Aaaand This Is Why I Hate Arizona..............!!! [pix]

Options
McKayMachina
McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
Actually, it's more that there's nothing to DO in this state...but this sure doesn't help.

Warning NIGHTMARISHLY ENORMOUS ARACHNIDS BELOW!

V

V

V

V

V

V

V

V

V

V

V

V

I'M NOT EFFING KIDDING! This is your last chance to turn back!

V

V

V

V

V

V

V

V

V

oEhrE.jpg

HAJwo.jpg

These are called desert hairies and my brother found them last night at our grandfathers place in the San Tan Mountains. They are quick, too. The ones you see here are EASILY twice as big as any I've ever seen and I've seen scorpions almost daily here, been stuck 8 or 10 times. The bark scorpions (circled in the black light pic, about 2x the length of a bottle cap) are the norm. These desert hairies are nightmarish. I am NEVER going into the desert in the dark ever again. ::shudder::

Replies

• Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    why.gif
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    Why didn't I listen to your warning?
  • ohwhataday
    ohwhataday Posts: 1,398 Member
    Options
    More fun than hanging out in corn fields. so there!
  • Jenscan
    Jenscan Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I hate scorpions. We have them in OK too but they're not as frighteningly huge. OMG. I'd croak.
  • ShaoonaRae
    ShaoonaRae Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I think they're adorable, actually. I wouldn't want to live in a place where I have to check my shoes for them though. :|
  • methetree
    methetree Posts: 381
    Options
    Dang! I have been fortunate not to run into any of these lovelies although the thought of it scares the crap outta me. I specifically asked about the scorpion issues when I moved into this apartment. Thankfully there aren't many here.

I have to be careful because of the little one. My mom doesn't have them, but my Aunt (who has lived in her house 9 years without one issue) has a neighbor who redid their whole yard and they came in with the new plants so she has them now.

Ugh. I HATE the bugs here. Can't wait to go home to Oregon where you don't have to worry about the cockroaches and scorpions.... some of them big enough to carry off my dog!
  • staceyseeger
    staceyseeger Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    Ugh! Those give me the heebie-jeebies! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • elbandito
    elbandito Posts: 157
    Options
    Awesome! I'm totally going to the Arizona desert in the dark when I visit the US!

We have the Weta as our nocturnal scary mofo http://www.kedgley.school.nz/Kedgley/animalsite/Weta/DOCS/coverpic.jpg

They look about on par

(seriously though: The Weta is harmless although ferocious looking. Your things look badass!)
  • MomsDumpling
    MomsDumpling Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    EEWWWWWW!!!! I killed one on our front porch yesterday that I thought was huge but yours make ours look like babies!
  • Dtho5159
    Dtho5159 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    Ick... Heebie Jeebie time!!
  • Jennyisbusy
    Jennyisbusy Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    We have scorpions in GA too. (smaller)
    Wanna hear a bad story? Ok I changed into ugly clothes and mowed the lawn -when I got done I took a shower and then pulled on the shorts that I had on before the mowing and BLAMO a scorpion sting about an inch from my bullseye, technically on my leg but by the time the swelling kicked in the doctor was afraid I would not be able to pee.

It's been 7 years and I feel dizzy thinking about it.
  • karhaz123
    Options
    Hahaha. I live in New Mexico and I found a huggge scorpion dead on my kitchen floor the other day! I guess my cats had killed it. The only thing I could think was "I'm glad that is dead."
  • eelamme
    eelamme Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    My fiance found one in his bed the other day. Granted it was the common bark one but scray and gross none the less!
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    We have scorpions in GA too. (smaller)

OH GAH DAMMAHT! I'm moving to GA in a month!

GRRR...

:laugh:

Well, at least they are smaller!

Also, @SHANE: Those look like demon babies. NO LIKEY! ::runs::
  • AshDHart
    AshDHart Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Hahaha. I live in New Mexico and I found a huggge scorpion dead on my kitchen floor the other day! I guess my cats had killed it. The only thing I could think was "I'm glad that is dead."

In NM too. We kept finding them in the laundry bag. Pulled a towel out once and a scorpion went flying onto the bed. I hate the damn things!
  • brewingaz
    brewingaz Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    So much hate for Arizona. I just hate our summers. Scorpions, I don't mind them. Except when one of those little f*ckers stung me about a month ago.
  • yanicka
    yanicka Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Scorpions........snow 7 months out of 12.......Scorpions........snow 7 months out of 12.....Scorpions........snow 7 months out of 12

I will take the snow thank you very much
  • angiolm
    angiolm Posts: 52
    Options

In NM too. We kept finding them in the laundry bag. Pulled a towel out once and a scorpion went flying onto the bed. I hate the damn things!

Holy Geebies! I live in Canada and thankfully those critters hate the cold. That is freaky! I'm going to have the nightmare jumpies tonight. Yikes.
  • angiolm
    angiolm Posts: 52
    Options
    Scorpions........snow 7 months out of 12.......Scorpions........snow 7 months out of 12.....Scorpions........snow 7 months out of 12

I will take the snow thank you very much

LOL! Me too!!!
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    Sweet hell, why in the *kitten* did I scroll down to witness this??? :indifferent: