1000 calories per meal?! (Weight loss)

Options
Hey friends , so I recently I found this app for healthy eating and I was thinking of ordering their foods till I shed a lot of kgs but just when I was about to order I saw their calories level and I jumped omg . There’s a meal for 1000 calories and my daily requirements are 1900. I’m so curious on how eating 1000 calories per meal will actually make you lose weight . I’m afraid of making wrong decisions again. Help me out . Is this healthy and their macros are so high. 9yf3tndesuk5.png

Replies

• jesspen91
    jesspen91 Posts: 1,383 Member
    Options
    I guess it depends how much you've exercised that day and what else you've eaten. It seems like it's just a big portion from the picture. Is this takeout or one of those subscription services where they send you the ingredients and you cook it?
  • Stockholm_Andy
    Stockholm_Andy Posts: 803 Member
    Options
    IF the rest of your calories for the day come in at less than 900Kcals in total (assuming that 1900 is your goal to lose) then yes you could lose weight and still eat that meal.

It all depends how you like to eat though. My evening meals are often 700-1000 Kcals but I eat a very light lunch and breakfast when I'm cutting (losing) and I don't feel the need/desire to snack.

Other people like to spread things out more.

At the end of the day how you split up your calories is up to you. However, to lose weight you need to eat less than you burn.

Good Luck.
  • UmaMageswarymfp
    UmaMageswarymfp Posts: 280 Member
    Options

No they prepare it and it’s like fine dine kinda meal. The portions are pretty small
    jesspen91 wrote: »
    I guess it depends how much you've exercised that day and what else you've eaten. It seems like it's just a big portion from the picture. Is this takeout or one of those subscription services where they send you the ingredients and you cook it?

• UmaMageswarymfp
    Options
    IF the rest of your calories for the day come in at less than 900Kcals in total (assuming that 1900 is your goal to lose) then yes you could lose weight and still eat that meal.

It all depends how you like to eat though. My evening meals are often 700-1000 Kcals but I eat a very light lunch and breakfast when I'm cutting (losing) and I don't feel the need/desire to snack.

At the end of the day how you split up your calories is up to you. However, to lose weight you need to eat less than you burn.

Good Luck.

But meal wise do you think it’s healthy enough ?
  • Stockholm_Andy
    Options

Good Luck.

Healthy is a very subjective word. For weight loss all that really counts is that you eat less calories than you need. So in theory you could lose weight eating nothing but 1900Kcals of Pisang Goreng per day >:)

However, you may find it difficult to stay under your goal eating nothing but those delicious fried banana's and it would be that balanced.

To me it looks pretty balance especially with those veggies in the top of the picture. The two real questions are can you fit this into your diet with the rest of your meals? and is this something you'd enjoy eating to make it sustainable?

How/what do you eat right now?
  • UmaMageswarymfp
    Options

Good Luck.

Healthy is a very subjective word. For weight loss all that really counts is that you eat less calories than you need. So in theory you could lose weight eating nothing but 1900Kcals of Pisang Goreng per day >:)

However, you may find it difficult to stay under your goal eating nothing but those delicious fried banana's and it would be that balanced.

To me it looks pretty balance especially with those veggies in the top of the picture. The two real questions are can you fit this into your diet with the rest of your meals? and is this something you'd enjoy eating to make it sustainable?

Omg it’s so cool how you referenced Pisang Goreng and to be honest I’m so used to eating Asian aka Malaysian foods like curry and Dahl and so on . The app’s food taste so western and new and unseasoned so I usually force myself to eat it . It just seems accurate and healthy . Healthy foods taste horrible 😫. I don’t enjoy eating it but I’m left with no option since my mom doesn’t measure calories or the macros. I want the calories to be accurate so that I don’t over eat.
  • 23rochelle23
    23rochelle23 Posts: 269 Member
    Options

Good Luck.

Omg it’s so cool how you referenced Pisang Goreng and to be honest I’m so used to eating Asian aka Malaysian foods like curry and Dahl and so on . The app’s food taste so western and new and unseasoned so I usually force myself to eat it . It just seems accurate and healthy . Healthy foods taste horrible 😫. I don’t enjoy eating it but I’m left with no option since my mom doesn’t measure calories or the macros. I want the calories to be accurate so that I don’t over eat.

Rather than eating food you don’t enjoy why don’t you work on reducing your portion sizes of food that you love and normally eat?
    Get a smaller plate, load up with the lower calorie options (more veggies than rice - more rice than curry etc) and see how you get on? Or skip one meal a day if that suits how you like to eat (but keep your other meals the same) or cut out drinks with calories, or stop snacking - whatever works for you

While counting calories is great and works for lots of people (myself included) you don’t actually need to do so for weight loss - just reduce what you eat (and move more if you’re that way inclined). Even keeping proportions the same but reducing your intake of food by 10-25% (make a normal plate and leave some behind) will work to start! Then if/when you stall (for more than six weeks) you can reduce more or start swapping out your choices for things like cauliflower rice. When you reach your goal weight just add in a little food and use trial and error of how much you eat to find a way to maintain
  • Stockholm_Andy
    Options

Good Luck.

:) I've been to Malaysia several times and really loved it. The food is really good in Malaysia and much underrated in much of the rest of the world. However, it is for the most part pretty high in calories Rendang (Oh my god I'd kill for a plate of this right now), Ayam Goreng someone even told me Nasi Lemak means something like fattening rice :D

However, like others have said "healthy" food doesn't have to be bland and boring with no taste. In fact the spices have very few calories themselves. I'm currently cutting (losing) myself and last night I had a very tasty lamb curry.

In your specific situation I could suggest a few ideas. Ask your Mom for her recipes for the food she regularly cooks at home. You could save them on here as a recipe. Then when she cooks it weight out your portion and see how many calories it is. Perhaps you'll need a smaller portion than usual, or less side dishes or maybe less or plain rice.

Also think about what you eat the rest of the day? Maybe lighter and/or small breakfasts and lunches will leave room for Moms tasty Dahl.

Keep reading and keep learning but don't give up on taste. Good Luck
  • UmaMageswarymfp
    Options

Good Luck.

:) I've been to Malaysia several times and really loved it. The food is really good in Malaysia and much underrated in much of the rest of the world. However, it is for the most part pretty high in calories Rendang (Oh my god I'd kill for a plate of this right now), Ayam Goreng someone even told me Nasi Lemak means something like fattening rice :D

However, like others have said "healthy" food doesn't have to be bland and boring with no taste. In fact the spices have very few calories themselves. I'm currently cutting (losing) myself and last night I had a very tasty lamb curry.

In your specific situation I could suggest a few ideas. Ask your Mom for her recipes for the food she regularly cooks at home. You could save them on here as a recipe. Then when she cooks it weight out your portion and see how many calories it is. Perhaps you'll need a smaller portion than usual, or less side dishes or maybe less or plain rice.

Also think about what you eat the rest of the day? Maybe lighter and/or small breakfasts and lunches will leave room for Moms tasty Dahl.

Keep reading and keep learning but don't give up on taste. Good Luck

Omg this was a good read and oddly made me feel so relived . Thank you so much for this info. I will try reducing portions and eating less for breakfast 💜
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    ... how in the world is that 1100 calories? It must be a VERY big piece of chicken. Also, 104g of carbs in that is just.. odd. That amount of chickpeas and veggies should not be that many carbs.

I would contact whoever is offering that meal and ask for more specifics. Something doesn't add up. Other than that, these are definitely healthy ingredients. But remember that weight loss is about calories, so eating too many calories of healthy foods is not going to help you.

For what it's worth, I can definitely fit a 1000 calorie meal in my calories if I'm active enough.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    ... how in the world is that 1100 calories? It must be a VERY big piece of chicken. Also, 104g of carbs in that is just.. odd. That amount of chickpeas and veggies should not be that many carbs.

I would contact whoever is offering that meal and ask for more specifics. Something doesn't add up. Other than that, these are definitely healthy ingredients. But remember that weight loss is about calories, so eating too many calories of healthy foods is not going to help you.

For what it's worth, I can definitely fit a 1000 calorie meal in my calories if I'm active enough.

I did wonder how it could be low carb with over 100g of carbs...
  • UmaMageswarymfp
    Options

Omg see I have no idea about macros and how big a portion should look like but when they stated it like that I immediately thought it’s a small meal with 1000 calories even I am shook because it looks super healthy how come it’s 1000 calorie. I will contact them tmr
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    save your money and buy your own groceries and eat what you like in smaller portions. no need to pay out the wazoo for some program that promises low carb and so on when that pic proves its not low carb,. sounds like they are rying to con people out of their money to me
  • Francl27
    Options

Omg see I have no idea about macros and how big a portion should look like but when they stated it like that I immediately thought it’s a small meal with 1000 calories even I am shook because it looks super healthy how come it’s 1000 calorie. I will contact them tmr

Well, a lot of healthy things are high calories (like nuts, oil etc). But in this case, it just makes absolutely no sense... chicken is low cal, chick peas and olives are not bad, and it's not like the veggies are adding many calories either. Of course with the 46g of fat, well, considering that none of the ingredients really has a lot, there might be a lot of oil in there. Still doesn't explain the 100g of carbs.

Honestly, I'd stay away from that company, lol.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    I’m guessing that is more than one serving (probably 2-maybe 3) and the nutritional info listed is for the entire thing (which you would then divide into the appropriate number of servings).

Without checking anything or knowing exactly what they are using...that sounds like about 10-12 Oz or chicken, a full can of chickpeas and oil and whatever else. That would be ~350-400 cal for chicken, the same for the chickpeas, a couple hundred for oil & herbs and things. That’s about right for the macro counts too (totally doing guesstimated math in my head). It just looks like the info for 2 servings rather than one.

But chickpeas are not really low carb by any definition.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i could easily eat 1000 calorie meal.

its a rarity now LOL

but i could still do it. my husband doesnt believe me. im like dude... you have NO idea LOLOL

anyways, i dont eat diet food or special food. i eat what i like, and make it fit in my calories. i log the recipes and the calories and work from there. i usually build my day around dinner, since thats typically my largest meal
  • UmaMageswarymfp
    Options
    save your money and buy your own groceries and eat what you like in smaller portions. no need to pay out the wazoo for some program that promises low carb and so on when that pic proves its not low carb,. sounds like they are rying to con people out of their money to me

Omg I’m going to contact them about this now and I’ll update you about the calories

• UmaMageswarymfp
    Options
    I’m guessing that is more than one serving (probably 2-maybe 3) and the nutritional info listed is for the entire thing (which you would then divide into the appropriate number of servings).

Without checking anything or knowing exactly what they are using...that sounds like about 10-12 Oz or chicken, a full can of chickpeas and oil and whatever else. That would be ~350-400 cal for chicken, the same for the chickpeas, a couple hundred for oil & herbs and things. That’s about right for the macro counts too (totally doing guesstimated math in my head). It just looks like the info for 2 servings rather than one.

But chickpeas are not really low carb by any definition.

I ordered it before and their chicken breast is really thick and a lot. Other than that the veggies are so less . I’m going to contact them about this and update you with the accurate info hahaha
  • UmaMageswarymfp
    Options

its a rarity now LOL

but i could still do it. my husband doesnt believe me. im like dude... you have NO idea LOLOL

anyways, i dont eat diet food or special food. i eat what i like, and make it fit in my calories. i log the recipes and the calories and work from there. i usually build my day around dinner, since thats typically my largest meal

Me too but it’s crazy and I’m worried of overeating and not losing weight
  • Francl27
    edited January 2019
    Options

its a rarity now LOL

Me too but it’s crazy and I’m worried of overeating and not losing weight

Gosh, I could eat 3000 calories in a meal. Easy. French fries and dessert and you have over 1000 calories right there.

OP, it really helps to plan your days and figure out when you are the most hungry. I know that if I plan a bigger dinner, I'll end up being over on calories that day because I'm hungrier during the day and it's very hard for me to save calories for dinner. But if I have an early lunch (11-12pm or something), I can have even 1400 calories and still be fine for the rest of the day (I typically won't be very hungry for dinner). Obviously... still got to make better choices, but I've had 1400 calorie brunches (typical eggs-toast-potatoes-sasuage) and still made my goal with no issue. It definitely wouldn't be the case with 1400 calories of pancakes though...

Again, the more active you are, the easier it is to fit more food!