Weight loss with hypothyroidism

Options
Hello! I’m Valerie, 21 years old. I’m the mother of a beautiful daughter. I’m currently on a weight loss journey, since after my pregnancy I gained more weight than I’d ever actually admit to. I struggle with hypothyroidism, and know that can play a huge roll in my struggles with weight loss. I’m currently having a good bit of success with 16:8 fasting, but I’m still missing the motivation, encouragement and accountability of others. If anyone would like to give/receive all of that, it’d be very much appreciated!

Replies

• kkneditor
    kkneditor Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hey! I used to have hyperthyroidism and when I got on the meds, I gained a lot of weight, then I had twins. The good news is I am no longer on medication, so I understand your struggles! I am starting my journey now to a more healthier weight!
  • KristaMac88
    KristaMac88 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I have hypothyroidism as well, on meds, which i can shamefully admit i forget to take daily. I need to loose a good 30+ pounds. was overweight before getting preg but then had 2 babies in 2 years and gained/kept on another 20lbs. I am trying to do low carb, and get back to doing 16:8, i had a bit of success whenever i did stick to it for 2 weeks or so but then would fall off the wagon again and gain it back.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    If you are struggling with it, does that mean you and your doctor have not yet found the proper med level for you yet? Once it is being properly treated, it should have minimal impact on weight loss.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    I've had my thyroid removed--so hypo too. As long as your meds are right, then losing weight is no easier or harder than anyone else. Weigh your food, count your calories, log correctly and you'll be good.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Welcome aboard!

First of all there is nothing to worry about other than a temporary increase in water weight. We gain and lose just as those with normal thyroids. There are several elite level athletes with diagnosed hypothyroidism. There are several people on MFP who have successfully lost and maintained for several years.

Are you working with an endocrinologist and do you know your full thyroid panel including TSH, fT3, fT4, and rT3?

I had my thyroid removed 18 years ago and put on 70 lbs over the next 14 years. Nothing to do with my thyroid - I had no idea how many calories I was eating and stopped working out transitioning from a high active military career to a cushy civilian life. I found MFP in 2014 through my wife and lost 60 lbs in the first year through a moderate calorie deficit and increasing my activity. I've been in maintenance for the past 3 years.
  • mymachineworld
    mymachineworld Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    This was a relief to read! I was just diagnosed like 6 months ago and everyone is saying it's so hard to lose weight and stay fit.