. Learn from your log and start tweaking. Do exercise you could see yourself doing forever, even if it's just walking. It might take you twice as long to lose the weight, but you'll have a much better chance of keeping it off.

Check out the Most Helpful Posts threads pinned to the top of each forum. Good luck!
  • Iseulte
    Iseulte Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I'm the same. Two years ago I lost 25 pounds and right when I was finally at a healthy BMI I just gave up and went back to my old ways. I an turning 50 this year and don't want to go into the second half of my life carrying this excess weight.
  • jmjsf
    Options
    Thanks for your replies. I don't know if this happens to you as well but I just don't believe myself when I say this time will be the good time. I have good habits and know what to eat and what not to eat (except I overindulge in wine) but just can't help feeling that I've spoilt it all whenever I eat something I shouldn't. That's how I gained 2 kg in 2 holiday weeks- by saying ok,I'll start again next Monday. Does this happen to you too?
  • LotusCass
    LotusCass Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I am a human yo-yo, I lose weight then binge and gain it back REPEAT, REPEAT, REPEAT lol
    I don't know how to maintain... it seems as soon as I hit my goal I lose all self control.
    I'm hopeless 😜

This is me! My main goal this time is maintenance. I know I can lose, once I’m there I have to focus on maintaining and not sure of the best way to do that for me yet.