Weight Gain instead of loss

Options
Any tips on how to actually lose weight while using this app? I am eating at or below the calorie counts they suggest, going to the gym four days a week, elliptical and weights and my weight is increasing? I do have thyroid disease and PCOS and they recently lowered my Synthroid dosage and stopped the Metformin, I wonder if that has something to do with it? Any tips or thoughts are greatly appreciated!

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Over what time period have you gained weight? In general, a woman who has not lost weight over the length of one menstrual cycle (i.e., from one period to the next), or 6 weeks if you don't have a cycle, is not eating in a deficit and would need to drop calories in order to lose weight.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Is the exercise new to you? New workouts will cause your muscles to retain water for repair. This water shows up on the scale as a gain. Review that chart above, and act accordingly.
  • mburgess458
    mburgess458 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    JMR010805 wrote: »
    Any tips on how to actually lose weight while using this app? I am eating at or below the calorie counts they suggest, going to the gym four days a week, elliptical and weights and my weight is increasing? I do have thyroid disease and PCOS and they recently lowered my Synthroid dosage and stopped the Metformin, I wonder if that has something to do with it? Any tips or thoughts are greatly appreciated!

The recommended calories the app gives you are an estimate for the average person of your age/height/weight/activity level. Given your thyroid disease and PCOS you very well may need to tweak the standard MFP calorie figures. I would recommend religiously tracking your calories over a month or so while also tracking your weight. Your weight will bounce around due to many factors, that's why you'll need to track your weight over a longish time frame. If you aren't losing the way you want just decrease calories eaten and continue tracking everything... and repeat the tweaks until you find the right calorie level for you.
  • netitheyeti
    netitheyeti Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    In addition to PCOS and thyroid issues, I wonder if some of the machines are inaccurate when giving you "calories burned".. it could be that they're a few hundred calories off and making you overestimate how much you can eat to maintain a deficit
  • musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Are you actually weighing your food on a food scale to be sure of taking in the right number of calories?
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    If you just started doing this amount of exercise, then you are most likely retaining additional water. This is a normal part of the muscle repair process that happens when you increase you activity level.

Everyone's weight fluctuates a few pounds up and down every day. This is caused by all sorts of things--hydration, hormonal cycles, amount of food in your digestive tract, etc. Any of those things can make the scale go up. If you have a menstrual cycle and happened to start tracking your weight at a particular time of the month, for example, that may be reflected on the scale.

Depending on how long you've been eating within your calorie goal, it may also be too soon to see any fat loss.