Eating within 30 minutes of waking--fact or fiction

Options
My question is rather simple..I have heard so many people say that you have to eat within 30 minutes of waking to jump start your metabolism for the day. On the other hand, I have read that you should eat only when you are hungry. So which one is right?

I get up at 5:30 each morning have a cup of what my husband calls fruu fruu coffee (1 cup milk, 1 cup cold brew and sugar free salted caramel syrup, but I am usually not hungry until 8:00 so that is when I have been eating my breakfast.

Just trying to figure things out.

Replies

• Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Meal timing is personal preference
  • Bobble11
    Bobble11 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Never heard that advice before. Eat breakfast when you feel like you want to. The only meal timing advice I believe works for me is not eating too close to bedtime. Give my body a chance to digest before sleep. Otherwise, eat when you're hungry.
  • zeejane03
    zeejane03 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    Not based on fact, meal timing and meal frequency comes down to personal preference. There's lots of people who do well with IF/OMAD and don't eat until much later in the day and are hitting their diet and fitness goals.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Your metabolism doesn't shut down at night if you're not dead, so it doesn't need kickstarting in the morning. Eat breakfast whenever you want, or don't eat it at all if you're not a breakfast person.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Fiction
  • Teabythesea_
    Teabythesea_ Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Your body doesn’t need a “kickstart.” The lack of trust that some people have in their body’s ability to perform the same tasks it’s been doing their whole life is astounding.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Anything that tells you you need to jump start your metabolism is fiction.
    Meal timing is preference.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    I'm curious how many people actually think their metabolism stops functioning entirely overnight.

I feel like this is one of those words that some people can pick on and take a bit too literal.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    My highest blood sugar numbers are before breakfast, due to the “dawn phenomenon” where my enthusiastic liver dumps glycogen directly in to my blood stream.

No kick start needed!

Bodies are amazing.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    100% fiction. Your metabolism doesn't stop or "sleep" when you do.
    Also, metabolism has nothing to do with digestion. If you're alive and your body is functioning, it is metabolizing.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Your metabolism isn’t a battery and doesn’t need a jump start. It’s happening all the time without you needing to do anything special to make it work. If your metabolism stopped, you would be dead.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Even if it were true, a cup of milk is indeed breaking your fast.

But it isn't true.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Your metabolism doesn't need "jump started"...it's not a car battery. Your metabolism is working 24/7.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Ficton.

And coffee can be an appetite suppressant for me, not hungry till way later in the morning. Drink your coffee and eat your breakfast at what ever times work best for you.
  • JustaJoe00
    JustaJoe00 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    General rule is that 95% of the talk about metabolism is complete twaddle including "jump starting".
    While you are alive your metabolism is running.

If you aren't hungry first thing then eat later when you are.

And the myth that breakfast is "the most important meal of the day" came from people trying to sell their breakfast cereals.

Growing up i was convinced of that breakfast idea. its taken me years to out grow that habit. I notice now if i have breakfast i want to eat more all day.