Metallic taste in mouth?

Options
For the past few days I’ve had a really weird, persistent metallic taste in my mouth. I haven’t been eating very much for the past few days - would they possibly be related? Has anyone else dealt with this? It’s not horrible but it’s definitely unusual.

Replies

• Tankiscool
    Tankiscool Posts: 11,105 Member
    Options
    Could be a number of things. Any new prescription drugs you've been put on? Could just be a side affect of that.
  • 171lake
    171lake Posts: 894 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Have you have any thing with pine nuts in it? Pine Mouth gives a metallic taste for 1-2 weeks
  • amlw17
    amlw17 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I don’t mean to alarm you! But is there a chance you’re pregnant? It’s a common symptom in early pregnancy.
  • camilledaisy
    camilledaisy Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I often get a metallic taste in my mouth when I have a sinus infection. It maybe worth a drs visit if it doesn’t clear up. Hope it resolves quickly!
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Why have you not been eating? If you've had a cold or other sinus issues, sometimes that can cause a metallic taste.

If you are following a keto diet, some people experience a metallic taste when they're in ketosis. I will let the keto folks here talk more about that if it's relevant to you.

Are you taking any supplements? Supplements that contain metals (which we definitely need...think iron, zinc, etc.) can cause this.

Have you had any dental problems recently? Some dental issues can cause this as well.

And yes...if it's possible you could be pregnant, then that's another possible cause. (And that can also cause nausea or a lack of appetite, if those things are why you haven't been eating...)

If this continues, I would see a doctor about it. There are various things that it could be and we can't do much other than offer suggestions.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    What is ‘not eaten very much the last few days’?
    And why?
    Are you eating low carb or Keto? This can sometimes cause bad breath and you may be tasting it.

Try upping your calories to a reasonable level, 1200 for a woman, 1500 for a man, minimum.

If the symptoms persist once you are eating enough, see a doctor.

Cheers, h.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    No chance I’m pregnant. I’ve been netting around 500 calories for the last week... it’s bad, I know. I just keep forgetting to eat

Start eating properly and see if it goes away.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Eat.

See your doctor if it doesn’t go away, or if you don’t want to eat.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    No chance I’m pregnant. I’ve been netting around 500 calories for the last week... it’s bad, I know. I just keep forgetting to eat

Set a reminder to remind yourself to eat. Treat it as medicine.

Would you just "forget" to take a dose of medicine that was keeping you alive?

See your doctor or a dietitian if you decide that you don't want to eat.
  • KBClimber
    KBClimber Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I used to get this from certain kinds of sugar substitutes. If you are eating a lot of things with Xylitol or stevia it might be from that.
  • erjones11
    erjones11 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Hi- You may want to investigate a cavity on a tooth or an old filling in a tooth leaking. Even if you don't have oral pain.
    For the past few days I’ve had a really weird, persistent metallic taste in my mouth. I haven’t been eating very much for the past few days - would they possibly be related? Has anyone else dealt with this? It’s not horrible but it’s definitely unusual.

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Since you aren't eating, you are probably getting the byproduct from ketone production. IIRC, acetone is a byproduct of ketosis. But its been a few years since i have researched the reasoning.

It's very common with keto and fasting diets
  • peggy_polenta
    peggy_polenta Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    ketosis totally normal and will go away in a couple weeks