Looking for whey protein powder recommendations.

Options
Hello, my trainer has suggested adding a whey protein powder to my daily food intake, mainly to assist with weight loss. Are they all basically the same?

Replies

• duskyjewel
    duskyjewel Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    My husband and I regularly have RSP Truefit for breakfast. I mix mine with unsweetened almond milk for extra calcium, he just uses water. The chocolate and cinnamon flavors are the best, the vanilla is okay but not great. Best price I've found for it is on bodybuilding.com.

What we like about it is that it includes a veggie blend for fiber and minerals along with probiotics with the whey protein. It's a pretty balanced way to drink your breakfast, which we both find an easy way to keep calories down early in the day. We both like to have a lot of calories left for dinner.
  • SpicyWater
    SpicyWater Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I like Premier Protein shakes - the premade shakes are better than the powder but more expensive.
    I've seen a lot of people really enjoy My Protein (you can find it on Google.) There's a lot of flavors and it's really cheap.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I use ON whey isolate chocolate. Note that whey and other protein powders are just a supplement to help you hit protein targets...it doesn't really do anything in and of itself to help with weight loss. It's no different than just eating more chicken or whatever.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    I wouldn't say they are basically the same, though you could get some of the same benefits on average.

Of course, you could just eat 5oz of chicken breast and get a similar benefits of some of the optimal ones. Some people prefer to drink and some prefer to eat their calories. It really is just preference and neither is superior. Other than what will help you comply to your caloric goal.

You will not lose weight from consuming a protein shake alone. You would still have to be eating in a deficit on average.

I chose to supplement with Equate whey protein I buy from Walmart. Its the cheapest I've found per serving while still including the optimal amount of 3-4g of leucine. 3-4g of leucine has shown to maximize muscle protein synthesis. MPS cannot take place without the branched-chain amino acid.

It sounds like what you need if you plan on losing weight if you chose to drink some of your calories and you want to retain as much muscle as possible.

If you do chose to try, check for the recommended leucine amount and if its has isoleucine and valine as well.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    I am currently eating Nitro Tech Whey Gold in double rich chocolate flavor. It has a malty taste that I enjoy. However, as others have said, protein powder does nothing for weight loss. You only need to eat it if you enjoy it and it helps you meet your protein goal.
  • JaxxieKat
    JaxxieKat Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    It depends on your goals. If the goal is to get in some good protein without a ton of calories and feel satiated, then my pick is Quest. I love the flavor. If you have more targeted macros, you'll want to visit a nutritional supplement shop and ask a knowledgeable staff member. They can usually make some good suggestions.
  • Mike1804
    Mike1804 Posts: 114 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    My former trainer got me hooked on Dymatize Elite Whey
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I get whey protein isolate and make my own concoctions. But I don’t lose weight from it.

I think the prepared powders taste different, and people’s tastes are different too. Try a few so don’t buy a big tub of anything and definitely don’t get the brand recommended by your trainer.

People need a minimum protein amount for health and muscle repair. The body doesn’t care where you get it. And you don’t get any benefit from extra protein over what your body needs.
  • jesspen91
    jesspen91 Posts: 1,383 Member
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition and Gold Standard are my favourites. When researching I basically divided calories by protein to see what gave me the best bang for my buck. Some brands will pack their powders with sugar so not all are created equal.