Month 'o Challenges - Week 3 (open to all)

Options
It's the third week of August already?!??! Time flies when you're being challenged!!

Here are the rules! There will be 2 challenges - 1 food related and 1 exercise related.
The week begins Monday morning and ends on Sunday night. Post away with successes, challenges, questions or venting!

FOOD - Do you even know what you're fat, carb, protein %s are? Are yours set by MFP or have you tweaked them for your personal journey? How often are you under or over by huge amounts??? This week, pick ONE. Pick your fat, carb or protein and be within 5 (under or over) of your goal. Note: if you want to see your % breakdown and/or change it, click on "goals" on the "My Home" tab. Just like the challenges of the last two weeks, it's slow and steady and one step at a time (choose 1 of the groups and focus on it this week, there's no rush to get all 3 perfect in 1 week).

EXERCISE - Are you on a set schedule? Run on Monday, Weights on Tuesday, Rest on Wednesday, etc etc etc? Your body may be bored!! Bored = comfortable and comfortable = plateau!!! This week, your goal is to try a new exercise or workout and do it 2 times, not just once!!! Go to Target/Wal Mart and buy yourself the 30 Day Shred (you know you've wanted to try it) or try to take your workout outside instead of in the gym. No treadmill or stationary bike for you 2 times this week!

Replies

• lazatin
    lazatin Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    So funny you pickes this exercise this week...i have added in bike riding everyonce in a shile to change it up and try to pick different DVD and parts of the body to work out.......Cool!
  • cheri0627
    cheri0627 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    The food part isn't so hard for me, because I am pretty much where I want to be as far as my percentages go (although I've never changed where MFP put them by default).

The exercise one is hard for me. I do classes 4 days a week, and not much time for other things. 3 of my classes are always different. (The fourth is Olympic lifting and by definition that's always the same other than we do clean and jerk one week and snatch the next.) I'm not sure that I can add something different in, but I'll try.
  • lazatin
    Options
    Ok..for the 3rd week goal i am going to watch my fat...that one tens to vary quite a bit......for a new exercise I bought a whole bunch of $1.00 video from Dollar Tree that I have not tried yet or I'm gonna check out some on Exercise TV..there is an interesting belly dancing one I think I should try! I'll let ya know :)
  • Cateyes0831
    Cateyes0831 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Sounds fun! I'm in :happy:

I think I am going to pick up 30 Day Shred tomorrow morning :smile:
  • love_30034
    Options
    I have been doing the 30 days shred but scared to move up to 2nd level so my challenge this week is to move to level 2 food challenge is a breeze welll sometime its hard for me and that sugar so i will try the sugar to challenge on
  • mosneakers
    mosneakers Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I'm going to have a very busy (and likely stressful week) with preparing for orientations for my students. Instead of taking that out on anyone, or turning to food, I'm going to do some kickboxing!!! Ohhhhh, yeah, don't mess with Mo!!!

The food one is going to be a little tricky for me because of the exercise. I don't like eating all of my calories back and all of that is adjusted when you increase the amount of calories you're "supposed" to eat each day. Why would I want to eat all that fat (even the good fat) when I just worked so hard to try to get it off? I'm still really struggling with that concept.
  • cml_b
    cml_b Posts: 8
    Options
    Reporting back to this challenge. I will go on an outdoor camp next weekend, so hiking for hours through the woods will be my sports. I've also resolved to buy a bathsuit, and look up classes on swimming technique.

Food related will be protein. Goal is to get close to the limits, from tomorrow on. (Can't go today, shops are closed :-)).
  • Bunnzye
    Bunnzye Posts: 39
    Options
    This will be fun. I'm really good with my protein, so I think I should start watching the carbs - I really need to, so that's my goal. Went through my dust-collection of old VHS exercises and will work on tummy and thighs for a change. Good ideas, Mosneakers.
  • lazatin
    Options
    Had 2 fat left for today....didn't do any new exercise but did walk as of now 19,848 steps:)( I know it was last week) but maybe i will see if I can keep up with MO!
  • mosneakers
    Options
    Good morning, challengers!!
    Well, I was one over with my carbs yesterday, yay!!

So, last night I did Leslie Sansone's kickboxing and I liked it. I bought P90X a few years ago, so that will be my next kickboxing workout.
    Also, had a little experience in the forest preserve on Sunday morning (creepy dude wanting to run with me), so I've been forbidden to run in the forest preserve until the pepper spray the bf bought comes in. I really wanted to run this morning, so I ran around the neighborhood (only did that once a few years ago and hated it) - hated it again this morning. Not quite sure what it was that made me hate it (maybe I missed my little doggy that passed away 2 years ago, or maybe I just am not comfortable enough with my neighbors seeing me running. I'm glad I tried it, but likely won't do that again. Went home and finished up the workout with Leslie's "Big Burn."

I hope you all have a lovely day! :flowerforyou:
  • lazatin
    Options
    Mo~ Don't worry..it was the first day..you can do it with those carbs! Thank God nothing happened with the creepy dude...don't blame your BF...I thought about that the other day while walking..creepy dude that might pop out...and then I thought, hey ,I could probabky kick his *kitten* so I clenched my fists while walking that part. I jog/walk at the track, no way would I do it in my neighborhood! IThe kids and i went for a walk and ended up at the other end of town in a cool park..they ahd so much faun..change is good.....and since we walked i burned calories...usually i would just load them in the van..this biking and walking is really paying off..to bad with MN winters and starting work again it won't happen as much...I'm gonna miss that! I also oticed that I walked 7197 steps so far today and yesterday was a whopping 20682! Holy Hannah! Have a great day!
  • AParker1974
    AParker1974 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I can do this! :)
  • lazatin
    Options
    Ok so toady went pretty well...we ended up walking to another park that is on the other side of town and then I did some tapes and some exercise off the TV..I did Belly Dancing, which is like Hula dancing and I miss that..so that was fun..I also did Hip Hop Dance..that was a little harder but still fun..I have 2 fat left for today which is good since I had yummy pizza for supper and ice cream :) Oh Yeah, i also walked 12,202 steps! Hope everyone had a great day!
  • mosneakers
    Options
    Tried P90X Kenpo yesterday and hated all 15 minutes I did of it - hate that Tony Horton, I'd rather have Jillian yelling at me!

My protien/carbs/fat are all over the place but I've hit the goal for carbs on Monday and fat yesterday - NOT really what the goal for this week is calling for, but at least it's progress!

Laz - you are a walking machine - and I love the new stuff that you're doing. I am going to be on my feet all day tomorrow and Satruday morning. I'm going to need a foot rub after all that - but I'll have a big 'ol smile when I post my steps - had a little over 10,000 yesterday and (I'm my most annoying high-pitched voice) asked the bf if my pepper spray is ever going to come in!!! I need a run, gosh darn it!!! :wink:
  • lazatin
    Options
    Good evening everyone~ Not as many steps today..only about 8000..bike riding and Dr. appts today. I did good with my fat had 22 left for the day but did earn extra working out! Didn't do any new workout today but will probably give the belly dancing one another try. I did the bike path and shaved off almost three minutes..am super excited about that....now if my body just wouldn't hurt. Have a great evening!
  • mosneakers
    Options
    OK, so I'm at 8106 steps as of right now. Ohhhhh, I'm guessing I'll be at at least 12,000 before the day ends. OMG I'm tired!!!

It's been really hard for me to pick one thing (fat, carb, protein) to focus on this week. I"m hitting the goals on different things, which I'm not complaning about, but I feel like I should be picking one thing and sticking to it.
  • AParker1974
    Options
    OK, so I'm at 8106 steps as of right now. Ohhhhh, I'm guessing I'll be at at least 12,000 before the day ends. OMG I'm tired!!!

It's been really hard for me to pick one thing (fat, carb, protein) to focus on this week. I"m hitting the goals on different things, which I'm not complaning about, but I feel like I should be picking one thing and sticking to it.

I have also had a hard time picking one thing to focus on this week. So far this week (Mon-Thurs) I am at 60,856 steps :happy:
  • lazatin
    Options
    The good, the bad and the ugly:

Good-I biked twice today..once to the park and the bike path which i did in 16:38..13 seconds faster than yesterday.

Bad-Had a free taco in a bag after a school meeting and banana bread I buy at a garge sale every year fogot to put on pedometer

Ugly-My food diary..taco in a bag was more than I expected, all the umbers on my food diary are RED! over 22 in fat, luckly tomorrow is a new day!
  • AParker1974
    Options
    The good, the bad and the ugly:

Good-I biked twice today..once to the park and the bike path which i did in 16:38..13 seconds faster than yesterday.

Bad-Had a free taco in a bag after a school meeting and banana bread I buy at a garge sale every year fogot to put on pedometer

Ugly-My food diary..taco in a bag was more than I expected, all the umbers on my food diary are RED! over 22 in fat, luckly tomorrow is a new day!

We all have our bad days...the main thing is not to give up!! You are doing great !!
  • mosneakers
    Options
    I've been seeing how good you all are doing with your logging, eating and exercising!!! Great job!

So, week 3 has come to an end.
    I have to admit, I didn't pick a food group to monitor. I know that all three are important and I tried to stay as close to the goal as possible for each. I think it's important to get a balance of all of these things (great rationalization for half-assing that part of the challenge, I know).

As for exercise, I tried kicking boxing and the stationary bike. I think I have to find the right kickboxing instructor. Ms. Sansone is great, but I think I'd rather have a whole workout of kickboxing (without the walking/jogging). Did I mention that I hated the P90X workout? It was just lame and I couldn't even get through it. I also tried the stationary bike. It was a challenge and I did about 3 miles in 15 minutes, but the calorie burn was not there. But, I tried them both.

I'm about to post the last challenge of August. Can't wait to hear how you all did this week!