Is there such thing as a healthy pizza?

Options
eddied91
eddied91 Posts: 33 Member
Hello all,
I really crave pizza everyday and im definetly not going to go and order a dominoes or have a frozen one... so does anyone know any healthy pizza receipes?
thankyouu

Replies

• dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    My market sells frozen whole wheat pizza crust. I use it with fresh chopped tomatoes, low fat mozz. cheese, spinach or what ever I have in the freezer or frig. Make sure the crust is spread thin and I don't eat more then 2 slices. Really good.
  • Diary_Queen
    Diary_Queen Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    check out flatout.com they have a flatbread that can be used as a pizza crust.... or there's a recipe that uses a huge portabello mushroom cap instead of a bread/crust that's an ovo-lacto vegetarian version... i think that one is on some p90x workout recipe sites
  • Leslietheriot
    Leslietheriot Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    There's a recipe on the internet for cauliflower pizza crust. I haven't tried it yet but I may as it is low carb (and of course veggies are good for ya) :)
  • muitobem
    muitobem Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Newman's has a healthy/organic Pizza....and Kashi makes some great pizza's as well...
  • wanetam
    wanetam Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I am going to have pizza tonight from Dominos. lol . In one slice of a veggie pizza there is 190 calories. You cannot go your whole life without ever eating pizza again. Everything in moderation. Good luck
  • Leslietheriot
    Leslietheriot Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    The portabello mushroom one is good too! I have tried that one. You just put your toppings on it and pop it in the oven til the cheese is melted.
  • aa1440
    aa1440 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I make my own pizza. I get wheat crust pizza shell from the grocery.
    Use fresh peppers, onion, mushrooms, or whatever you want from the grocery.
    97% ground beef or fat free pepperoni (Hormel is great) or whatever meat you want.
    A good pizza sauce from the grocery.

It cost less than any pizza joint and it's healthier for you.

Make sure you log in all the ingredients in the "recipe" section.
  • Olivia1977
    Olivia1977 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    How about a whole grain english muffin or bagel topped the way you want?! Or try a toasted multi-grain or whole wheat waffle!
  • GuamGrly
    GuamGrly Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Definitely attempt to make a pizza using the flat out wraps. I have tried them different ways...using pizza sauce or using seasoned chop tomatoes in place of the sauce and added a variety of toppings. I am a huge pizza fan and this definitely pleases my cravings.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Make or buy a whole grain crust, top with reduced fat cheese and plenty of veggies. Not exactly low cal so you probably wouldn't want to eat it every day, but nothing unhealthy there.
  • myukniewicz
    myukniewicz Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    1. check out your grocery store- they sell whole wheat pizza crusts. use low-fat mozz cheese and load up on your favorite veggies! spinach, tomatoes, onions, peppers, are some of my favorites!

2. make individual pizzas- use the 100-cal english muffins, and use reduced sodium tomato sauce, low fat mozz and veggies! you can also do them on wraps. i use whole wheat wraps (the ones i use are an amazing 60cal a wrap) and make them the same way. a quick tip, is toast the wrap prior to puting on the sauce and toppings and re-toasting.

3. make them using portabella mushroom caps instead of a crust - take out the stem, and scoop out the ribs, roast in oven for a about 8 minutes, dab out the moisture that accumlates with a paper towel. fill with tomato sauce, low fat cheese and your choice of toppings.

4. portion controle is also important - when making your individual pizza's try using the low-sodium/low-fat mozz cheese sticks. one stick is like 60 calories. i tear mine up and lay it on top of my individual pizzas. they melt great and you have a perfect amount of cheese every time without having to measure!!!
  • LauraMarie37
    LauraMarie37 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Yes! I definitely think so. Low calorie? Maybe not. (You could have mid-calorie - 125-200 calories for a sixth of the pizza - but not low-calorie.) Healthy? YES! As someone said above, use canned tomatoes or slices of tomatoes (or even mix canned tomatoes in with regular tomato sauce to up the nutrient value.) Use homemade crust, or store bought crust you mix in wheat germ and/or lots of basil and oregano for added fiber. Add extra veggies - spinach and bell peppers are my favorite. And go sort of light on the cheese, or mix in feta cheese crumbles along with the shredded mozzarella to have some lower-fat cheese.

I love pizza and eat it all the time - I just measure all the ingredients carefully and make room for it in my calories! (And I think a high-veggie pizza is actually way healthier than a lot of other things you could be eating!)
  • nsimportant
    nsimportant Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Pizza 4 servings.

Dry Yeast, 1 tsp around 30 cals
    Deli Turkey Breast 200 g mine has 160 cals
    Passata, 200 g 50 cals
    Spelt flour 250 g 850 cals
    Gorgonzola 100 g 350 cals
    Spices and salt
    No need for oil

Its 1440 or 360 cals per serving 40 carbs 10 fats and 23 protein. Eat and enjoy!
    fp1k4i.jpg
    Now whats unhealthy here?
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I'm going to try roasting a pita with pizza sauce, veggies and no cheese. I never get cheese on my pizza (can't handle casein) but it still curbs the craving...just choose 2 toppings instead of loading it up, and make one topping a veggie. I usually go for green pepper and mushrooms with no cheese and thin crust.
  • trinajjjj
    Options
    http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/cauliflower-pizza

I just made this Cauliflower Crust Pizza tonight.... Amazing to say the least!!! You can use whatever topping you want. I even added a lil seasoned ground turkey.... Try it! you will love it!!!!
  • SouLThinking
    SouLThinking Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    The flat-out pizza is awesome and if you use lots of veggies and maybe turkey pepperoni the calories are low. Also, use reduced fat cheese too. A whole pizza on one of these is less than 300 cal. It's like a thin crust pizza. Very filling.
  • bblueprintlovee
    Options
    You know what I do when I want pizza?

Take a tortilla, lay it out on a baking sheet (or two if I'm cooking for my mother as well). Spread some sauce (sometimes alfredo, sometimes cheese, sometimes pizza sauce depending on my craving), put some cheese over that, veggies if I feel like it, pepperoni if I feel like it, meats if I feel like it, whatever my mood is, that's what I top it with, then bake it in the oven until the cheese is melted. The tortilla gets nice and crispy and it's amazing.

Low calorie, too, depending on your ingredients.
  • lulola954
    lulola954 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    You can buy whole wheat pita bread for your dough and purchase fresh veggies like mushroms, bell peppers, onions, etc. You can also use shredded fat-free mozerrella cheese, shredded rice milk cheese or soy cheese as a healthy cheese substitute. And make sure use a plain tomato sauce that contains no salt and no sugar, you can make your own sauce by adding italian seasoning and natural herbs yo it. If you want the sauce to be sweet, add a little bit of Stevia sweetner or a teaspoon of Agave Nectar. I'm not sure about the calorie numbers but is sure taste like the real thing. This mini pizza will take 10- 15 minutes to cook @ 375 degrees in the oven. Enjoy!
  • ssdivot
    ssdivot Posts: 193
    Options
    For kind of like a calzone, I use a Sara Lee pita pocket, two tablespoons of Ragu sauce or the like, onions, a serving (17 pieces) of Hormel turkey pepperoni, and 1/4 cup of skim mozzarella and I put it on my Foreman grill clone...it tastes great and is 250 calories. About 1100 sodium though, mostly from the turkey pepperoni. I might try replacing that with chicken or something! Anyway I love it, had one today in fact!

ssdivot
  • chezmama
    chezmama Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Tomato Pizza is delicious:

Use a ready made pizza crust. I have used pita bread to make a single serve version.
    Lay thinly sliced tomatoes in a single layer all over the crust.
    Drizzle with olive oil.
    Salt and pepper as desired.
    Season with basil as desired....fresh or dried. This is what gives the pizza it's amazing flavor
    Sprinkle with chopped onion, chopped bell peppers and sliced black olives.
    Top with shredded mozzerella cheese.
    Bake at 375 till cheese is well melted.
    Slice and enjoy,

I don't believe it is any less calories than regular pizza, but with all it's fresh ingredients, it has to be healthier.