Eating within 30 minutes of waking--fact or fiction

Options
2»

Replies

• garystrickland357
    garystrickland357 Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    Another way to think abut it - does it matter if you gas up your car at night or in the morning? Does it just matter that there is fuel in the gas tank?
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Fiction.

Metabolism is nothing more than a series of biochemical reactions and doesn't care when you input food.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Another way to think abut it - does it matter if you gas up your car at night or in the morning? Does it just matter that there is fuel in the gas tank?

Not where I live, but I've seen in Metro Vancouver where the gas price in the morning is 10-15 cents a liter more than at night.

But that's beside the point :)
  • netitheyeti
    netitheyeti Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    I personally just prefer to eat when I'm actually hungry. Sometimes that's right after waking up, sometimes I just have coffee and eat several hours later. Either way I tend to keep my breakfasts light because a large breakfast usually means I'm really hungry later in the evening. Same thing happens if I eat lunch too early (my mother eats it at 11am sometimes when she has work in the afternoon, if I join her i'm hungry by 4pm, and then feel the need to eat again at 9-10pm)
  • TrishSeren
    TrishSeren Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Fiction, meal timing is personal preference.
  • flowerhorsey
    flowerhorsey Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I think I accidentally woo'd someone as I was scrolling and reading.. Sorry :/ anyway..I think your coffee in the am sounds delicious and I eat when I'm hungry :)
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    I eat every 2.5 to 3 hours and I always fuel my body before my workouts. It is part of an eating plan that works for me..in an amazing way..so I do it.

I've tried to get fit other ways.. just cico and it was easier to eat less often and less overall..but I never lost the weight.
  • olive1968
    olive1968 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I love no longer feeling forced to eat breakfast. I generally don’t eat between 8pm and 12 noon. It helps me to keep my allotted calories in that window and am almost never hungry.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    jlfbw wrote: »
    I do not eat breakfast. My eating schedule is from 12-8pm. I found that when I ate many small meals throughout my day, I always had glycogen to burn. By eating this way, my insulin levels are lower in the morning hours and better able to reach into my fat stores for energy. This is when I work out as well. It has been very effective for losing fat.

How do you measure your insulin levels?
  • Caralarma
    Caralarma Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Absolute fiction, designed by the breakfast cereal industry to get people to buy their products
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,637 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Not where I live, but I've seen in Metro Vancouver where the gas price in the morning is 10-15 cents a liter more than at night.

My car's pocket book prefers gassing up at around 23:00.... oh, did I mention I live in Metro Vancouver :wink:

However my breakfast is all over the place. Mind you... coffee is necessary within 1 hour of waking up... or else!!!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,868 Member
    Options
    JustaJoe00 wrote: »
    sijomial wrote: »
    General rule is that 95% of the talk about metabolism is complete twaddle including "jump starting".
    While you are alive your metabolism is running.

If you aren't hungry first thing then eat later when you are.

And the myth that breakfast is "the most important meal of the day" came from people trying to sell their breakfast cereals.

Growing up i was convinced of that breakfast idea. its taken me years to out grow that habit. I notice now if i have breakfast i want to eat more all day.

Yeah, me too ... it's like eating breakfast flips an "ON" switch for my appetite. If I wait until 10:30 or 11:00 am to have a little snack, I can usually keep things under control all day.

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,868 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »

My car's pocket book prefers gassing up at around 23:00.... oh, did I mention I live in Metro Vancouver :wink:

However my breakfast is all over the place. Mind you... coffee is necessary within 1 hour of waking up... or else!!!

Oh Yeah!

Cup of strong black coffee + tall glass of cold water and I'm ready to go. But without that, I'm a zombie.

• Soul_mate
    Soul_mate Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Hi answer is simple, there are lot of myth without scientific backing. Best comes from experience. If you are all good with your current habit, continue it.