When is the best time to take protein shake?

Options
I know it might be a simple question but whenever I read stuff online, there’s always different sources specifically provoking a timebase to take it so my question is when is the best time to take it? When I mean the best time, I mean in a way that it’s the most efficient for muscle repair/growth.

If that is the case, may you also explain why that is the most efficient way?

I’ve also read something that you can take it anytime in the day as long as you take it.

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Danp wrote: »
    I was under the impression that timing your protein was bro-science and that it doesn't really matter.

That said I usually have a shake right after a session but that's less to do with getting protein and more that I'm always really hungry afterwards and a shake is the quickest/easiest/safest option.

This pretty much exactly what I was going to type.
  • Anniebotnen
    Anniebotnen Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    The latest research I’ve read says that as long as you take in some protein within a couple of hours of your workout (before or after) you’ll be fine, total protein intake is what matters most.
  • mywayroche
    mywayroche Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Millions of years of evolution Vs bro science. Trust your body, it doesn't need to be micro managed
  • funjen1972
    funjen1972 Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    The best time is when you want a protein shake 😁
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    q0cexskh7tzm.png

See where timing falls.

This^

PS: Lol that someone woo'd this.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    When you're hungry...
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    Basically what everyone said, timing is not that important for majority of people
  • aortegasep
    aortegasep Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes are more of a convenience/practicity thing.
    I always have one at breakfast (with a many other stuff) cause its easier and faster for me to put all on a blender and drink it, than cook in the morning.
    Just be aware when using them as meal substitutions, as the shake needs to have more stuff (nutrients and calories) than just whey and water.
    Look for them as convinient protein packed ready to cover your needs during the day.
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    Options
    aortegasep wrote: »
    Protein shakes are more of a convenience/practicity thing.
    I always have one at breakfast (with a many other stuff) cause its easier and faster for me to put all on a blender and drink it, than cook in the morning.
    Just be aware when using them as meal substitutions, as the shake needs to have more stuff (nutrients and calories) than just whey and water.
    Look for them as convinient protein packed ready to cover your needs during the day.

I have both. I have a protein powder that I use for stuff like afternoon snack or after a workout session and I also have a breakfast powder that has a whole lot of other ingredients and nutrients that I use for a Q&E breakfast when I'm in a rush.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Honestly, protein shakes aren't really necessary at all. I use them from time to time because I do find them helpful to balance my macros for saiety. As for timing, it really becomes a matter of personal preference and what you can tolerate. It doesn't really matter otherwise.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    Is this a trick question? ... When you need protein and for some reason you don't want to or can't get it from food or drink?
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »
    q0cexskh7tzm.png

See where timing falls.

This^

PS: Lol that someone woo'd this.

What does Eric Helms know about nutrition and training anyway?

Apart from having a "BS in fitness and wellness, an MS in exercise science, a second masters in sports nutrition, a PhD in strength and conditioning, and is a research fellow for AUT at the Sports Performance Research Institute New Zealand" and being a successful physique and strength competitor.

OP - yes there may be tiny advantages in timing some of your daily protein intake around your workouts which is obviously of interest to high end athletes looking for every scrap of advantage. It's also not likely to be a disadvantage if it fits in your eating schedule.
    But for "normal people" doing "normal workouts" it's really low down the list of priorities. (Don't bother eating like a champ if you are training like a chump!)

Here's a very long research review from two other experts (Alan Aragon & Brad Schoenfeld), skipping to "practical applications" part gives you some recommendations. If you plough through the whole article you can see how varied and sometimes contradictory the various study results are. It's entirely possible to build a seemingly convincing case by cherry picking studies that support a particular view and ignoring those that conflict with that view.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3577439/