5000 steps/day

priyarb
priyarb Posts: 1 Member
Need to complete 5000 steps in a day. Walk 2.2 miles = 3.5 km

Replies

• MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Really? Do drive most places?

I used to take an exercise class which was 10,000 steps alone. I'd walk a mile and a quarter each way, plus I'd often go back at night for another class. This, on top of working full time and commuting. I got many times 10,000 steps just from regular life.

Are you sure you're computing it correctly?
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    I am not capable of getting 10k steps in an hour, and I doubt most people are. That would be equivalent to dancing to 180 beats per minute (generally considered fast) for an hour straight. That is considered highly efficient for runners.

OP, how much are you walking now? Add 500-1000 to that until you are being consistent at the higher number.

Some ideas:
    -walk around the block before work
    -walk around the plaza before doing your shopping
    -find a pleasant places to walk; it makes all the difference!
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    one thing i found for me when i tend to get busy at work - is top of every hour take a 5 minute walk around the building (drinking water so you have to go the bathroom can help to expedite that); i also park as far back in parking lots as possible so i have to walk in etc
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Really? Do drive most places?

I used to take an exercise class which was 10,000 steps alone. I'd walk a mile and a quarter each way, plus I'd often go back at night for another class. This, on top of working full time and commuting. I got many times 10,000 steps just from regular life.

Are you sure you're computing it correctly?

With a desk job, I have to actively try to get more than about 5,000 steps in a day, and for someone who's very sedentary it's a good start. Also, there are a lot of places where walking everywhere really isn't an option...I live in urban sprawl where public transportation might as well be non existent and you're not going to get to too many places walking. My deliberate exercise is also not step based as I am an avid cycling enthusiast.

On a very good day I might hit 10,000 steps...on a reasonably good day I get around 8,000. On most days I'm closer to 6,000.
  • maryerline
    maryerline Posts: 72 Member
    I like this goal. I’m mostly sedentary apart from my workouts and as I mostly do strength training I don’t get in tons of steps. I’ll be doing this challenge starting today.