Eating more cals on training days?

Options
Hi all. I have my cals set at around 1500 (female, 5'5 126lb) and I am finding that easy to manage. However I am getting back into weight training and have found on training days I am ravenous! I am not eating back exercise cals through MFP but do any experts know if it is acceptable to increase to say 1750 on days I am strength training? My goals are to gain muscle and lose some fat. Thanks!

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Why are you not eating back exercise calories? That's how MFP is designed
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Why not just simplify things and eat back exercise calories? If your calorie goal is coming from MFP, it was given to you under the assumption you'd be eating back exercise calories.
  • Smacfit_
    Smacfit_ Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Why not just simplify things and eat back exercise calories? If your calorie goal is coming from MFP, it was given to you under the assumption you'd be eating back exercise calories.

No it is not from MFP! Its custom (with macros)
  • Smacfit_
    Options

• kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    Does your custom goal include exercise calories?
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    smacyhz wrote: »

Well you have 2 choices then, stick with your custom cals and macros and be hungry, or eat more.

You might want to look into recomp given your goals.
  • Smacfit_
    Options
    kami3006 wrote: »
    kami3006 wrote: »
    I'm not sure 😂😂😂😂 did it on IIFYM website. I am not a newbie exerciser but I am a newbie cal and macro tracker
    Excuse my ignorance 😅
  • janejellyroll
    Options

In order to answer your question, we'd need to know how the calorie goal was created. Is it a deficit for you? If so, how much of a deficit? Is it already taking the calories you're burning through exercise into account?
  • Smacfit_
    Options

In order to answer your question, we'd need to know how the calorie goal was created. Is it a deficit for you? If so, how much of a deficit? Is it already taking the calories you're burning through exercise into account?

I calculated on the IIFYM website and I did need to put in exercise there so I think it does take it into account
    Unsure of my actual deficit though...I picked the one where it takes longer and I get to eat more lol
  • janejellyroll
    Options

I calculated on the IIFYM website and I did need to put in exercise there so I think it does take it into account
    Unsure of my actual deficit though...I picked the one where it takes longer and I get to eat more lol

If your calorie goal already takes your exercise into account, then eating more will further decrease your deficit. Depending on how much of a deficit you have remaining, you'll lose weight more slowly or not at all. This is where it might be helpful to figure out how large your deficit actually is, so you can make an educated decision on whether or not you want to eat more.
  • Smacfit_
    Options

If your calorie goal already takes your exercise into account, then eating more will further decrease your deficit. Depending on how much of a deficit you have remaining, you'll lose weight more slowly or not at all. This is where it might be helpful to figure out how large your deficit actually is, so you can make an educated decision on whether or not you want to eat more.

Thank you so much, this is very helpful. Might have to go see a trainer or nutritionist to find out my real deficit. Dont want to sabotage all my work with extra cals on exercise days. Thanks again :)
  • TavistockToad
    Options

Thank you so much, this is very helpful. Might have to go see a trainer or nutritionist to find out my real deficit. Dont want to sabotage all my work with extra cals on exercise days. Thanks again :)

MFP will tell you...
  • triciale555
    triciale555 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I’ve been reading up on body recomposition which I think is what you are talking about - gaining muscle, losing fat. I’ve read two different ways and I’m only days into this, so I have no real knowledge or advice. It’s just something for you to look into.
  • Smacfit_
    Options
    Thank you!